When can I get into Thailand?

Hi Everybody, I usually come to thailand twice a year, My flight was cancelled by KLM in june, Can anyone tell me when or how soon I can come to Thailand on a Tourist Visa, ( 30 day exempt) from Bristol, UK. ( change flight at Sripol airport, Amsterdam,) onward BKK,  Thank you Steve.

1 minute ago, HerbyJFlash said:

I agree we don’t have much hope. But S korea , Taiwan and China haven’t gone 30 days and are in the bubbles.

That's true, but very low infection/death rates apart from China, which could be true or not. I did see a graph earlier and 40.98% for Chinese, South Korea 5.29% and Taiwan 2.90%, tourist percentages and the whole of Europe was around 12%.

I left a pair of Vans, some Uniqlo shorts and new pair of pc speakers in friends room when I left in March. I thought I would be back in August, got that wrong!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Don't reckon it'll be as long as folks are thinking. They'll introduce compulsory testing at airport/quarantining or summat. If they continually hold off for year/s or whatever, it'd completely screw their economy.

From TAT's mouth to CNN's ear:

"It is still dependent on the outbreak situation, but I think at the earliest, we may see the return of tourists could be the fourth quarter of this year," Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), tells CNN Travel.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-international-tourists-covid/index.html

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect Covid-19 will spread in pockets and waves, we will live with it, we (the world) will eventually develop an immunity. 

Time will tell. If we assume hospitals can cope, and a 70% infection rate is sufficient for herd immunity, and (not yet clear) those infected develop long term immunity, and a death rate of 0.5% (it may be greater) then the US is looking at a death toll of about 1.16 million. That is several orders of magnitude greater than the rate in countries that have adopted a virus elimination strategy. Even if those countries ultimately suffer a death toll 10 times what they have so far lost, they will save many lives.

I believe the virus elimination strategy, in the medium term, will also be better for the economy. Nationals of Covid-19 free countries will rarely choose to visit countries with Covid-19 infections, but will have the confidence to travel on full aircraft within travel bubbles in countries with totally restriction free economic activity and high consumer confidence. That will not be true in countries that for the next two years suffer wave after wave of serious Covid-19 outbreaks.

I am in the same situation and apart from waiting I see only two ways:

1. buy Elite card and pray they will be allowed in with the retirees with quarantine

2. marry gf in Turkey because Thais cannot enter our countries, we cannot enter Thailand, Turkey is open and visa-free for Thais and us - not sure whether that's even possible, I just do not see other open countries Thais can go too without a visa

With marriage certificate as I understand it we would be able to get the paperwork to get in as do people now

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are still lots of questions.

I’m wondering if immunity from Covid-19 is a thing - can someone catch Covid-19 a second time within a couple of years and experience serious or life threatening symptoms ?

I’m wondering if most of the country (UK) have been exposed to Covid-19 or not, or if they will in the coming months. 

I’m wondering if Thailands numbers are real or if Covid-19 has not already spread through the nation and most were asymptotic.

I’m wondering if Thailands numbers are accurate, and if Covid-19 spreads through the nation once Thailand opens up if its not going to be hit incredibly hard. 

Wonder on - nobody is going to be wandering until this all settles down 4th quarter minimum. Next year likely (excluding EU and USA unless they get their act together)

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The UK is softening its lockdown despite continued numbers of Covid-19 cases (815 cases on July 29 - on a diminishing trend from 2905 on May 29) - There are still lots of cases in the UK, lock down is being lifted - it would seem the government has decided ‘herd immunity’ is the way forwards. 

The UK has no coherent strategy. They pay lip service to the idea of virus elimination while doing nothing serious towards that objective. Previously (as in Sweden) many in the UK did have the idea of going for herd immunity. The overloaded NHS induced them to partially change course. They now seem to be going for the worst of all worlds, continuing health risks with restrictions on foreign arrivals.

• Like 1

As you are not married to your GF they only way you can enter is as a tourist and that is on indefinite hold.

There is discussion about allowing tourists from select Asian countries wheree COVID is under control sometime in the coming months, but even that is not sure. From Europe and the Americas: probably not until there is a vaccine.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As you are not married to your GF they only way you can enter is as a tourist and that is on indefinite hold.

