Follow Up Report For Bank Balance Still Required?

patsfangr

Hopefully, UdonJoe can jump in on this one. Are we still required to show up at Pattaya Immigration with our bank passbook 2 months after we get a visa extension stamp to prove that our TB800k balance has remained throughout that period? I have no physical evidence of that requirement in my passport, or in my bank passbook. I was just told to do so when I picked up my passport after extension. ... Also, if so, is there an online official reference for this requirement?

Edited by patsfangr
Added question.

The requirement is 2 months prior to 3 months after extension of stay application at 800k or more and all year at 400k or more and have seen report of person going below 800k 2 weeks early and losing extension so be careful.  Sorry can not answer on Pattaya requirements to show at present.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I don't think it's an "official" (i.e. legal) requirement but the various offices seem to be allowed to make up rules themselves.

Also, I don't think UbonJoe haunts the Pattaya forum. Such questions have a better chance of catching his eye in the Visas forum. As well, he'll probably tell you the same thing (different offices, different rules) as he won't have the precise details of what each different Immigration Office in the country expects.

I'd suspect that one of the reasons why you submit your application (for an Extension) one day and have to come back the next day to collect your passport, is that they use the time in between to check things like if you turned in your paperwork or not.

Because realistically, when you submit your paperwork and the young lad/lady at desk 8 checks it, it's done. They've verified you've submitted all the papers, photocopies and photos and that everything is in order so really all that is needed at that point is the stamp and IO's signature. Shouldn't take a day for them to do unless someone else is checking something else "in the back office".

And when it comes to things like your yearly extension, I wouldn't mess around. You know they can be a stickler for details (like denying an Extension because 1 or 2 monthly transfers were less than 100 baht under 65k due to the exchange rate changing continuously). (I told my buddy he should have been sending more than the absolute minimum amount for exactly that reason and he decided, for whatever reason, that he didn't need to. He told me that of the 12 transfers, 2 were under the limit, one by as little as 20 baht, and his Extension was denied.)
And that was at Jomtien too.

If it was me, I'd make sure I updated my bankbook, made my photocopies and went there on the 90 day mark and tell them that you don't have the "appointment" slip. It's just a printed piece of paper showing the part of the regulations about how long the money has to be in the account and a checklist of the paperwork that needs to be submitted with it as well as the IO (or whatever that young guy is) initials and the date it's due on it.
They can easily just hand you a new copy, date and initial it on the spot then staple the rest of your paperwork to it.

Or you can ignore it and hope that they don't deny your next extension. The requirement to prove your balance seems redundant because they can simply check your bank balance when you apply for your next extension and then deny it if they see you took the money out too soon.
(Unless the idea is that they may cancel your current extension if you take the money out before the appropriate date. Haven't heard of them doing that to anyone though. Yet.)

I made sure I have my 90 Day Report synch'd with the 90 Day "bank book" due date so that I can do both on the same day.

(Unless the idea is that they may cancel your current extension if you take the money out before the appropriate date. Haven't heard of them doing that to anyone though. Yet.)

a case was posted recently of some one in such  ,.... more even could be considered as an overstay from date of the to low bank figure and so not follow directions of the ret. ext.…(probably depending the mood of I.O. who's eye catches it ! )

19 minutes ago, david555 said:

a case was posted recently of some one in such  ,.... more even could be considered as an overstay from date of the to low bank figure and so not follow directions of the ret. ext.…(probably depending the mood of I.O. who's eye catches it ! )

Indeed it could be a safety check to make sure you do lose extension and become overstay (which could be very serious if found out more than 90 days late).  There are a lot of unknowns at present but one take is if 800k not held those 3 months extension is invalid and on overstay and that if goes below 400k next extension application will not be allowed but perhaps no overstay.  But we are a bit blind as there does not appear to be a firm policy published.

• Like 1

I just finished doing this. In my case, I was not given an "appointment slip". The IO told me to come back on June 30. He said "OK to be later; but not before". Well, my extension date was April 11. By my count, June 30 is 11 less than 3 months. But that's what he told me; and that's what I did. The girl at Counter 8 did a quick "finger count", and I go nervous. But she took the copies of the passport and bank book, smiled, said "OK", and handed back my originals. Hopefully, I won't have some hard a$$ give me trouble on my next extension date. But, since I plan to just let the full 800K+ sit there all year, I think I'll be OK. 

Thanks to all for the replies! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed it could be a safety check to make sure you do lose extension and become overstay (which could be very serious if found out more than 90 days late).  There are a lot of unknowns at present but one take is if 800k not held those 3 months extension is invalid and on overstay and that if goes below 400k next extension application will not be allowed but perhaps no overstay.  But we are a bit blind as there does not appear to be a firm policy published.

