Pandemic 'is not even close to being over', WHO chief says

webfact

2 hours ago, Sunderland said:

I hope you realize that seasonal flu probably makes up only about 3-5% of the deaths that you mention. Influenza typically kills about 1,000 - 3,000 people per year in the whole of Brazil.

According to the latest WHO data published in 2018 Influenza and Pneumonia Deaths in Brazil reached 92,498 or 8.39% of total deaths. The age adjusted Death Rate is 42.68 per 100,000 of population ranks Brazil #76 in the world. 

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/brazil-influenza-pneumonia

7 hours ago, hlj said:

The WHO director has his nose so far up Chinas a-- that they could not see what was happening. China has even giving the director of WHO's country large sums of money and building a research center for them. IF you are interested in watching news watch NTD News and Josh Phillips daily they both have the latest. There are more reports which are very reliable out there. China is also taking away from the virus by has started a conflict with India. They are calming every island in the South China Sea and building army bases on them. China even is trying to claim islands off the Philippines, which now the Philippine Government has started to rebuild old bases on them used by the USA back in the 70's for the USA and Philippines Armies and Air Forces.   

What's the point of talking if you couldn't do anything at all about the situation? When western countries took over African countries or Asian countries as colonies and did what they liked did anyone do anything? Or were they able to do anything ?

So now the western countries should be able to feel what it was like during the colonial days when weak African countries and Asian countries were being taken over. China hasn't even really started yet you know.

You wait later when they become even more powerful they will station soldiers in quarters to keep peace they will say, just like what the British said when they occupied Malaya, Hong Kong and Singapore, they wanted to keep peace. So China today wants to keep peace too. Is it strange?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

WHO is right, just ignore the usual sceptics. Just like at the figures below for new cases today

USA 17000+

Brazil 13000+

Russia 6600+

India 14000+

Saudi Arab 4400

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Now if your scared already, you might want to come to

Thailand +2

China +19

Ireland +11

New Zealand 0

Finland +5

Malaysia +2

Hong Kong +2

Cambodia 0

Vietnam 0

Japan 0

Some countries are not through yet, see above, but others are, obviously.

And please note, these numbers are infections, not deaths.

3 hours ago, poloshirt said:

What's the point of talking if you couldn't do anything at all about the situation? When western countries took over African countries or Asian countries as colonies and did what they liked did anyone do anything? Or were they able to do anything ?

So now the western countries should be able to feel what it was like during the colonial days when weak African countries and Asian countries were being taken over. China hasn't even really started yet you know.

You wait later when they become even more powerful they will station soldiers in quarters to keep peace they will say, just like what the British said when they occupied Malaya, Hong Kong and Singapore, they wanted to keep peace. So China today wants to keep peace too. Is it strange?

You are right, it is scary what the CCP is preparing. But who says we couldn’t do anything?

Learn from the past and fight for the future!

Well living in Canada, and being way to close to the USA, I would say that the covid 19

is winning in North America. Still lots of virus in Quebec and Ontario.If you want to see lots of virus just go to the USA and tell them all that the Covid is like a regular flu.  Good luck

after that.

Geezerw

13 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

According to the latest WHO data published in 2018 Influenza and Pneumonia Deaths in Brazil reached 92,498 or 8.39% of total deaths. The age adjusted Death Rate is 42.68 per 100,000 of population ranks Brazil #76 in the world. 

Better look at this Krataiboy, if you did not read it earlier.  The biggest age group now coming down with Covid is in the under 40's age range and on top of that the scientists are seeing some new things with Covid.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-06-26/inside-the-body-the-coronavirus-is-even-more-sinister-than-scientists-had-realized

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

A couple of facts you might wish to consider: 1 India's COVID death rate is one of the lowest in the world, at one per 100,000. 2 In Brazil, COVID fatalities so far are little more than half those for seasonal flu/pneumonia.

I didn't say COVID 19 was "just a bad cold".  I accept pandemic maven Dr Anthony Fauci's description that it's more akin to a severe flu pandemic.

These occur fairly regularly, and the outbreak in 1968 claimed 88,000 lives in my own homeland, without the government of the day feeling the need to lock anybody in their homes, trample our civil rights or trash the economy.

Moral of the story: Don't believe anything of significance you are told by the mass media or politicians, without first checking it out for yourself.

Mercifully, COVID 19 is relatively benign with regard to the the healthy young. So the emphasis from day one should have been on protecting our elderly - instead of which they have been routinely sacrificed on an enormous and unforgivable scale

https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-has-one-covid-19-death-per-100-000-people-global-avg-at-6-04-govt-120062301359_1.html

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/influenza-pneumonia/by-country/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

What I saw on live TV in Brazil and India was horrifying. Too many governments downplaying the pandemic for economic reasons, it all comes down to deaths vs $. And as far as the US is concerned, 40% of young adults are considered obese, which unfortunately is a comorbidity of covid. The rate of serious illness in young people is rising in states like Florida - benign? hardly.. 

