Public holiday dates confusion

1948wjm

Near impossible :>)

What is sure:

Monday, July 6

Tuesday, July 7

Tuesday, July 28

(7 has been added just recently/short notice)

Uncertain for me:

there were reports that the three cancelled Songkran holidays would be replaced by three single holidays in July.

Anyone knows for sure?

My speculation: all three remaining weekends being long?

Mon 13, Mon 20, Mon 27 (with Tue 28 making it extra long)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Recently, it was declared that the &th of July would be a holiday for the private sector, as well as for the public sector.

With regard to any supposed "substitute Songkran ", nothing has ever been announced. I believe the Prime Minister has mused about making three weekends long weekends, but that is as far as it has gone.

As always it would be most helpful if people would refrain from posting speculation, hearsay and wish lists.

Edited by allane
x
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, allane said:

Recently, it was declared that the &th of July would be a holiday for the private sector, as well as for the public sector.

With regard to any supposed "substitute Songkran ", nothing has ever been announced. I believe the Prime Minister has mused about making three weekends long weekends, but that is as far as it has gone.

As always it would be most helpful if people would refrain from posting speculation, hearsay and wish lists.

Do you have a link for the private sector part, having a discussion with HR about it.

For reference:-

4 Jul Sat Asahna Bucha Day
5 Jul Sun Khao Phansa Day *  (Buddhist Lent)
6 Jul Mon Asahna Bucha Day Holiday  (Substitution)
7 Jul Tue

Khao Phansa Holiday *  (Substitution)

These are Buddhist religious days so NO ALCOHOL.

28 Jul Tue King Vajiralongkorn's Birthday.

For any Cambodian ex-pats and foreigners who read TVF, please note these dates are NOT public holidays in Cambodia and it is business as usual (bars, restaurants, pubs and shops will be open).

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

To the best of my recollection, the news story I saw a couple of days ago did not use the term "private sector".  I believe it used the term "public holiday". For the information of all concerned:  It is only the first day of this 2 day "holiday" that is a Statutory Holiday. Day 2 has always been a holiday only for the public sector, to make up for the fact that only the private sector gets the May 1 Labour Day holiday.

As an aside, "Day 2" has always been a great day for banking; when you walk into a bank on that day, it is obvious that most people think that the banks must be closed. The Khaosod English story which I just read states that the Bank of Thailand has not yet announced anything following the government's announcement of a few minutes ago.

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What is sure:

Monday, July 6

Tuesday, July 7

Tuesday, July 28

Uncertain for me:

there were reports that the three cancelled Songkran holidays would be replaced by three single holidays in July.

Anyone knows for sure?

The postponed Songkran holidays will turn up in August/September according to an article in The Nation a couple of weeks ago. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference:-

4 Jul Sat Asahna Bucha Day
5 Jul Sun Khao Phansa Day *  (Buddhist Lent)
6 Jul Mon Asahna Bucha Day Holiday  (Substitution)
7 Jul Tue

Khao Phansa Holiday *  (Substitution)

These are Buddhist religious days so NO ALCOHOL.

28 Jul Tue King Vajiralongkorn's Birthday.

For any Cambodian ex-pats and foreigners who read TVF, please note these dates are NOT public holidays in Cambodia and it is business as usual (bars, restaurants, pubs and shops will be open).

Not that it makes much difference, besides bar openings and of course temple attendance, but I think those dates are not 100%.  AFAICan work out, 4th is nothing, 5th is Asarnha Bucha Day, 6th is substitute for Asarnha Bucha Day and Khao Phansa and 7th is an extra/substitute Khao Phansa day.

18 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Schools are closed 4-7 July makes me wonder why they are even opening this week

I don't have children at school ( have taught ) but noticed over the years that children have gone back on a Thursday or Friday before a long weekend.

Perhaps with a new school year starting and the upheaval of Covid restrictions confirmation of enrollment and selected classes can be done before the holiday and, on return to school there is less downtime for the pupil and teachers to get back in to a teaching / studying mode.

I live on the outskirts of a small town and many of the children come from poorer families or where children have been dumped on elderly relatives or where they have to be with a mother / father / grandparent helping in the local market.   For the past many weeks any form of school based education has taken a back seat even when the child has school exercise books: partly due to lack of interest or ability by the child's guardians.   Easing the shock of returning to full time ( !? ) schooling by having a couple of days at school now then the holiday period can help all concerned assess how they are going to manage their days of the new school year.

My daughters own three young children in the UK have been lucky with home schooling, BBC apps etc. and I count them as all being very very lucky, I just hope the UK govt gets it's head out of its a... and listens to what the parents and children are concerned about when opening up schools, the threat of fines doesn't help.   ( I was lucky being at school in England in the 1950's and 60's with small classes and good options in further education if one wanted to leave school at a young age ( like myself at 15 ), that option led me to a career that lasted over 50 years in UK and many other countries.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, allane said:

&th of July ??????

On 6/30/2020 at 10:13 AM, KhunBENQ said:

What is sure:

Monday, July 6

Tuesday, July 7

Tuesday, July 28

Uncertain for me:

Anyone knows for sure?

Your first list plus the 27th is more likely. The 27th is the first replacement holiday out of three for Songkran. 

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Your first list plus the 27th is more likely. The 27th is the first replacement holiday out of three for Songkran.

Yes, I already realized.

Another member seems to have read about plans for the other days in Sep/Oct.