China passes Hong Kong security law amid global opposition

webfact

19 hours ago, dimitriv said:

There was an interesting article about Uighurs and other minorities in China on https://apnews.com/269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c

... is leading to what some experts are calling a form of “demographic genocide.”

The state regularly subjects minority women to pregnancy checks, and forces intrauterine devices, sterilization and even abortion on hundreds of thousands, the interviews and data show...

But the world is silent.   Concentration camps, genocide, sterilization. Where did we see that before ?  What happened with "never again" ?

There is no doubt that China has some serious human rights issues . It also appears to be seeking to expand its territory  by what ever mean it takes , massive loans by way of construction projects in several countries .

Today is the anniversary of the Hong Kong handover and also the introduction of the new China laws to Hong Kong . So today is a H/K holiday and there will no doubt demonstrations on the streets of H/K and under the new laws the demonstrators will be removed and imprisoned in China .  

When will the world wake up to the tyrannical CCP ?   Trade wars of boycotting Chinese goods could have an impact ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, superal said:

There is no doubt that China has some serious human rights issues . It also appears to be seeking to expand its territory  by what ever mean it takes , massive loans by way of construction projects in several countries .

Today is the anniversary of the Hong Kong handover and also the introduction of the new China laws to Hong Kong . So today is a H/K holiday and there will no doubt demonstrations on the streets of H/K and under the new laws the demonstrators will be removed and imprisoned in China .  

When will the world wake up to the tyrannical CCP ?   Trade wars of boycotting Chinese goods could have an impact ? 

The democrats in America have successfully turned Americans against themselves, so I don't see America having the focus or resolve in any foreseeable future to devote much attention to the China threat. Systematic racism is now America's number one priority. China? China who? Racist police officers, a vastly greater threat.

Amusing to read trump supporters accusing Democrats of doing what actually trump does / fails to do. Classic trump doublethink. e.g.

"The democrats in America have successfully turned Americans against themselves"

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Amusing to read trump supporters accusing Democrats of doing what actually trump does / fails to do. Classic trump doublethink.

Care to elaborate? And by the way, I'm not really a Trump supporter, I'm an Identitarian, politically-correct, collectivistic, emotionalist Democrat-despiser. Trump just happens to be the lesser of two evils when compared to the likes of you and your ilk.

Edited by OZinPattaya
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Elect the democrats in 2020 and you'll hear even less than a squeak. And at least be honest. The only thing China fears about the West is Trump. It has no reason whatever to fear anyone or anything else.

Hard to fear when China has a grip on Trump's grapefruit. Similar Putin and Kim are playing Trump like a fiddle. All of those leaders mentioned have lifetime presidency; Trump is out-going and is more bark than bite. According to Bolton, Trump crumbled at the feet of Xi pleading for him to save his election. So much for your self indulgence in believing Trump is a strong man and the best deal maker. ????

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Hard to fear when China has a grip on Trump's grapefruit. Similar Putin and Kim are playing Trump like a fiddle. All of those leaders mentioned have lifetime presidency; Trump is out-going and is more bark than bite. According to Bolton, Trump crumbled at the feet of Xi pleading for him to save his election. So much for your self indulgence in believing Trump is a strong man and the best deal maker. ????

Okay, so what's the better option? Biden? What exactly is your alternative? Where's the "strong man" in the democratic party? Well, there isn't one, is there? The best you guys could produce is a trembling old man who on a good day can read from a teleprompter.

Edited by OZinPattaya
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Okay, so what's the better option? Biden? What exactly is your alternative? Where's the "strong man" in the democratic party? Well, there isn't one, is there? At least it's China that has Trump's grapefruit in a vise, and not some fat hag he calls his wife.

The better option is to rally your allies to confront China. Biden has much incumbency working with Obama and allies to confront China like stepping up WTO trade enforcement measures and blocking several high profile acquisition deals involving China. TPP excluded China was a measure to block China trade influence. All these measures were truncated by Trump's combative and unilateral policy, rejecting TPP and alienating the allies. Biden's foreign policy will be a huge improvement.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

The better option is to rally your allies to confront China. Biden has much incumbency working with Obama and allies to confront China like stepping up WTO trade enforcement measures and blocking several high profile acquisition deals involving China. TPP excluded China was a measure to block China trade influence. All these measures were truncated by Trump's combative and unilateral policy, rejecting TPP and alienating the allies. Biden's foreign policy will be a huge improvement.

Yes, try rallying those allies and see where that gets you. And we all know how hawkish Obama was with regards to China. Biden has publicly stated that he does not even consider China a threat. Trump's unilateralism is predicated upon the complete lack of teeth where western powers have sought to appease China rather than defy it. Does Biden even have a foreign policy? This is the first I've heard of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Out of China’s population of 1.4 billion, there are nearly 34 million more males than females — the equivalent of almost the entire population of California, or Poland, who will never find wives and only rarely have sex.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/world/too-many-men/

Two years ago, while dining at a restaurant on Bar Street, Siem Reap, I noticed a table of eight young Chinese men seated next to my party.  Objectively, they were all quite ugly.  They had a well-dressed, attractive young Chinese lady to translate dinner orders.  She was constantly on her phone.

