What Car?

Looking to buy a car, but which one?  Budget 800,000 cash.

Had vios, city  almera and yaris suggested,

Almera and yaris on paper would seem under-powered.

Not much to choose between vios or city except many service points for vios.

I know zilch about cars so any recommendation within my budget would be appreciated

Thank you

12 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Hilux Vigo or Revo ????

He's asking about sedans, not trucks.

The OP could also spend considerably less buying a low mileage secondhand vehicle.

As he says, Vios and City seem the best on paper. Vios would get my vote because every mechanic in Thailand knows them.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

At least you have gone for reliability cars, my friend has a Vios, not very exciting but it does the job admirably, 5 years old with no hiccups.

I personally like Honda stuff, I have the use of a 2009 1.8 Civic, never a problem, only had new shocks all round, also a manual Honda Jazz, that I think is 13 years old, never a problem except the clutch slave or master cylinder has just failed. Impressive stuff.

If I had your budget I would go for a Suzuki Swift GLX and save a few quid...

• Like 2

Best looking car is the new Mini Cooper SD in racing green colour - but it's out of your price range, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd stick to Honda every day - the Honda Jazz RS is within your price range (750+), and a superb looker and performer.

However, in the modern world hybrid cars will eventually become the norm - they're becoming more sophisticated every year with automatic charging on some models like the Lexus.  With a cash balance of 800k, I would be tempted to hold fire, buy second hand, or look to buy a main dealer's promotion car - if available. 

Edited by stephenterry
addition

12 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

hands free phone.. sound system.. reversing camera (love it).. door handle trim..fog lights.

Are these not standard on most cars these days.............well don't know about the door handle trim!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

As I've mentioned in other car posts.. We got a City.. a bit roomier than the other small cars..  Honda dealerships everywhere.  The local dealership has treated us really well.  When I went to look at the others they didn't really care if we were there or not.. so went with Honda. With your 800K  you can get all the bells and whistles..  We got the V+ model.. hands free phone.. sound system.. reversing camera (love it).. door handle trim..fog lights..(which we will probably never use).... but not the spoiler and all that other trim.. Very nice to drive lots of power when you want it.. Have a sit in one and see how you like it.. 

We have the city also, but I must say the fuel economy is woeful.... It's not a big engine but it sure loves the gas. We had a CRV before it and it was also very thirsty.... My Mazda 6 back home is much bigger all round and uses so much less... 

Having said that the City goes well with a full load up to the village when required, easily sticking to the speed limit and more.... Has been very reliable to date. 

12 minutes ago, GuyFawkes said:

Thank you all for your replies.  I forgot to include the MG at 799,000 but I am not sure about reliability or servicing availability.

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

My Wife would one of the new MGs but like you I am not sure about the reliability just yet... They are relatively new to the market both here and Australia, I am not ready to commit yet. 

I for one love Hyundai, but have no idea why they are not readily available here, they are a big seller back home and come with good warranty and servicing. 

As for the secondhand market here, they are very high priced and for not a lot more you could get a new model.... Maybe hang on for a while, if this virus takes hold in a second wave then I am sure there will be many bargains to be had. 

8 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

We have the city also, but I must say the fuel economy is woeful.... It's not a big engine but it sure loves the gas. We had a CRV before it and it was also very thirsty.... My Mazda 6 back home is much bigger all round and uses so much less... 

Having said that the City goes well with a full load up to the village when required, easily sticking to the speed limit and more.... Has been very reliable to date. 

My Wife would one of the new MGs but like you I am not sure about the reliability just yet... They are relatively new to the market both here and Australia, I am not ready to commit yet. 

I for one love Hyundai, but have no idea why they are not readily available here, they are a big seller back home and come with good warranty and servicing. 

As for the secondhand market here, they are very high priced and for not a lot more you could get a new model.... Maybe hang on for a while, if this virus takes hold in a second wave then I am sure there will be many bargains to be had. 

I haven't checked the fuel economy closely but doesn't seem to use that much.... considering I have the air con up high most of the time... we normally only do short drives ...shopping..  I put in 500 Bt ever couple of weeks or so ..so haven't worried about the fuel economy.  I read somewhere that the new 2020 model has a more fuel efficient engine.. worth checking..  

My wife liked the MG  .. but like you I wasn't convinced that the build would be as good as the Honda... 

Thinking of the virus and good deals I think there would be new 2019 models that hadn't sold yet.. should be a good discount on them... maybe.. 

14 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

Korean makes are not manufactured in Thailand, so they get the 100% duty. The Koreans know their brands sell well elsewhere, so they don't bother with the Thai market. Go to Laos, there's plenty of Korean cars there.

To address your second point, I bought a secondhand Mazda 2 with 11,000 km on the odometer for 440,000 baht. That particular version has a RRP of 600,000 baht. Maybe 160,000 baht is not a lot to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GuyFawkes said:

Thank you all for your replies.  I forgot to include the MG at 799,000 but I am not sure about reliability or servicing availability.

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

Where's the MG made? Certainly not at Morris Garages in England!    PML

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

Chinese car maker...... skeptical

2 hours ago, GuyFawkes said:

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

NEW MG ZS

1.5L X

My friend has a new-ish Chinese MG ZS, power steering failed, tow truck job...????

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What about the Xpander ?? goes at around 800k and looks good IMO.

See a new Sport version out, Xpander  Cross, for around 899k, looks great .

Mitsubishi make good cars. They just don't market them very well.

• Like 1