Strategy For Reopening International Travel

pathologix

Strategy For Reopening International Travel   

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you believe should guide Thailand's international-travel strategy?

• Continue to keep borders closed to most international travel until the global daily number of new COVID-19 cases dramatically falls
    • Make bilateral or "bubble" travel agreements only with countries that likewise have a history of ZERO locally transmitted confirmed cases
    • Make bilateral or "bubble" travel agreements only with countries that have the very lowest number of new daily cases per capita (i.e. fewer than 1 per million population)
    • Allow travel from all countries
    • Other
  2. 2. Prefer which countries?

• Make bilateral or "bubble" travel agreements with countries that provide significant investment capital into Thailand
    • Make bilateral or "bubble" travel agreements with countries who provide significant tourism spending into Thailand
    • Both
    • Neither
  3. 3. Restrictions?

• Require health certificates, insurance, quarantine and/or similar restrictions on incoming international arrivals
    • Do NOT require health certificates, insurance, quarantine and/or similar restrictions on incoming international arrivals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/21 at 05:00 PM

Yep obviously TESTS are the only way.

IF they are accurate (did not search too much but it does not look enough sure ?...).

2 days quarantine is borderline i would say. A rapid test would be much better. Or test before departure.

Any other complicated list of requirements, documents, and possible quarantine, are just a no-go for anyone with a working brain and a minimum of freedom, unless absolute necessity.

So i am kind of (not) surprised to see many governments trying both to get tourists back but still make it unreal, at least at the beginning... 

EDIT : so this poll (sondage in french) does not makes sense imo, too restrictive, i could not answer. Like, hopefully, many.

Edited by Sambotte
  • Like 1

Actually ONLY THE TEST BEFORE DEPARTURE MAKES SENSE imo.

Imagine you are good, you quarantine 2 days on arrival, still ok but wait... ONE guy on the plane was positive ! You are f... At least for 2 more weeks.

• Like 1

If I had to do testing before flight , testing on arrival and quarantine I would go and be willing to pay.

I can’t imagine numbers of people willing to do this would be too great and so would be manageable.

Before lockdown however a few immigration officials at BKK airport got infected. And that is all takes to start a new spread so understand why they are so careful. 

• Confused 1

I voted :

Create bilateral bubbles between countries with low infections / million . Since this is the most fair , 1st have everything under control in own country , when it is , ok , you can travel .

Nr of investments or tourists should not be a reason to be in front or against a certain country .

Certain regulations have to be there . I think certificate before flight for test and at arrival for test , maybe within very short quarantine ( 2 days ?) is acceptable for many people .

The answers given are the ones which i believe to be most fair at these times , and prob need to be checked at situation , so if situation goes better , less rules , if situation worsen , more rules/bans .

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, sezze said:

maybe within very short quarantine ( 2 days ?) is acceptable for many people .

I don't feel it's acceptable for any tourist, myself included.

Even travel bubbles are risky, they keep changing them in Europe from green to yellow.

Even if you book three days in advance for a bubble, all of the sudden you might be required a covid test, that was not needed 24 hours ago.

Should you come out positive for a covid test, bye bye vacation, plus mandatory quarantine. One reason why people are reluctant to even have one done.

One of my aquaintances has a travel agency and all he does is rebookings. Hundreds per day. All day long.

Edited by lkv

17 hours ago, lkv said:

I don't feel it's acceptable for any tourist, myself included.

Even travel bubbles are risky, they keep changing them in Europe from green to yellow.

Even if you book three days in advance for a bubble, all of the sudden you might be required a covid test, that was not needed 24 hours ago.

Should you come out positive for a covid test, bye bye vacation, plus mandatory quarantine. One reason why people are reluctant to even have one done.

One of my aquaintances has a travel agency and all he does is rebookings. Hundreds per day. All day long.

Ok , i admit it isn't the way it used to be , but how do you see it opening and get travel again ? No rules , forget it , not gonna happen . Waiting for vaccine ? Too long , will take at least 6 months more before 1st vaccine might be out , and then it still needs provided to people .

With the testing they and you can see who is infected , and create a safer place .

Remember the longer they wait for reopening , the bigger the damage .While i was/am totally agreed on lockdowns , there is also a time to get out of lockdown , in phases and with needed precautions , and i feel that my approach might be a window of opening .

20 hours ago, Sambotte said:

magine you are good, you quarantine 2 days on arrival, still ok but wait... ONE guy on the plane was positive ! You are f... At least for 2 more weeks.

What if you get the bus?

or a taxi and walk over?

Edited by BritManToo

21 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Can't be arsed. They'll have to make it easier than the above or the tourist money is not coming back. Thais will be forced to reopen by their own greed.

You're right, anything harder than a temperature check and a signed declaration, and they'll get NO tourists.

If it costs me extra time or money, I ain't going.

I've money in my pocket for 2 holidays to Cambodia at the moment.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/29/2020 at 11:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Allow travel from any country - the Certificate of Entry requirement is absolute idiocy:

The Philippines seem to have a sensible approach to all this with testing on arrival and quarantining in a hotel until the test results are known (approx 2 days).

If people have a Covid-19 test before departure, the chance of importing Covid-19 is minimal. 

And, if people also have a Covid-19 test on arrival, quarantine in a hotel until the test result comes back negative, the chance of importing and spreading Covid-19 into Thailand is minimal. 

Nothing is water tight, however, a common sense and non-hysterical approach to re-opening Thailand and kick-starting tourism and the economy is essential. 

Currently the requirements to apply for the application of ‘Certificate of Entry’ are outright daft: 

1) Covid-19 Test 

2) Fit to Fly Certificate

3) Marriage Certificate (or other proof of reason to return)

4) Flight Booking Confirmation

5) ASQ Booking Conformation 

6) Proof of Insurance which includes Covid-19 cover (in excess of $100,000 eq.)

