"You're falling asleep and gonna crash" - Tour bus driver nods off and crashes, 30 hurt

webfact

"You're falling asleep and gonna crash" - Tour bus driver nods off and crashes, 30 hurt

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Passengers on a privately owned tour bus heading south got concerned when their vehicle was wandering off a straight line. 

They thought that their elderly driver was nodding off behind the wheel. 

They allegedly told him to stop and get rest.

He ignored their advice and plugged on. He then fell asleep and plunged into the central reservation with the vehicle ending up on its side in the ditch.

Everyone was shaken about severely, but only two of the 30 onboard were in a serious condition with head and other body wounds. Suwarin and Ankhana, 29, both from Nakhon Sri Thammnarat were taken to hospital. 

The bus - owned by Nakhon Sri Racha Tour - had left the southern bus terminal in Bangkok at 5.30 pm. The accident occurred near the PTT gas station on Moo 4, Bang Saphan KM384 around 11.30 last night.

Bang Saphan police are investigating the passengers' claims that driver Preecha,68, fell asleep at the wheel after being warned that was going to happen if he didn't stop and rest. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-30

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

At 64, I wouldn't hire me to drive a bus/cargo ship/aircraft.

Concentration, reaction speed, ability to stay awake all shot to hell.

In the shipping world there's no age limit. You have the current merchant mariner documents in order and you good to go. We had guys in late 70's doing the job of steering.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In the shipping world there's no age limit. You have the current merchant mariner documents in order and you good to go. We had guys in late 70's doing the job of steering.

What i heard about steering those huge oil tankers it does not really matter how fast you respond as its hard to make last minute changes anyway. You need to plan well ahead. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

What i heard about steering those huge oil tankers it does not really matter how fast you respond as its hard to make last minute changes anyway. You need to plan well ahead. 

I've only steered those on simulators and you're right about the lack of responsiveness especially at low speeds.

22 minutes ago, ezzra said:

This is a culpable negligence on the part of the bus company, that's is strange that usually those long hauls trips there is and should be a relief driver to take over in such cases, and mind you, not that they have shortage of drivers now that all this covid business and people out of work...

The problem with 2 drivers is they talk for the whole trip, so neither gets any rest.

Plus the fact they are distracted from doing their job 100%

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Are you saying that old people can't do jobs as well as younger people. Be prepared to be lynched by the OAP's on the forum.. better run I hear a crowd approaching with pitchforks and tar. ????

No - they are coming with Zimmer frames and Deep Heat cream  ????

off dreaming to his happy placeimage.jpeg.dd8ff948d95bef6ff5de015db8025856.jpeg

where nothing can go wrong in the confines of a pinball machines walls... 

yet can still manage to fall out of the cot

Image result for English Canal Boat Locks 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No sympathy, they should have got off, or chucked him off.

Not to mention why is a 68 year old allowed to drive a bus?

I am 77 and I tell you what - I would be a more competent and safer driver of a bus than the 6 who commented favourably at the time of me writing this. A bit of ageism there!  

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You think a 68 year old could fight off 30 passengers?

He is driving a bus at 90 kph !  So who is going to knock him out while he is in the driving seat ??  I know it wouldn't be you !

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not too many trees or concrete posts in the Atlantic Ocean   PML

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The bus - owned by Nakhon Sri Racha Tour - had left the southern bus terminal in Bangkok at 5.30 pm. The accident occurred near the PTT gas station on Moo 4, Bang Saphan KM384 around 11.30 last night

So he had already driven 6 hours without a break, where was the final destination?

Passengers should have called him out and stopped the bus.

1 hour ago, Trentham said:

I am 77 and I tell you what - I would be a more competent and safer driver of a bus than the 6 who commented favourably at the time of me writing this. A bit of ageism there!  

Im sure your a better driver thwn me. However im sure you were a bettwr driver at 45 then now at 77. Agism is realism. 

I am weaker in the gym then when i was younger. I have less energy then when i was younger. Age is not just a number.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No sympathy, they should have got off, or chucked him off.

Not to mention why is a 68 year old allowed to drive a bus?

They let people a lot older than that, run countries...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

He is driving a bus at 90 kph !  So who is going to knock him out while he is in the driving seat ??  I know it wouldn't be you !

90kph for 5 hours with no stops or traffic lights?

Just amazed at how daft posters on this forum have become.

another on ignore, I just can't force myself to communicate at this level.

Edited by BritManToo