BANGKOK
webfact

Feature: Thailand's tourism struggling amid COVID-19 pandemic

Feature: Thailand's tourism struggling amid COVID-19 pandemic

Source: Xinhua | Editor: huaxia

by Chen Jiabao

s4.reutersmedia.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK, June 30 (Xinhua) -- Hotels are shuttered in the dark, bars are closed and empty food carts are seen around Bangkok's once-bustling tourism associated street. Silence shrouds the city's party land despite the easing COVID-19 lockdown measures.

"Bangkok at night is deserted as never before. I can't believe it is a tourist haven where I've been living all my life. It's almost a ghost town," said local resident Anan who lives near Sukhumvit 24, an area home to starred hotels, large shopping malls, high-end and popular restaurants in central Bangkok.

Thailand has recorded no local transmission of COVID-19 for 35 consecutive days with all of the recorded infections being Thais returning from abroad. Although the curfew imposed since April to contain coronavirus has been lifted and most businesses are allowed to open, most of them kept their doors closed.

"I sat around here the whole day. You're the second visitor to the shop. Foreigners are major visitors here, but now we could hardly see them," Apple, a masseuse in downtown Bangkok, told Xinhua.

Full story: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/29/c_139175386.htm

inhua.jpg

-- © Copyright Xinhua 2020-06-30

Letting tourists in would be a good start  thai  locals are traveling a little bit  but with the unemployment there wont be many and with thai baht being high it's not going to be good for Thailand  tourism 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Letting tourists in would be a good start  thai  locals are traveling a little bit  but with the unemployment there wont be many and with thai baht being high it's not going to be good for Thailand  tourism 

Does every single topic have to include a moan about by how high the Baht is ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Invite the Monkeys from the other province....2 for 1 banana daiquiris.....Boom Boom room 200/hr....

• Haha 2

Just now, ChakaKhan said:

Invite the Monkeys from the other province....2 for 1 banana daiquiris.....Boom Boom room 200/hr....

See if they like scally-wags or prefer dirty farangs.....more or less bananas...

2 hours ago, ozz1 said:

I think they are going to do things differently - time will tell.  And, by the way, the Baht being high against foreign currencies does not affect average Thais...

• Like 1

PM Prayut doesn't have a care in the world. Life is good for him maybe! And theirs no alternative to him next election. Oh really 

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes!

Ya, that baht affects many people who are retired 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I still don,t know anyone who knows anyone who was affected by this extremely elusive virus, and in my opinion the whole exercise was completely unnecessary, a planned media driven scaremongering drive so that some group of persons could make billions on vaccines 😞

And that 'exercise' may have saved your life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's tourism struggling amid COVID-19 pandemic

We have been reading about this more or less every day for the past 3 months - please give it a rest until "good times" arrive!!!!

• Thanks 1