There is discussion about allowing tourists from select Asian countries wheree COVID is under control sometime in the coming months, but even that is not sure. From Europe and the Americas: probably not until there is a vaccine.

Agree.

Edited by blackcab
Quote reformatted. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

55 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I agree with your train of thought and would add: what is the end game here? Are the governments of countries like Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, etc that are striving to be virus free planning to keep their countries closed forever? Or are they keeping their countries closed hoping that a vaccine or cure will be developed? It seems to me that the USA, UK, Europe, South America are taking the right approach. At some point herd immunity will be achieved and those areas can go back to "normal". What if there is never a vaccine? There is still no vaccine for HIV and no successful vaccine has ever been developed for a Covid type virus. 

What if Covid-19 infection does not confer long term immunity? At that point, there will be no such thing as "herd immunity".

The answer to what Covid-19 free countries will do is that they will establish a world very much like that before Covid-19, but limited to travel (with full aircraft and no quarantine) between themselves (excluding, without quarantine those travelling from Covid-19 endemic countries).

Edited by BritTim

Say I'd like to go from LOS where I am to Vietnam (where I have in-laws) before the end of the year, a modest request I'd say. Will Vietnam look at the low rate in Thailand where I've been Covid-free for months, or at my US passport? And if I even get to Vietnam, what will Thailand look at when I try to return, my US passport or my stay in a safe country?

48 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What if Covid-19 infection does not confer long term immunity? At that point, there will be no such thing as "herd immunity".

Fair point, I’m surprised the Virologists and Doctors studying Covid-19 don’t know this already. There really is no news or information of people who have had Covid-19 and caught it a second time? 

If I’m not mistaken, there is anywhere between 1 and 3 immunity for those who have caught the ‘other’ human Coronaviruses (i.e. common cold etc). 

One of the key factors in fighting Covid-19 is the knowledge as to whether or not there is immunity. 

The answer to what Covid-19 free countries will do is that they will establish a world very much like that before Covid-19, but limited to travel (with full aircraft and no quarantine) between themselves (excluding, without quarantine those travelling from Covid-19 endemic countries).

I can also see this happening. Yet it may be a flawed approach. Nothing is water tight and attempting to prevent a virus from entering your country without herd immunity either through exposure and / or immunisation is impossible. 

Is Thailand holding onto its ‘firm lockdown’ in the hope that a vaccine becomes available and everyone is forced to take it? 

The flu vaccine is only 40-60% effective. Can a vaccine even be found? (It couldn’t for the common cold).

Edited by richard_smith237

16 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Say I'd like to go from LOS where I am to Vietnam (where I have in-laws) before the end of the year, a modest request I'd say. Will Vietnam look at the low rate in Thailand where I've been Covid-free for months, or at my US passport? And if I even get to Vietnam, what will Thailand look at when I try to return, my US passport or my stay in a safe country?

This is an interesting point: 

Will any reciprocal agreements involve point of origin or passport of origin. 

What is to stop someone from the USA flying to Vietnam and entering Thailand through that route. 

OR, what is to stop a Vietnamese returning from the US to Vietnam and entering Thailand through that route.

I think ultimately the attempts to remain ‘water-tight’ will be recognised as being untenable and ‘track and trace’ methods will have to be employed. 

i.e. Take a Covid-19 test upon arrival and remain isolated until tests are negative and the go-ahead is given. 

Also, what happens come ‘Flu Season’ - when seasonal influenza rears its ugly head, are countries going to lock down again when people start sneezing ?

2 hours ago, cerox said:

I am in the same situation and apart from waiting I see only two ways:

1. buy Elite card and pray they will be allowed in with the retirees with quarantine

2. marry gf in Turkey because Thais cannot enter our countries, we cannot enter Thailand, Turkey is open and visa-free for Thais and us - not sure whether that's even possible, I just do not see other open countries Thais can go too without a visa

With marriage certificate as I understand it we would be able to get the paperwork to get in as do people now

There is no talk of any special arrangement to let retirees in.

Elite visa is a type of tourist visa and unlikely to be able to come in until tourism resumes, which will be months from now and likely limited according to country of origin.

Spouses of Thais have not yet begin to be able to enter, it is still being discussed/arranged and far from easy.