7) Copy of Passport and Visa 

8 ) Consent to be quarantined form (signed).

E-mail all the above to the Embassy - Await approval: How long would this take? 10 days?

Once / IF the ‘Certificate of Entry’ is issued....  depending on how long it took to approve...

1) Take another Covid-19 Test (within 72 hrs of your departure)

2) Obtain another Fit to Fly Certificate (within 72 hrs of your departure)

3) Re-confirm your flight booking

4) Re-confirm your ASQ booking 

5) Turn up at Airport for your flight with all your documents. 

"Allow travel from any country - the Certificate of Entry requirement is absolute idiocy."

Really??

Do you read the news? There are many countries where the numbers are skyrocketing because of opening economies to early. US for example. EU will ban flights from the US according to news sites online yesterday.

What many people fail to see is that Thailand is not a stand alone country in regard to tourism. No country in the world is a stand alone country at this point. Suppose Thailand opens the borders for anyone to come, no tests, no quarantine, no demand for insurance, but do so without bilateral agreements with other governments. As it is now - most countries demand quarantine for anyone entering. So a tourist that come for a holiday in Thailand has to take into consideration 2 extra weeks quarantine at his home country upon return. Who will come here (or go anywhere) under these conditions? 

Unless all (or most) countries remove all covid 19 restrictions, the only way to have any sort of international travel is by way of bilateral agreements between government, or simply put - bubble travel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's been 30 years and the first HIV vaccine isn't out yet.

Why do you think a COVID vaccine will be easier?

Because at its core it’s a flu virus and they have decades of experience making flu vaccines but typically you get a vaccine next year for this years flu and that pattern will continue with this flu virus.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Allow travel from any country - the Certificate of Entry requirement is absolute idiocy:

The Philippines seem to have a sensible approach to all this with testing on arrival and quarantining in a hotel until the test results are known (approx 2 days).

If people have a Covid-19 test before departure, the chance of importing Covid-19 is minimal. 

And, if people also have a Covid-19 test on arrival, quarantine in a hotel until the test result comes back negative, the chance of importing and spreading Covid-19 into Thailand is minimal. 

Nothing is water tight, however, a common sense and non-hysterical approach to re-opening Thailand and kick-starting tourism and the economy is essential. 

Currently the requirements to apply for the application of ‘Certificate of Entry’ are outright daft: 

1) Covid-19 Test 

2) Fit to Fly Certificate

3) Marriage Certificate (or other proof of reason to return)

4) Flight Booking Confirmation

5) ASQ Booking Conformation 

6) Proof of Insurance which includes Covid-19 cover (in excess of $100,000 eq.)

7) Copy of Passport and Visa 

8 ) Consent to be quarantined form (signed).

E-mail all the above to the Embassy - Await approval: How long would this take? 10 days?

Once / IF the ‘Certificate of Entry’ is issued....  depending on how long it took to approve...

1) Take another Covid-19 Test (within 72 hrs of your departure)

2) Obtain another Fit to Fly Certificate (within 72 hrs of your departure)

3) Re-confirm your flight booking

4) Re-confirm your ASQ booking 

5) Turn up at Airport for your flight with all your documents. 

Uh, you forgot one (maybe more) the letter from the wife stating why it's urgent that you return!  Love that one.  Can you imagine the response from most wives: "No way, leave the old <deleted> there. Been nice and peaceful here thanks."

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Allow travel from any country - the Certificate of Entry requirement is absolute idiocy."

Really??

Do you read the news? There are many countries where the numbers are skyrocketing because of opening economies to early. US for example. EU will ban flights from the US according to news sites online yesterday.

Yes, really. If people are being tested for Covid-19 and having to show that proof before getting on a flight the need for all the other requirements makes little sense. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:31 PM, sezze said:

Waiting for vaccine ? Too long , will take at least 6 months more before 1st vaccine might be out , and then it still needs provided to people .

And then it needs to be effective !!! -

If its possible,  by the time a vaccine for the Q1/Q2 2020 vSARS-CoV-2 virus is available the virus may have evolved (as many do - antigenic drift) and the Vaccine may not be effected against more recent strains as they circulate. 

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, really. If people are being tested for Covid-19 and having to show that proof before getting on a flight the need for all the other requirements makes little sense. 

I agree.  Test people before they are allowed to board, then upon arrival, test them with the two most reputable tests that are available ( seeing as both tests aren't 100% accurate), then test one more time 24 hours later and let them go.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:07 PM, BritManToo said:

You're right, anything harder than a temperature check and a signed declaration, and they'll get NO tourists.

If it costs me extra time or money, I ain't going.

I've money in my pocket for 2 holidays to Cambodia at the moment.

Rumour has it Canbodge also wants insurance and a deposit.... not yet verified.

Roadrunner is on a flight to Europe tomorrow, I know I can't get back into Thailand anytime soon and if they want extravagant outlay for insurance I ain't coming back.

I am tired of their greed, ignorance and stupidity. Wait till they find out the tourists are not coming.

Beep! Beep! Gone.......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I am tired of their greed, ignorance and stupidity. Wait till they find out the tourists are not coming.

Let's not forget that pre-covid, tourism was dropping steeply in Thailand, the Chinese market and not only, for a variety of other reasons that have been mentioned countless times, that I will not go into.

Let's also not forget that they were hoping for a breakthrough from Indians at that time, without sizeable results.

Teflon Thailand was already no more teflon.

Let's now add covid into the equation and wait for the result.

Villa quarantine for tourists? Insulting everybody's intelligence. What impression are they under, that Thailand is the magic Kingdom?

Edited by lkv