Feature: Thailand's tourism struggling amid COVID-19 pandemic

webfact

Feature: Thailand's tourism struggling amid COVID-19 pandemic

Source: Xinhua | Editor: huaxia

by Chen Jiabao

s4.reutersmedia.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK, June 30 (Xinhua) -- Hotels are shuttered in the dark, bars are closed and empty food carts are seen around Bangkok's once-bustling tourism associated street. Silence shrouds the city's party land despite the easing COVID-19 lockdown measures.

"Bangkok at night is deserted as never before. I can't believe it is a tourist haven where I've been living all my life. It's almost a ghost town," said local resident Anan who lives near Sukhumvit 24, an area home to starred hotels, large shopping malls, high-end and popular restaurants in central Bangkok.

Thailand has recorded no local transmission of COVID-19 for 35 consecutive days with all of the recorded infections being Thais returning from abroad. Although the curfew imposed since April to contain coronavirus has been lifted and most businesses are allowed to open, most of them kept their doors closed.

"I sat around here the whole day. You're the second visitor to the shop. Foreigners are major visitors here, but now we could hardly see them," Apple, a masseuse in downtown Bangkok, told Xinhua.

Full story: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/29/c_139175386.htm

inhua.jpg

-- © Copyright Xinhua 2020-06-30

Letting tourists in would be a good start  thai  locals are traveling a little bit  but with the unemployment there wont be many and with thai baht being high it's not going to be good for Thailand  tourism 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Letting tourists in would be a good start  thai  locals are traveling a little bit  but with the unemployment there wont be many and with thai baht being high it's not going to be good for Thailand  tourism 

Does every single topic have to include a moan about by how high the Baht is ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ozz1 said:

I think they are going to do things differently - time will tell.  And, by the way, the Baht being high against foreign currencies does not affect average Thais...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I still don,t know anyone who knows anyone who was affected by this extremely elusive virus, and in my opinion the whole exercise was completely unnecessary, a planned media driven scaremongering drive so that some group of persons could make billions on vaccines ????

And that 'exercise' may have saved your life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

international flights are way out of anyones plans right now and into the future ,airlines are dead in the water ,and short haul has yet to recover ,and folks are cancelling hols they bought before covid appeared .so it will be a long wait for any recovery

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Keep everyone out. 

The virus is everywhere outside Thailand. It's great walking around Bangkok knowing there is little or no virus here. 

If you live in Thailand thank your lucky stars. You are in one of the best places in the world to be during a pandemic. 

And this is the best time to be a domestic tourist in Thailand. 

I agree, but with one reservation. If all the sheeple would stop wearing unnecessary masks it would instill some confidence in the populace, that things are not so bad. The famous Thai smile needs to be seen again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

It's high on my list of things that will decide if I visit and how long I stay,take away Covid19 and it's going to be the deciding factor for next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mosan said:

I think they are going to do things differently - time will tell.  And, by the way, the Baht being high against foreign currencies does not affect average Thais...

Really ? What about Thais who work in the industries that export products . Auto, auto parts, electronics, farming , fisheries , gems, machinery, clothing to name a few million workers . Most of whom are significantly affected by high baht follow ons .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Wouldn't really call it a "moan"
as the topic is about Thailand's tourism
which as anyone who stays in Thailand will know
has suffered over the years in correlation to a strengthening baht
sure numbers were kept afloat with Chinese tourists
who spend most of their money in China, when they purchase their package.

The best way Thailand could boost its international tourism right now
is to weaken the Baht
and make Thailand much more attractive to everyone
it would also generate spending and investment here by foreigners

Obviously before any real tourism can be restarted
international flights must resume, without the hoops to jump through
bottom line:
they will never get tourism back to what it was, until everything is back to how it was.

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 7:10 AM, ozz1 said:

"Letting tourists in" would negate all the efforts made by the Thai people over the past 3 months. I sincerely hope that the government will see that tourism in Thailand as we have known it will not come back any time soon, and that they very little control over this situation. But this should be an opportunity to get rid of of all the cheap, dodgy and sleazy components of the inglorious past. And to do so, without a major uprising,  they'll have to come up with a plan to assist and re-train several million people.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:30 AM, phantomfiddler said:

I still don,t know anyone who knows anyone who was affected by this extremely elusive virus, and in my opinion the whole exercise was completely unnecessary, a planned media driven scaremongering drive so that some group of persons could make billions on vaccines ????

The US dithered and 100,000 lost their lives. Brazil did the same and 10's of thousands died.

58 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

"Letting tourists in" would negate all the efforts made by the Thai people over the past 3 months. I sincerely hope that the government will see that tourism in Thailand as we have known it will not come back any time soon, and that they very little control over this situation. But this should be an opportunity to get rid of of all the cheap, dodgy and sleazy components of the inglorious past. And to do so, without a major uprising,  they'll have to come up with a plan to assist and re-train several million people.

If i was in Thailand now, i would think the exact same way. It's a uptopia rite there now. No virus, no Chinese tourists, and a superstar in tourist areas where there are no tourists.

Unfortunately the economy will mean they will have no choice but to open. The economy will shrink, and all those shiny new helicopters, military stock they love to buy won't be able to bough (oh and any health spending, education, social service they spend on). And not to mention the huge loss of jobs.

Let's hope they can open up in a safe way. The last thing anyone wants is Thailand to open back up to mass tourism and let the virus run rife in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, purcho said:

Really ? What about Thais who work in the industries that export products . Auto, auto parts, electronics, farming , fisheries , gems, machinery, clothing to name a few million workers . Most of whom are significantly affected by high baht follow ons .

Personally, I think the real issue being discussed here was foreigners and their purchasing power.  I'm glad that you are showing genuine concern for the locals - however I doubt it.  In all fairness, you are right, but I stand by my premise that "average" Thais are not affected as much...