Just turned 50. Can I convert my TV into a Non O?

I was just after some advice about applying for a Non-O based on retirement. I arrived in Thailand on 16th February on a 60-day Tourist Visa and I’m now on amnesty. I fortunately (or unfortunately!!) turned 50 last week and wanted to now convert that TR into Non 0 at Chaeng Wattana, using the income method.

I don’t receive a pension but have a decent income through a number of rental properties in London. I’m currently here on a New Zealand passport. Could you please advise if this is possible without leaving the country and what I need to take with me to CW?

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Applying online , they wouldnt accept rental income for income, it had to be from a pension , and it actually stated that rental income is unacceptable and you had to show proof of retirement 

Thanks for the info, i didn't even know you could apply on line. Can you send me the link?

8 minutes ago, London Boy said:

Thanks for the info, i didn't even know you could apply on line. Can you send me the link?

OK, I will go and do a websearch, type in "Thailand retirement visa" look though the results, find the right one and then come back and post the link here, be back soon 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, London Boy said:

Ignore the online part.

Since you are from New Zealand you can do a statutory declaration at the your embassy that immigration will accept to prove your income.

But the problem you will have is that immigration does not consider the "automatic extension" under the amnesty as an extension of your 60 day entry from a tourist visa. Others have tried already.

Requrirments for the non immigrant visa application is here. http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Don't you have to first leave Thailand and obtain non-o visa outside of country. And only after then extend these visas inside of Thailand for 1 year?

No you do not have to leave the country to apply for a non-o visa.

You would extend the 90 day entry from the visa,. Visas are not extended.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ignore the online part.

Since you are from New Zealand you can do a statutory declaration at the your embassy that immigration will accept to prove your income.

But the problem you will have is that immigration does not consider the "automatic extension" under the amnesty as an extension of your 60 day entry from a tourist visa. Others have tried already.

Requrirments for the non immigrant visa application is here. http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

Thanks ubonJoe. If I goto immigration, apply for the 30 day exenstion to my 60 day, and then try to convert that to a Non O, will that work? Also do i need the income affadavit for the intial 90 day Non-O visa

10 minutes ago, London Boy said:

Thanks ubonJoe. If I goto immigration, apply for the 30 day exenstion to my 60 day, and then try to convert that to a Non O, will that work? Also do i need the income affadavit for the intial 90 day Non-O visa

If you have not applied for the 30 day extension already they should let you apply for it and do the visa application on the same day.

You will need the statutory declaration from the embassy to apply.

Form the list of required documents.

"6. A letter of guarantee from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate that proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of monthly pension)"

• Like 2

@London Boy > I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement and subsequent 1-year extensions of stay.

Note: Because of the Amnesty some of the options in that document (e.g. applying at a thai embassy/consulate in your home-country or near-by country) are not available at the moment due to border-closure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Don't you have to first leave Thailand and obtain non-o visa outside of country. And only after then extend these visas inside of Thailand for 1 year?

No. If you entered Visa exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you can apply for a Non O Visa from a VE entry (TM87), or a change of Visa status, from TV to Non O (TM86) at you Immigration office as the preliminary step to obtaining an annual extension, which first requires a Non Imm type Visa.

There are requirements for this process as already posted by UJ.

http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

You cannot extend a Visa. You extend the permission of stay granted by a Visa or VE entry.

The Visa ends on it's 'enter before', or 'valid until' date.

The validity of your permission of stay is completely separate from the validity of a Visa.

• Like 1

OP: Please report back on whether:

- They date your 30-day extension from the date you applied - not from when your last stamped permitted-stay (60-days) ran out (would be useless, if the latter)
 - They allow you to apply for the Non-O 90-day from this
 - If they make issues about you using income proven by embassy-letter to apply for the Non-O 90-day

This info can help others with similar situations.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, London Boy said:

I don’t receive a pension but have a decent income through a number of rental properties in London.

Great way to build assets. If they don't accept rental income, get a mortgage in one of the proerty for 800K BHT and put it in a Thai bank for applying based on "money in the bank" method. You can repay the mortgage using rental incomes. Mortgage rate being so low through out the world right now, it won't cost you too much, I guess. 

Ignore it. Read you have a New Zealand passport. So you would be able to get an "embassy letter". Keep bringing 65K around the first week of every month and In case they give you problem, just hire an agent and get it done for around 5K (in Pattaya)

Edited by Mulambana
  • Confused 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, London Boy said:

Go and see an agent and save yourself all the hassle, there is a good one in Bangkok.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, London Boy said:

The short answer is: You can't. Don't listen to people who doesn't have a clue. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

The short answer is: You can't. Don't listen to people who doesn't have a clue. 

You can apply online from abroad , I supplied the link and tried to do so myself and it was there that it was stated that property income will not be accepted as retirement income  and I was passing on that info , although it may be different if you are applying from within Thailand  

12 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You can apply online from abroad , I supplied the link and tried to do so myself and it was there that it was stated that property income will not be accepted as retirement income  and I was passing on that info , although it may be different if you are applying from within Thailand  

You were reading information from the Thai Embassy website for applying online for a Non O Visa in the UK.

The OP is already in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, but wants to apply for a change in Visa status to a Non O, using form TM87.

It's an internal application process at a Thai Immigration office in Thailand and cannot be completed online, only in person.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

It's either an Embassy Income letter, OR proof of income funds. (Bank statements/Passbooks)

Theoretically you shouldn't need anything more than the Embassy letter, but a good idea to take along some form of proof of income, just in case they request it.

Thanks for all the useful replies. One last question before I head to Chaeng Wattana next Wednesday. I’m currently using my gf’s motorbike but don’t have a Thai Motorbike Licence. I’ve been told before I can apply for a licence i need to obtain a residence certificate or some kind of certified proof of address. Do I get this from the NZ Embassy or Chaeng Wattana?

8 minutes ago, London Boy said:

I’ve been told before I can apply for a licence i need to obtain a residence certificate or some kind of certified proof of address. Do I get this from the NZ Embassy or Chaeng Wattana?

You will not be able to get one from Chaeng Wattana immigration until you have done your first 90 day report to them. That would mean about a 5 month wait before you can get one.

Maybe best to get one from your embassy.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be able to get one from Chaeng Wattana immigration until you have done your first 90 day report to them. That would mean about a 5 month wait before you can get one.

Maybe best to get one from your embassy.

Okay I’ll ask them for one at my appointment next Tuesday. Is that also what I need to be able to buy a car in my name (in cash no finance)?

19 minutes ago, London Boy said:

Okay I’ll ask them for one at my appointment next Tuesday. Is that also what I need to be able to buy a car in my name (in cash no finance)?

You will need one for the drivers license and another one for the car's registration.

13 minutes ago, London Boy said:

Thanks Ubonjoe. Whats the exact wording, I'll send them an email now. 'Residence Certificate'?

Not sure about yours but some call it a proof of address declaration.

The correct name used on immigration's application form is certificate of residency.

• Like 1