5 am and Getting Up

Pilotman

Im up at  5  will  walk round the land see if anything interesting is crawling round, got 16rai, look at com then start working on whatever the latest thing is to do by 6am, by 12 Im done and probably  will go to sleep for 45mins, in the afternoon do very  little  as its  too  hot, may venture out again at 4-30-5pm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Normally wake up at 4 or so, lie there getting bored, & arise - (posh word eh?) at 4:30.

I'd love to sleep longer, but just can't, even if I go to bed late.

Drink some coffee, then take 'my son' out for his walk.

I  hope he's  tethered ?Ive heard  they can bite!

• Haha 2

I thought I had a problem waking up at 3am and not getting back to sleep until between 4-5am. Mostly terrible thoughts go through my head at that time so worse than dreaming. After a little more sleep up at 6-6.30 to make  breakfast for the wife.

• Sad 1

Never been able to sleep past 4:30 myself.  In bed by 10 pm so 6 hours seems to be enough.  Even on late nights still up at the same time. Head out for my morning run at 5 am, back by 6 am, coffee on, and sit on the balcony watching the sun rise over Bangkok.  GF up at 7 or so, and the day starts.  Also glad its not just me.  Before retirement I was always up at the same time in order to be at work by 5:30 to prepare for the shift.  Maybe my body over 30 plus years of doing that has become conditioned. I try like hell to sleep in a little, just never works.

I sometimes get up at about 2 am, noodle around on the laptop, then go back to sleep at 3.30. I'm up at 5 am on the days I play golf. Hit off at 6 am. At my age, I accept I need less sleep anyway.

About once a week, I take a Codiphen for a good night's sleep. 10 pm to 8 am, usually.

Yeah...I usually wake between 4:45 and 6...never in bed after 6 AM. GF seemingly in a coma until well after 9 or 10 on her day off. My favorite part of the day. Before the heat comes on, water all the plants, kill off as many snails as I can grab off the walls in the garden, hose down the wall to clear the snail poop. Then back inside for tea and breakfast and some post stock market wrap up, read all the news I don't want to hear and by that time...the heat is on once again.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

wow, I am impressed with you guys, I thought I was one of just a few, it certainly sounds like it around here, its so quiet. Birds just started up, so another tropical day starts.  

I am also impressed. Everyone I know thinks I am crazy waking up at 5 am, but it is such a nice time of day.

I always have coffee and breakfast immediately and then I do different things: cleaning, gardening or even a little work on the computer. Before the Covid-19 pandemic I would leave home at 8.30 and go to work. Now I am still working from home every day, so I spend the most of the day on Thai Visa or watching TV.

Up at 4 everyday, coffe in thermos mug then off to farm at 4:30, get feed sorted for cows and pigs, clean out sty and water trough back to house around 7 feed the chickens and let them out, give dogs breakfast wake wife and kids another coffee. Off back to farm to flood paddy fields and some weeding around veg, cut truck load of grass to take back to cows for afternoon time. Going to finish making making a chair today if new planner blade arrives if not well make a couple dozen more mono blocks for the driveway i want instead of solid cement

• Like 1

Wake up about 3ish. Prod the wife to wake her. "Can you get up and make me coffee teelak? I can't sleep." Lay in bed working on maths problems for another 3 hours. Mrs Owl gets up and makes me a coffee or cup of Rosy. Mrs then puts on the tv and falls asleep.

Set the battery charger to put some life into the pick-up. Feed Charkie (cat). Empty the kitchen rubbish bin. Water the plants. Check to see if I've got any reishi left. If I have, I'll have a swig or two. If not, make a mental note to brew some later.

Check to see if I was correct in my math calculations from earlier.

Onto the computer. Check the footy results and look at the UK news. If it's Monday morning I get onto George Galloway's RT show from the night before.

Onto TVForum and read the latest.

Edited by owl sees all

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

I don't make tea or coffee. That's woman's work.

Ah your that kind of guy. I would not bother my gf for something like that if i woke up that early. Just my opinion. I am not one to spread misery around (forcing others to suffer because of my insomnia). When i had it bad i always made sure my partner could sleep on. My motto is why should two suffer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ah your that kind of guy. I would not bother my gf for something like that if i woke up that early. Just my opinion. I am not one to spread misery around (forcing others to suffer because of my insomnia). When i had it bad i always made sure my partner could sleep on. My motto is why should two suffer. 

That's great robblok. Good for you. Excellent motto.

I give the Mrs a prod, but she is not always so keen on getting up, unless she is short of dosh. "Teelak; make me a cup of 3in1 coffee and I'll give you 20 baht."

Only go into the kitchen to sort out the rubbish bin. That's her domain.

Mrs Owl's tea and coffee making skills are legendary in our household.

Edited by owl sees all

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

5 am, and as usual can't sleep past this time.

I find that if you burn off some calories around 11pm before you sleep, i.e. if you have a partner, you can sleep in till 6.30am, but that will change now as the kids go back to school tomorrow, so it will be a 6am rise for all.

Someone once told me to have a warm glass of milk with honey before I go to bed, as that would give me a good night's sleep, I have a glass of Vodka, soda, lime, that seems to get me where I want to go and I only wake up once to empty my bladder, beer on the other hand might be 2-3 times a night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That's great robblok. Good for you.

I give the Mrs a prod, but she is not always so keen on getting up, unless she is short of dosh. "Teelak; make me a cup of 3in1 coffee and I'll give you 20 baht."