We paid our bill and left.  Later, I think I figured this out.  The ugly Chinese men had paid for this trip to Siem Reap to find Cambodian wives to bring home.  Those marriages usually end quickly with tragic results.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Biden also has a wealth of experience working with world leaders is a team player and a decent person not a narssisitc laughing stalk like trump trump Has us in full retreat on all fronts anyone would be a vast improvement over trump and keep in mind Biden was a key person in the TEAM that got us out of trouble last time!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OZinPattaya said:

Yes, try rallying those allies and see where that gets you. And we all know how hawkish Obama was with regards to China. Biden has publicly stated that he does not even consider China a threat. Trump's unilateralism is predicated upon the complete lack of teeth where western powers have sought to appease China rather than defy it. Does Biden even have a foreign policy? This is the first I've heard of it.

That is lots of things you can't fathom but yet you able to string a post. 

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Biden also has a wealth of experience working with world leaders is a team player and a decent person not a narssisitc laughing stalk like trump trump Has us in full retreat on all fronts anyone would be a vast improvement over trump and keep in mind Biden was a key person in the TEAM that got us out of trouble last time!

That is what you think of Biden, which matters not at all. This is what the CCP thinks: Old, fragile, weak-willed, easy forestalled and manipulated, careerist, nothing to fear. You think the CCP is only holding back for lack of a "team-player" from the West? Because the CCP wants only to play by the rules, right? And do only what's fair? And that's what's going to be so comical watching the Dems trying to deal with the CCP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

That is lots of things you can't fathom but yet you able to string a post. 

I know this was supposed to sound clever, but you might want to try making sense first. Oscar Wilde you definitely are not, so don't try to be one.

• Like 1

Article 38 of the new law states:

"This law shall be applicable to persons who do not have permanent resident status in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and commit crimes under this law against Hong Kong Special Administrative Region out side Hong Kong Special Administrative Region"

This means you can be anywhere in the world and still fall foul of this law. I suggest those that intend breaking it are very careful to the destinations they go to.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OZinPattaya said:

Yeah, I got a lot of confidence in the East Indians. China threw everything it had at them and it wasn't much. I reckon it would take the US about 3 weeks to utterly decimate the Chinese military, and that's without the help from the UK and the EU. So long as we don't try to occupy China--the great folly America has fallen into time and time again--I don't see a problem here. It's that or a cold economic war, which I actually prefer.

Interesting ... So can you expend on that strategy please .. Wipe out the Chinese military .. but not occupy the country?  How would that work?

You think the average Chinese person will  start to 'love' USA then, after they have wiped out the Chinese military?

Oh .. and are you talking nuclear or non nuclear?

35 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

Not sure what 95% of posts have to do with Hong Kong National Security law???

it is claimed by a member trump has the PRC leadership's "grapefruit in a vise" because he's so tough, which is of course contradicted by the OP.

Edited by simple1
  • Sad 1

The horrible reality is that there is little or nothing the outside world can do to stop this.

The security law, and what I think is often often lost in that, is the establishment of a mainland security force in HK, is essentially the end of One Country Two Systems.

So the US will end the special privileges it gives HK. The EU will make some mealy mouth statement that they are 'concerned'. The UK which is supposed to guarantee the agreement is basically powerless. The days of them sending a couple of gunboats up the river are over!

So what do we do. The only thing we can do, try to help as many people as possible.

Kudos to the British for offering residency to pre 97 BNO's, although they should have done that back in 97, but thats good.

In the US there are bipartisan bills in Congress to give refugee status to Hong Kongers, similar to the Chinese Student Protection Act back in 1992 after Tiananmen, of which I have a very good friend who benefited from it after being part of the student protests

In Taiwan, with the delicate balance they have to walk, have set up a 'special office' for those at political risk. Which in double speak means that they will probably give an RoC passport to anyone who shows up

Edited by GinBoy2

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The horrible reality is that there is little or nothing the outside world can do to stop this.

The security law, and what I think is often often lost in that, is the establishment of a mainland security force in HK, is essentially the end of One Country Two Systems.

So the US will end the special privileges it gives HK. The EU will make some mealy mouth statement that they are 'concerned'. The UK which is supposed to guarantee the agreement is basically powerless. The days of them sending a couple of gunboats up the river are over!

So what do we do. The only thing we can do, try to help as many people as possible.

Kudos to the British for offering residency to pre 97 BNO's, although they should have done that back in 97, but thats good.

