BANGKOK
SteveMack

When can I get into Thailand?

Posted (edited)

Test me on arrival ill pay for it ......

Edited by CANSIAM

On 6/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The UK is softening its lockdown despite continued numbers of Covid-19 cases (815 cases on July 29 - on a diminishing trend from 2905 on May 29) - There are still lots of cases in the UK, lock down is being lifted - it would seem the government has decided ‘herd immunity’ is the way forwards. 

Currently during the pandemic there are less people dying in the Uk than the average per week for the same week for the last 5 years without covid. So,currently the pandemic is having zero effect on raising the number of deaths in the UK.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
On 6/30/2020 at 3:09 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The UK is softening its lockdown despite continued numbers of Covid-19 cases (815 cases on July 29 - on a diminishing trend from 2905 on May 29) - There are still lots of cases in the UK, lock down is being lifted - it would seem the government has decided ‘herd immunity’ is the way forwards. 

Currently during the pandemic there are less people dying in the Uk than the average per week for the same week for the last 5 years without covid. So,currently the pandemic is having zero effect on raising the number of deaths in the UK.

Only for the latest one week of collected stats (For England & Wales) Week ending 19-June (Week 25)

Raw Data xls attached - Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales

Up until this latest ‘one week’ of collected stats the number of deaths per week has been higher than the previous 5 year average since Mid March.

Perhaps this is herd immunity coming into effect. Or perhaps this is some form of equilibrium as the stats to date show 54,365 more deaths up to Week 25 in 2020 than the previous 5 year average [Again, source attached, xls, website linked above].

Without doubt, the number of Covid-19 deaths are decreasing - 25 at the latest count (June 29)

[Graph Source: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/united-kingdom?country=~GBR]

daily-deaths-covid-19.png

publishedweek252020.xlsx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Test me on arrival ill pay for it ......

A negative test is no guarantee that you are not infected. In fact, while tests have merit, the 14-day quarantine is the most important protection (albeit not 100%) against reintroduction of the virus into the community.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cerox said:

I am in the same situation and apart from waiting I see only two ways:

1. buy Elite card and pray they will be allowed in with the retirees with quarantine

2. marry gf in Turkey because Thais cannot enter our countries, we cannot enter Thailand, Turkey is open and visa-free for Thais and us - not sure whether that's even possible, I just do not see other open countries Thais can go too without a visa

With marriage certificate as I understand it we would be able to get the paperwork to get in as do people now

Thais visit Turkey????....Whats the scene like there compared to LOS?....be nice to find a backup option

On 6/30/2020 at 12:21 AM, SteveMack said:

Thanks, Is there any other way I can get to see my G/F and her son ? I havnt got a great deal of money,  Steve

Only fools travel with minimal money...

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Thais visit Turkey????....Whats the scene like there compared to LOS?....be nice to find a backup option

I do not know - just asking here hoping someone had thought about it before too.

Turkey is visa-free for Thais / 30 days. And it is open / no covid-restrictions. But they would have to go into quarantine when going back to Thailand so it seems not to be an option now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

All that talk about virus elimination is just wishful thinking. It might work for a remote island under ideal lab conditions, it won't work for a country such a Thailand that has millions of migrant workers and notoriously porous borders. There will be outbreaks in Thailand again and they will need to be dealt with. Eventually that will sink in.

I don't think travel bubbles will work. They're complicated to negotiate and situations change quickly.

So far, countries like Vietnam (and probably Thailand) have successfully implemented a virus elimination strategy. Whether future outbreaks (which I agree are likely) can be controlled via a test, trace, isolate strategy, we will need to wait and see.

I agree that negotiation of travel bubbles is harder than people think. It is critical that all countries within the bubble have common border control procedures with respect to countries outside the bubble, and a credible infrastructure for dealing with outbreaks. However, there are strong economic incentives for getting bubbles in place. If a country within the bubble has a sudden major outbreak, that country will need to be removed from the bubble until the outbreak is brought under control. For nearby countries, this can be done within 24 hours. By October, I expect some travel bubbles to be in place, possibly including Thailand.

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I agree that negotiation of travel bubbles is harder than people think. It is critical that all countries within the bubble have common border control procedures with respect to countries outside the bubble ...

Reading between the lines on the last published newspaper articles / quotes from officials, I think the primary hold-up is getting all countries to agree on a common-standard.

22 minutes ago, BritTim said:

By October, I expect some travel bubbles to be in place, possibly including Thailand.

I hope it is Aug 1st, for the sake of many - could do it limited to border-areas, at least - somewhat like the areas where border-pass use is permitted.