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Better look at this Krataiboy, if you did not read it earlier.  The biggest age group now coming down with Covid is in the under 40's age range and on top of that the scientists are seeing some new things with Covid.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-06-26/inside-the-body-the-coronavirus-is-even-more-sinister-than-scientists-had-realized

Blimey! Scared the living daylights out of me. . . .truly creepy

Columbia University microbiologist Stephen P. Goff urged caution in assuming that filopodia are necessarily behaving as a second mode of infecting cells with virus.

“It’s intriguing and a really cool observation,” Goff said. The study’s striking images show that the filopodia contain a lot of virus and that in the lab, inhibiting their growth seemed to reduce viral replication. This strongly suggests that filopodia are somehow amping up the virus’ ability to infect cells, he acknowledged.

“But we don’t yet know what stage [of infection] is affected” by the strange protrusions, he said. “It will be great fun to find out.”

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Blimey! Scared the living daylights out of me. . . .truly creepy

Columbia University microbiologist Stephen P. Goff urged caution in assuming that filopodia are necessarily behaving as a second mode of infecting cells with virus.

“It’s intriguing and a really cool observation,” Goff said. The study’s striking images show that the filopodia contain a lot of virus and that in the lab, inhibiting their growth seemed to reduce viral replication. This strongly suggests that filopodia are somehow amping up the virus’ ability to infect cells, he acknowledged.

“But we don’t yet know what stage [of infection] is affected” by the strange protrusions, he said. “It will be great fun to find out.”

What the poster that brought this up failed to include, is that there are drugs for this super monster.

"Their research was published last week in the journal Cell.

The scientists also believe they have identified several drugs that could disrupt the viral takeover of cells and slow the process by which covid-19 takes hold. These compounds, many of which were designed as cancer treatments, seem likely to work because they block the chemical signals that activate filopodia production in the first place."

https://triblive.com/news/health-now/inside-the-body-coronavirus-is-even-more-sinister-than-scientists-had-realized/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow! Scary stuff. But let's wait until we get the peer-reviewed version in a respectable journal before jumping off the nearest skyscraper.

I wasn't aware that the virus had switched its attention from us golden oldies to the under-40s. Got a link?

(Apologies for my two separate bits at this cherry. I thought my first posting had disappeared into the ether. . . a bit like COVID in Thailand?!!)

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Wow! Scary stuff. But let's wait until we get the peer-reviewed version in a respectable journal before jumping off the nearest skyscraper.

I wasn't aware that the virus had switched its attention from us golden oldies to the under-40s. Got a link?

(Apologies for my two separate bits at this cherry. I thought my first posting had disappeared into the ether. . . a bit like COVID in Thailand?!!)

Sorry thought I put the NY Times news link in as well. My mistake, here it is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/coronavirus-cases-young-people.amp.html

27 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I didn't see any numbers as far as obesity, insulin resistance, underlying conditions, immune compromised and other known issues vs healthy people in this article.  Did I miss it, or did they not care to include this info.  The majority of US citizens in this age group are obese, either already pre diabetic, or currently diabetic and insulin resistant.

Studies show that if you fit the above categories and thus have a compromised immune system, then you are at risk.

Please show me the study that shows the majority in this age group (20 to 40) are obese, either already pre diabetic, or currently diabetic and insulin resistant, as I will read it with interest.  Your starting to now lump everyone into those categories.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry thought I put the NY Times news link in as well. My mistake, here it is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/coronavirus-cases-young-people.amp.html

Thanks for the link. No cause for alarm, I think. As the report points out, because a lot of old people who realise they are the highest-risk group, the virus is migrating to younger folk as they start to mix again. This is a helpful step towards herd immunity so long as numbers can be controlled to avoid strain on hospital facilities.

The other good news for these youthful Americans, and anyone else under pensionable age and in reasonable health, is that the chances of becoming serious ill, let alone dying, from COVID 19 is extremely small. But they should be aware of the danger of spreading the infection to older relatives and friends.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Thanks 2

On 6/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, Stadtler said:

Scientists or doctors?  Tedros makes statements according to what his Chinese masters tell him.

Tedros is a puppet.

Tedros is NOT a doctor of medicine.

Stadtler is not a puppet.

Stadtler is a doctor of medicine.

Stadtler thinks Tedros is full of rubbish.

:sorry: but Tedros is lacking credibility.