Only go into the kitchen to sort out the rubbish bin. That's her domain.

Mrs Owl's tea and coffee making skills are legendary in our household.

You and I are just different I hate to bother people with my problems. I am the one with insomnia and I would hate it for my partner to suffer because of my problems. 

making 3in1 coffee is just pouring water with a satchel.. i mean does not get much easier then that.

Whatever works for you just not my choice of things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I sleep better and longer with a few beers.

Don't shoot the messenger here, but the 'world authority' on sleep explains that after alcohol you might sleep better, but it is not a real 'deep sleep', because your brain is essentially numbed and doesn't reach the stages associated with deep sleep. That's why some people don't dream after a few beers. I'm not completely sold on this theory, just thought I would let you know what the scientific view is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmerkev said:

Up at 4 everyday, coffe in thermos mug then off to farm at 4:30, get feed sorted for cows and pigs, clean out sty and water trough back to house around 7 feed the chickens and let them out, give dogs breakfast wake wife and kids another coffee. Off back to farm to flood paddy fields and some weeding around veg, cut truck load of grass to take back to cows for afternoon time. Going to finish making making a chair today if new planner blade arrives if not well make a couple dozen more mono blocks for the driveway i want instead of solid cement

Sounds like you need a work permit...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

I thought I had a problem waking up at 3am and not getting back to sleep until between 4-5am. Mostly terrible thoughts go through my head at that time so worse than dreaming. After a little more sleep up at 6-6.30 to make  breakfast for the wife.

I understand that. it's amazing how problems are so much darker in the wee hours if one cant get to sleep.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Yeah, I'm awake at 5am after 7 hours sleep, only interrupted by nocturnal pee-pee once or twice. I swig a glass of water and take the dogs out for a brisk 40 minute walk around the moo baan when the sun is rising to get my daily Vit D3 intake.

After a final home exercising routine, I drink green tea fortified with iodised salt, cinnamon, ginger, apple cider vinegar, and a teaspoon of honey or molasses, which earns me a gold star in beneficial nutrition intake - so I understand. As for coffee - caffeine prohibited.

Then hit my computer to catch up on events, and to select my forex trades for the day...

Good morning folks - stay safe. 

Are you aware that even green tea has caffeine?

• Like 1

Awake at 3am up before 4am, out for a walk about 5am or earlier in local park ( I live outside a small country town and there is a grassed / trees / water exercise park nearby ).
I eat only twice a day, breakfast and lunch so hungry after my morning walk.
If I am still standing ( no I don't drink ) out again between 5pm - 6.30pm.
Try to do this all seasons hear the bats in the morning sometimes see them at dusk, birds flying to their roost.    As for the sunrises and sunsets .... !

retirement age.  Covid allows me to do whatever.  Sleep around 12:30 a.m., wake up at 9.  I exercise vigorously about five times a week, massage one day.  no beer..... last night i finished exercising around 7 p.m. 

of course, i was forced for years and years to wake up at 5 or 6..........but i'm not a morning person unless i'm going to a race or traveling or something exciting.  work isn't that exciting. 

but if i don't fight it, i can easily sleep until 8 and usually 9. 

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Same here. If iam out the door by 5.45 Iam at work by 6.45, If I leave home at 6.15 Iam lucky to make the 8.00 start time.

Nice hot coffee and answer some work email in the peace and quiet suits me just fine..... plus the early start allows me to sneak early on Friday to beat the traffic and get home whilst it is still daylight !!

That sounds horrendous. One of the main reasons I left UK was because of commuting. 3 hours a day, equates to almost 15% of total monthly waking hours. Even when I worked in Asoke I stayed at Thong Lor and then Huay Kwang so to be less than 10 minutes on BTS or MRT...

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Just curious why wake the wife up.. and not let her just sleep. Is making coffee that hard ?

i usually can't understand why guys here are so soft on their wives .   But, gotta go with robblok

on this one.     wake her up to make coffee?     jeeeeeeeeeeez

most of the old farts here seem pretty sensible ( on this matter ! ) .    We get up early, do our thing and

let the mrs.  have her beauty sleep.   After she gets up though..... then i expect good service !  lol

I usually wake around 5, give the wife a nudge around 5.30 come on woman get up make my coffee.

She gets up, lets the dogs off, makes me toast and coffee, brings it to me, then comes back 10 minutes later see if i want more, isnt life perfect?????

13 minutes ago, rumak said:

i usually can't understand why guys here are so soft on their wives .   But, gotta go with robblok

on this one.     wake her up to make coffee?     jeeeeeeeeeeez

most of the old farts here seem pretty sensible ( on this matter ! ) .    We get up early, do our thing and

let the mrs.  have her beauty sleep.   After she gets up though..... then i expect good service !  lol

I have had insomnia for many years, it annoyed the <deleted> out of me. For some reason earlier this year it stopped. (wish I knew why). I am almost free of sleeping aids, only use them on rare occasions.

I would not wish it on anyone, not sure why i would have to spread my misery and wake up my partner to make me coffee or do anything else for me. Insomnia can ruin a life.. it really sucks.

I usually have a partner that works too so work is shared.. So i actually have no expectations. There was a time I had a partner who was free and did not work. Then I expect a bit more but I did not expect her to wake up with me. As long as the house was clean and food was made / bought i was ok.