In the US there are bipartisan bills in Congress to give refugee status to Hong Kongers, similar to the Chinese Student Protection Act back in 1992 after Tiananmen, of which I have a very good friend who benefited from it after being part of the student protests

In Taiwan, with the delicate balance they have to walk, have set up a 'special office' for those at political risk. Which in double speak means that they will probably give an RoC passport to anyone who shows up

Hong Kong citizens have been migrating abroad throughout its history. In 1967 to the mid-1970s, social instability resulted in many richer citizens to leave. The Tiananmen Square incident triggered mass migration up to the 1990s. Strangely after 1997, some Hong Kong born emigrants returned to Hong Kong with foreign citizenship. With this current pro-democracy movement and China's security law, almost 50,000 people emigrated in the last 2 years. The citizens are free to emigrate but unlikely to be in the scale of the 'boat people' of Vietnam. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Especially if you have 34 million males you need to dispose of:

Out of China’s population of 1.4 billion, there are nearly 34 million more males than females — the equivalent of almost the entire population of California, or Poland, who will never find wives and only rarely have sex.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/world/too-many-men/

You are being hilarious.    ????
Okay, sometimes, countries fight wars because whatever war suits them. That's partly true.

Now, why would China want to fight a war against America ? Because, according to you, China has got an excess of males, these men need to be disposed of.   ????

Okay, what about America ?  Why would America want to fight a war against China ? Well, America has a massive trade defict with China, it runs to billions every month. China's huge surplus with America is what's allowing China to purchase a huge amount of US government bonds. The US bonds are basically debt that America owes to China. So, the US in the long-term, has to finance this giant debt with China. And the debt is getting bigger every month, as America continues to import far more than it exports to China. And so, the US government might want to fight a war with China, win the war, and have the debt declared null and void. Do you see what I mean ?

Now then, you've put up China's reason for fighting a war against America. I've put up the conventional reason as to why America wants to fight a war against China. Which reason do you think is more realistic ??   ????

19 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Two years ago, while dining at a restaurant on Bar Street, Siem Reap, I noticed a table of eight young Chinese men seated next to my party.  Objectively, they were all quite ugly.  They had a well-dressed, attractive young Chinese lady to translate dinner orders.  She was constantly on her phone.

We paid our bill and left.  Later, I think I figured this out.  The ugly Chinese men had paid for this trip to Siem Reap to find Cambodian wives to bring home.  Those marriages usually end quickly with tragic results.

So, Chinese men are turning up in Cambodia, marrying Cambodian women, and taking the women to China. And these marriages end quickly with tragic results ??
Well, I simply say that there are a number of British and Australian men who marry women in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philipinnes, and take the wife back home to Britain or Australia. And yes, sometimes, there's a quick divorce and pain.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Yes, helping the people of Hong Kong would be great. Offering residency to the pre 97 BNO's ???

Well, I myself don't have a problem with the British government doing this. But will the government actually allow roughly 3 million Hong Kong Chinese to enter and work in Britain ? I really doubt it. Lots of people in Britain simply don't want anymore coloureds to come into Britain. I mean, if people don't want lots of Eastern Europeans to come into Britain, and them Eastern Europeans are actually white, well, they're certainly not going to want a load of coloureds to come in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So, Chinese men are turning up in Cambodia, marrying Cambodian women, and taking the women to China. And these marriages end quickly with tragic results ??
Well, I simply say that there are a number of British and Australian men who marry women in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philipinnes, and take the wife back home to Britain or Australia. And yes, sometimes, there's a quick divorce and pain.

Both Malaysia and Singapore do not have a lack of women problem but many lowly-educated (and usually old) Chinese Malaysians and Chinese Singaporeans seek foreign wives, especially from Vietnam. Many of these marriages of convenience do end up in separation, and from what I heard, it's usually the wives that quit, very often taking the children back to Vietnam with them.

In the past, Thai wives were the preferred choice, but many of those marriages ended up in failures too. 

The ones that succeeded tend to be those where the men were younger and better educated.

• Like 1

Yes, helping the people of Hong Kong would be great. Offering residency to the pre 97 BNO's ???

Well, I myself don't have a problem with the British government doing this. But will the government actually allow roughly 3 million Hong Kong Chinese to enter and work in Britain ? I really doubt it. Lots of people in Britain simply don't want anymore coloureds to come into Britain. I mean, if people don't want lots of Eastern Europeans to come into Britain, and them Eastern Europeans are actually white, well, they're certainly not going to want a load of coloureds to come in.

On the other hand, UK is way down the list of preferred immigration destination. Hong Kong citizens don't feel vibrancy and opportunity in UK's economy. 

• Like 1

Given a choice, many Hong Kong people would prefer Thailand and Malaysia, which have the largest overseas Chinese population in the world. Kuala Lumpur is a popular destination because Cantonese is widely spoken here. But too bad, there is no easy route to get a PR or citizenship in both countries.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, Selatan said:

Global opposition? What a misleading title. The reality?

Landslide support for HK law at UNHRC

2/3 in support of China's move. Mostly farang countries were against it. What a bunch of hypocrites. As if they themselves do not have national security laws.

You are quoting a Chinese propaganda newspaper ?

>> As if they themselves do not have national security laws.

Which countries have security laws that get you arrested when walking on a street with a flag?