Even when planning to end ret.ext  example , and leave Thailand going back living home country, and taking the money out , you would be only 100% safe  up to just day's before the 2 months seasoning period starts again  , if under the 800K.... total grey zone now , no clear situation , even for immigration as not very frequent happening ...

Even curious , what if surprise checking's would be done in any period …?

50 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Yes, three months after the extension, but because of the queues at Soi 5 back in March I did it a month late and there were no problems.

As your bank book is the ultimate proof ….

I asked them before : "what if travelling" …. "no problem" they say "you come when back" ….,( as if even they can check your arrival stamp in passport to see if is honest excuse )

Afaik this 800K bank-balance check (when you used the money-in-bank method to prove you meet the financial requirements) three months after your 1-year Non Imm O or O-A extension of stay for reason of retirement has been approved, is only required at 4 rogue IOs (Jomtien, SriRacha, UdonThani and PathumThani). 

Hopefully this practice will not spread to other IOs nation-wide as it requires a visit to IO and is a real nuisance for retirees living far from their IO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Afaik this 800K bank-balance check (when you used the money-in-bank method to prove you meet the financial requirements) three months after your 1-year Non Imm O or O-A extension of stay for reason of retirement has been approved, is only required at 4 rogue IOs (Jomtien, SriRacha, UdonThani and PathumThani). 

Hopefully this practice will not spread to other IOs nation-wide as it requires a visit to IO and is a real nuisance for retirees living far from their IO.

It is a nuisance for sure. Last year I didn't have my 90 day report synch'd with my Extension renewal. As a result, I did a 90 day, a month later it was 2 trips to do the extenion/re-entry permit, 2 months later another 90 day, a month after than back again for the bank book check. 5 trips to Immigration in 4 months. (I don't live far away, about 11 kms, but still a bit of a PITA.)

This year I had my 90 synch'd. 2 trips to do the extension/re-entry/90 day and then 3 months later I'll do the next 90 day and the bank book check on the same day.
Slightly better.

Sure hope Jomtien doesn't start expecting us to provide hand drawn maps or photos of us standing in front of our homes, like some "rogue" Immigration offices do in other places.

Jomtien was also pretty "roguish"  when they decided (many years ago) that if you had "yearly visa" and went away somewhere (even out of the country) and returned to the same address, you didn't need to submit a TM.30, unlike many (most) other offices around the country.

Still surprises me how it seems that literally every Immigration Office can set different rules and requirements, or ignore them, at their leisure. Especially as they are a gov't (Police) agency. Where one would expect that the Boss at the top would send out instructions (rules, regulations, amendments, etc) and all the subordinate Regions and Offices would follow them.
By rights, anything required (or not required) at one Immigration office should be exactly the same at every other office. It's not like the rules/regulations/orders are sent out by carrier pigeon or "elephant express"  these days and different offices may or may not receive them.

Just another of the things one has to live with if they want to keep living here. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 10:05 AM, Henryford said:

I got my extension at Pattaya last week. Yes still have to show 800k for the next 3 months. I got an invitation to go back the end of September.

That's a Local Immigration Requirement . Down in Hat Yai they just Tell you to keep the required 800K in the bank don't have to go back and Show. Maybe because Mine is in a Fixed Deposed account.

25 minutes ago, digger70 said:

That's a Local Immigration Requirement . Down in Hat Yai they just Tell you to keep the required 800K in the bank don't have to go back and Show. Maybe because Mine is in a Fixed Deposed account.

No, it's simply because HatYai is a 'normal' IO and not a rogue office like Jomtien, SriRacha, UdonThani or PhatumThani where they impose that 800K bank-balance check 3 months after your 1-year extension of stay is approved.

• Like 1

Did my extension this morning and I am back end of Sept with my bank book. Lady took a photo of me today, never had that happen before. I don't know if it was for official use or personal. Probably the latter. ???? Hope she has sweet dreams.

17 minutes ago, grego49 said:

This was put in a mates passport at kanchanaburi a couple of weeks ago,

Thanks for sharing.

I will add Kanchanaburi as #5 to the list of rogue offices that require this 800K bank-balance check.

As mentioned before > I do hope this practice doesn't spread to other IOs nation-wide, as that bank-balance check requires a visit to the IO which - if you live far away from the IO - is rather inconvenient.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, champers said:

Did my extension this morning and I am back end of Sept with my bank book. Lady took a photo of me today, never had that happen before. I don't know if it was for official use or personal. Probably the latter. ???? Hope she has sweet dreams.

At Jomtien ?
It used to be that they took your photo when you came back to pick up your passport.
It seems to have changed in the last year though (or maybe since the covid crisis started).

When I did my Extension in late May that they took my photo when I submitted the paperwork and they took a photo of the paperwork too so they could match the two together.
Maybe it's a new rule to verify that the person dropping off the application is actually the person the application is for ? 

(As the young lad made sure the "ticket number" and my passport photo were visible when he took the pic of the paperwork, then took my photo which, surprisingly, didn't break his camera phone !)

