"You're falling asleep and gonna crash" - Tour bus driver nods off and crashes, 30 hurt

webfact

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just got other ships, fishing boats, drill rigs, etc, etc that's all

But not quite as close as on the road, and radar will not pick up and warn you about a tree 20 metres ahead when you are doing 120 kph. 

And other ships, oil rigs etc should have lights on them.

Icebergs........not! PML

Edited by stouricks

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Im sure your a better driver thwn me. However im sure you were a bettwr driver at 45 then now at 77. Agism is realism. 

I am weaker in the gym then when i was younger. I have less energy then when i was younger. Age is not just a number.

At 45 years of age I was an idiot. I drove an XJS Jaguar which I had airborne a number of times at around 200 KPH. I should not be alive now. I was a complete show-off fool.

• Thanks 1

68 is considered elderly by the article's writer? What's 80 then? Dinosaur? What age does 'elderly' start at? Hacked off by a cheap shot.

Age has little to do with driving skills, perhaps reaction times will be longer than if he were 28.times

if he was told by passengers that he was falling asleep and failed to heed them, that's criminal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I did the same thing.. was foolish too. Gf told me she was tired (about 3 km before reaching home). It was during the day only went out to some restaurant and now back about 2 km before reaching home she fell asleep. I just had time to curse before we rammed a concrete post. 

I thought she could have made it and we were close.. after that i never underestimated the idea of people being sleepy.

A driver did the same when passing my house. He'd been driving for hours, was less than 10 kms from home and thought he could get there. Wrong. He fell asleep, jammed his foot on the accelerator and by hitting the roadside bank actually launched himself through the top of a tree before coming to rest facing in the opposite direction inches from the front door of the house opposite. His insurance had expired just the  day before, too.

I thought it was funny when several people spent ages searching the area for his phone that had fallen somewhere. No one had the idea of ringing it to find where it had landed ????

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

They asked him to stop and he refused. How do you propose to stop the bus if you attack the driver while he is driving?

Well if one person keeps arguing with him he will not fall asleep will he ????

It has been my decision a long time ago not to do buses like that. Esp. the long haul ones, no way. That is the reason, but I prefer taxi when going to Pattaya for business as I do not get out these days.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not to mention why is a 68 year old allowed to drive a bus?

For the same reasons 68 year olds are able to fly airplanes.

Stadtler never rides the bus as it is too pedestrian for Stadtler's tastes, but if Stadtler did, Stadtler would bring a cattle prod for just such an event.

:crazy:????????????️

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

Edited by Stadtler

I was riding from chumphon to Prachuap yesterday and witnessed the recovery of the coach. It was intact but in the ditch. If all passengers had seat belts to wear it's unlikely there would have been any injuries (but a hell of a rough ride). 

The recovery started to lift it but I needed to get on with my journey so no further pictures. 

20200630_112502.jpg

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No sympathy, they should have got off, or chucked him off.

Not to mention why is a 68 year old allowed to drive a bus?

How do you get off when he wouldn't stop ?? :crazy: are you suggesting jumping off a moving bus ?

Guess his half dozen M8 drinks wore off.... I usually see these guys chug before a overnight trip

I began taking buses that had 2 drivers.....felt much safer trying to grab some winks at night....

Always good to have a wingman keeping an eye on each other......

Once happened to my wife and I, years ago, when travelling on a big bus, as a truck mechanic in a previous life, i started to hear a noise from a rear wheel, got the missus to go tell the driver who was wearing earphones, to stop the bus, he wasn't having any of it, eventually her nagging got to him, stopped the bus and found that an outside rear tyre was flat, we all waited until the bloke came and changed it. After, several falangs on the bus, thanked us for potentially preventing what could have been a fatal accident.

22 hours ago, robblok said:

I agree.. but I know people who disagree a certain Australian chap will be here shortly ????

I'm Australian and I retired at 65 too many kangaroos and cattle on road at night lost count of roos I killed.

According to the time line on the accident he should have taken a rest stop at 5 hours or as someone else pointed out where was the relief driver as is mandatory in most countries for longhaul transport drivers 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:38 AM, BritManToo said:

At 64, I wouldn't hire me to drive a bus/cargo ship/aircraft.

Concentration, reaction speed, ability to stay awake all shot to hell.

Speak for yourself. I am 74 and just as fast and alert as I was years ago. Just driven to Pattaya, non stop and back, one stop for petrol.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:35 AM, robblok said:

Are you saying that old people can't do jobs as well as younger people. Be prepared to be lynched by the OAP's on the forum.. better run I hear a crowd approaching with pitchforks and tar. ????

one would suggest the mere use of the term OAP means they are no longer a part of any workforce.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:38 AM, BritManToo said:

At 64, I wouldn't hire me to drive a bus/cargo ship/aircraft.

Concentration, reaction speed, ability to stay awake all shot to hell.

Speak for yourself. I am 74 and just as quick and alert as I was years ago. Just returned from drive from Chiang Mai to Pattaya, non stop and back, one stop for fuel. Will drive to Khon Kean next week.

4 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

Speak for yourself. I am 74 and just as quick and alert as I was years ago. Just returned from drive from Chiang Mai to Pattaya, non stop and back, one stop for fuel. Will drive to Khon Kean next week.

You did a return trip non stop is what you're saying?? Why??

7 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

Speak for yourself. I am 74 and just as fast and alert as I was years ago. Just driven to Pattaya, non stop and back, one stop for petrol.

nonsense, unless you were very slow as a youth,

deny it all you will but reaction times degrade. 

Im not saying you are not still alert and active, you just aren't what you were.

52 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

I wouldn't get in a car you were driving.

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Guess his half dozen M8 drinks wore off.... I usually see these guys chug before a overnight trip

Would point out, it's usually rice whiskey in the M150/Redbull bottles.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Farangdanny said:

You mean to say you drove over 1600Km in one hit. Christ you must be related to Superman. The most I drove in on day was  just over 600Km and that was enough for me. And that was 20 years ago.

At my age now the most I can comfortably drive is about 450 and thats with a couple of 1 hour stops,

On 6/30/2020 at 9:52 AM, JensenZ said:

They asked him to stop and he refused. How do you propose to stop the bus if you attack the driver while he is driving?

you  cant  drive  with  broken  arms

21 hours ago, rascalman said:

It has been my decision a long time ago not to do buses like that. Esp. the long haul ones, no way. That is the reason, but I prefer taxi when going to Pattaya for business as I do not get out these days.

Taxi drivers fall asleep too.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:12 PM, roger101 said:

You mean to say you drove over 1600Km in one hit. Christ you must be related to Superman. The most I drove in on day was  just over 600Km and that was enough for me. And that was 20 years ago.

At my age now the most I can comfortably drive is about 450 and thats with a couple of 1 hour stops,

Not one hit. I drove there one day and back 3 days later. It's not difficult, just have to concentrate and watch everyone else and be prepared.