Stadtler is a doctor in  what  field of  medicine?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Thanks for the link. No cause for alarm, I think. As the report points out, because a lot of old people who realise they are the highest-risk group, the virus is migrating to younger folk as they start to mix again. This is a helpful step towards herd immunity so long as numbers can be controlled to avoid strain on hospital facilities.

The other good news for these youthful Americans, and anyone else under pensionable age and in reasonable health, is that the chances of becoming serious ill, let alone dying, from COVID 19 is extremely small. But they should be aware of the danger of spreading the infection to older relatives and friends.

Agree with most of that aside from the herd immunity steps, a very long way to go on that and whether it will actually be achieved is highly unlikely unless there is a huge amount of further infections, unfortunately. 

"Health officials in South Korea have concluded that the idea of a community forming herd immunity from Covid-19 is "wishful thinking".

The Deputy Director of the Korean Centre for Disease Control (KCDC), Kwon Jun-wook, said the organisation had come to that conclusion after analysing both domestic and international data.

South Korea has started antibody tests in random samples of the population to find out the true infection rate within the country. The serology tests will examine the blood of around 6,000 people to find out who has immunity to the virus. These tests will be conducted every two months and will be completed by the end of the year.

So far, in random blood tests of over 1,500 people, officials found that 0.1% of the samples had anti-bodies for Covid-19."

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53230389/page/4

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, Krataiboy said:

A couple of facts you might wish to consider: 1 India's COVID death rate is one of the lowest in the world, at one per 100,000.

As has been reported in numerous articles on the matter, it's almost certainly the case that the numbers of deaths due to CoVid-19 are being way under-reported in India, simply because of the comprehensive under-reporting of all causes of death in India.

According to a BBC article about why India's numbers are so low:

Around 80% of deaths in India still happen at home ... "A lot of people get some medical attention over time, return and die at home in India," says Dr Jha.
[...]
Also, according to the government's own admission, only 22% of deaths in India are medically certified.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52435463?prompt

Assuming the figures for CoVid-19 are subject to the same lack of medical  certification as all other deaths in India (and I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't be) then the number of CoVid-19 deaths there is bound to be way, way higher than the official figures.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree with most of that aside from the herd immunity steps, a very long way to go on that and whether it will actually be achieved is highly unlikely unless there is a huge amount of further infections, unfortunately. 

"Health officials in South Korea have concluded that the idea of a community forming herd immunity from Covid-19 is "wishful thinking".

The Deputy Director of the Korean Centre for Disease Control (KCDC), Kwon Jun-wook, said the organisation had come to that conclusion after analysing both domestic and international data.

South Korea has started antibody tests in random samples of the population to find out the true infection rate within the country. The serology tests will examine the blood of around 6,000 people to find out who has immunity to the virus. These tests will be conducted every two months and will be completed by the end of the year.

So far, in random blood tests of over 1,500 people, officials found that 0.1% of the samples had anti-bodies for Covid-19."

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53230389/page/4

In describing the increased number of infections among younger Americans as a "helpful step" towards herd immunity, I deliberately did not speculate on how quickly this might be achieved. The reason for my caution was simple: nobody knows.

Experts are divided even on the core question of what percentage of a given population would need to become infected with Sars-COV-2- with some setting the figure at around two thirds and others as high as 90 percent.

The tendency of this  virus constantly to mutate is another obvious obstacle to attaining this goal - just as it is to the development of an effective COVID vaccine. We have learned the hard way that seasonal flu shots can lose their efficacy over time.

It seems likely, therefore, that the virus responsible for the current pandemic will to be around, in one form or another, for years and best contained with a combination of partial herd immunity and a safe, properly-tested vaccine

16 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

As has been reported in numerous articles on the matter, it's almost certainly the case that the numbers of deaths due to CoVid-19 are being way under-reported in India, simply because of the comprehensive under-reporting of all causes of death in India.

According to a BBC article about why India's numbers are so low:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52435463?prompt

Assuming the figures for CoVid-19 are subject to the same lack of medical  certification as all other deaths in India (and I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't be) then the number of CoVid-19 deaths there is bound to be way, way higher than the official figures.

Nothing would surprise me when playing this numbers game. The entire COVID debate is bedevilled by the lack of reliable data on infections and deaths, resulting from unreliable tests and widely diverging criteria for determining whether an infected individual died OF the virus or simply with it.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Please show me the study that shows the majority in this age group (20 to 40) are obese, either already pre diabetic, or currently diabetic and insulin resistant, as I will read it with interest.  Your starting to now lump everyone into those categories.

Thing is, all studies show that the major issues are the people that fall into this category.  Please show me the studies that say healthy people in this age group are the ones seeing the issues from covid.

Edited by steelepulse
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

I feel thoroughly inferior, Stadler.  

Never feel inferior.  Stadtler is very old and he has had many interesting careers.

• Thanks 1