On 6/30/2020 at 9:08 AM, lopburi3 said:

The requirement is 2 months prior to 3 months after extension of stay application at 800k or more and all year at 400k or more and have seen report of person going below 800k 2 weeks early and losing extension so be careful.  Sorry can not answer on Pattaya requirements to show at present.  

Can you give me the link to the report of that person going below 800k?

What do you mean by 2 weeks early?

On 6/30/2020 at 9:08 AM, lopburi3 said:

If you got the paper with the date to return to Jomtien Immigration after 90 days to show the 800k in the bank,you don't show the bank book. You need 2 copies from the passport, the photo page and the last extension, plus 2 copies from the 'updated' bank book, the first page with the name, and the last page.

Sign the 4 copies at the bottom in blue ink.  That's all you need. Then go straight to desk 8 and hand over the papers. Done! No ticket needed. You're out in 30 seconds. 

30 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The new requirements are from March 1 2019. They clearly states you have to keep 800k in the bank  90 days after the application,then never go below 400k the next 7 months,then top it up to 800k again 2 months prior to the next 1 year extension. This is not negotiable. If going below 800k after 90 days or 400k during 7 months later you have violated the immigration law. How hard is that to understand? 

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you got the paper with the date to return to Jomtien Immigration after 90 days to show the 800k in the bank,you don't show the bank book. You need 2 copies from the passport, the photo page and the last extension, plus 2 copies from the 'updated' bank book, the first page with the name, and the last page.

Sign the 4 copies at the bottom in blue ink.  That's all you need. Then go straight to desk 8 and hand over the papers. Done! No ticket needed. You're out in 30 seconds. 

You seem to enjoy this bank-balance check at Jomtien.  A chance to meet again with your immigration friends. ????

Luckily my IO (and most other normal IOs in Thailand) have not taken over this additional red-tape requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Am not going through forum looking but it was within last week or so.  Money must be in account for 3 months at not less than 800k per Police Order 548/2562 dated September 27, 2019.  Person had gone to do 90 day report 2 weeks before that time and believe he was free to reduce money after doing 90 day report (forgetting he was early).  

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Am not going through forum looking but it was within last week or so.  Money must be in account for 3 months at not less than 800k per Police Order 548/2562 dated September 27, 2019.  Person had gone to do 90 day report 2 weeks before that time and believe he was free to reduce money after doing 90 day report (forgetting he was early).  

Got your back lopburi3 ! It was on 23 June in fact. (Down to the top of page 4 in that forum now.)

Went to Bangkok immigration yesterday to change from retirement extension to marriage extension (non imm o ) was refused because i made a mistake by using some of 800000 baht 2 weeks before the 3 month in account after getting retirement extension.

I asked about getting a 60 day extention but they said i didn't have a valid visa as i didn't keep money in the bank for the required time.i did my first 90 day report 2 weeks early took bank book but was not asked for it so i thought i was ok to use money forgetting i went 2 weeks early my mistake.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169685-visa-extension-refused/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Got your back lopburi3 ! It was on 23 June in fact. (Down to the top of page 4 in that forum now.)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169685-visa-extension-refused/

Thanks for the link but I am a bit skeptical because the informer is a new member with only TWO posts. Is he that credible?

Would immigration blacklist anyone just for that? 

Maybe other immigration centers are more lenient.

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The new requirements are from March 1 2019. They clearly states you have to keep 800k in the bank  90 days after the application,then never go below 400k the next 7 months,then top it up to 800k again 2 months prior to the next 1 year extension. This is not negotiable. If going below 800k after 90 days or 400k during 7 months later you have violated the immigration law. How hard is that to understand? 

I do understand but not everything must be followed to the book. Maybe other immigration centers are more lenient.

To blacklist someone just for two weeks early is just exaggeration. How credible is this story?

Edited by EricTh

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thanks for the link but I am a bit skeptical because the informer is a new member with only TWO posts. Is he that credible?

We do not know the details but as recall he was not blacklisted - but an overstay longer than 90 days could result in being blacklisted for entry for specific period under current rules and if extension of stay was deemed to have ended on day account went below 800k that could have been a factor as it was likely well over 90 days before application for new extension of stay.

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Yeah, I'd say he wasn't really aware of what was being said. No way he'd get blacklisted unless they were talking about him being on overstay because his extension was cancelled.
And he only made the 2 posts in that thread (which ended up running 5 pages).

It could get quite confusing if an IO is explaining something to you and then starts talking in rapid fire to the wife and then two words to you and more to/from the wife and you're sitting there wondering W.T.Freddie is going on while only catching 2-3 words out of a 5 minute conversation.

And in all fairness, he did admit that he screwed up by "assuming" he could take the money out early. He didn't try to blame it on anyone else.

• Like 2