Crash Helmet

roger101

There's a good shop on South Pattaya road at the Khor Pai intersection (see map below). 

Wide range of helmets, from cheapie scooter helmets to full sized modulars.

Might be a pain to get there now with the roadworks, depending on where you are coming from/going to.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9213193,100.8872957,3a,75y,200.89h,90.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smnMlsDfsCA01Aiczi1nBFw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Untitled.jpg.0717a1cb536a97330eda4c9cbf040794.jpg

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

There's a good shop on South Pattaya road at the Khor Pai intersection (see map below). 

Wide range of helmets, from cheapie scooter helmets to full sized modulars.

Might be a pain to get there now with the roadworks, depending on where you are coming from/going to.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9213193,100.8872957,3a,75y,200.89h,90.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smnMlsDfsCA01Aiczi1nBFw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Untitled.jpg.0717a1cb536a97330eda4c9cbf040794.jpg

Thanks, I'll try that later.

if you can't find your size you can look on Lazada, Shopee etc.

those ones look nice and very basic, however they have XL size which is normal foreigner size as far as i know

https://shopee.co.th/หมวกกันน็อค-วินเทจ-รุ่น-ID-CR400-(-แบบ-Sport-vintage-model-)-i.23504768.2436396239

...I thought I am the only one who is struggling to find open helmet that fits my head (not small; not sure if odd shaped or not...), but seems not!

Seven years ago I bought open helmet that had label 'Big Boy' from Tesco or BigC for few hundred baht. it fit perfectly and was large enough - however wore out and seems can not find similar anywhere.

Later bought a bike that came with used 'Police style' helmet, but even that is now getting old.

It is actually quite comfortable.

Anybody seen either of above mentioned ones lately somewhere?

6 hours ago, kekalot said:

if you can't find your size you can look on Lazada, Shopee etc.

those ones look nice and very basic, however they have XL size which is normal foreigner size as far as i know

https://shopee.co.th/หมวกกันน็อค-วินเทจ-รุ่น-ID-CR400-(-แบบ-Sport-vintage-model-)-i.23504768.2436396239

Good. Nothing looks stupider than a small helmet perched up on a fat farang head.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, roger101 said:

Thanks, I'll try that later.

I went there yesterday. Didn't have quite what I wanted but near enough. Since having my last helmet stolen I have been using my cycling helmet but I needed something that was better in the rain.

9 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I went there yesterday. Didn't have quite what I wanted but near enough. Since having my last helmet stolen I have been using my cycling helmet but I needed something that was better in the rain.

Yeah, they have a lot of helmets, largest selection I've seen so far, but when I was looking for modular helmet the selection was pretty limited.

They also have a large stock of replacement visors (and can change them on the spot), at least for the "cheapie" helmet types.

If you want guaranteed original and high quality helmet go to any official motorbike dealership. They usually have accessories section in their show room. 

I'm riding Kawasaki so I'm usually buying at Kawasaki. You can get helmets, trousers, jackets, gloves etc etc. Even in big sizes. However they are expensive. Helmets go for 5000 - 15000, trousers 5000 - 8000, jackets 5000 - 20000. But it's better then 150 - 350 helmets from Tesco or Lazada.

33 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

If you want guaranteed original and high quality helmet go to any official motorbike dealership. They usually have accessories section in their show room. 

I'm riding Kawasaki so I'm usually buying at Kawasaki. You can get helmets, trousers, jackets, gloves etc etc. Even in big sizes. However they are expensive. Helmets go for 5000 - 15000, trousers 5000 - 8000, jackets 5000 - 20000. But it's better then 150 - 350 helmets from Tesco or Lazada.

I've bought expensive "DOT" helmets from the USA via Amazon. They collect dust on the shelf next to similar helmets I've bought here. I've had the liners out of both and there is little difference between them (other than the price). 
(Talking full face, modular and half helmets, not "skid lids" or "Tesco/Big C" junk.)

In fact, if you check you will probably find they are probably all made in China. I just looked at a "DOT" helmet I bought off Amazon last year. Manufactured in China.

"Safety Rating - DOT Certified"
673828212_616QnzgOL._AC_SY355_.jpg.9fbb5166379acc5fa65cfdb79fba2299.jpg Manufactured by Zhongshan Hongxu Helmet Manufacturing Company Ltd. (in Zhongshan, China)

Amazon.com - $60 US (plus shipping to Thailand).
AliExpress - $30.00 US (free shipping)

Exact same helmet. 

56 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I've bought expensive "DOT" helmets from the USA via Amazon. They collect dust on the shelf next to similar helmets I've bought here. I've had the liners out of both and there is little difference between them (other than the price). 
(Talking full face, modular and half helmets, not "skid lids" or "Tesco/Big C" junk.)

In fact, if you check you will probably find they are probably all made in China. I just looked at a "DOT" helmet I bought off Amazon last year. Manufactured in China.

"Safety Rating - DOT Certified"
673828212_616QnzgOL._AC_SY355_.jpg.9fbb5166379acc5fa65cfdb79fba2299.jpg Manufactured by Zhongshan Hongxu Helmet Manufacturing Company Ltd. (in Zhongshan, China)

Amazon.com - $60 US (plus shipping to Thailand).
AliExpress - $30.00 US (free shipping)

Exact same helmet. 

Yeah because they are fakes and exact replicas.

You can go on Lazada and you will find running shoes Adidas Ultraboost starting at 600 baht (don't believe me? try it). But if you go to adidas.co.th (try it) or any sports shop in Thailand they are at 6500 Baht. If you put them next to each other they will look exactly the same. But they are not.

Same with helmets. They just look the same. But helmet from eg. Kawasaki dealership for 10 000 Baht is not the same as helmet from Lazada for 350 Baht. They might look the same. Have same stickers. Be exactly the same. But they are not.

• Like 1

I’m not sure why anyone would chance it with a cheap helmet... 

Op: not wishing to be sanctimonious, but do yourself a favour and invest in a decent helmet. 

Gloves too, and trainers at a minimum (never flip flops). 

This should be the bare minimum to potter down to 7-11 to pick up the Changs.... 

Buying online is fraught potential issues from fakes, to quality, to poor fit - Asking for a decent helmet shop is exactly the right thing to do.

Also - knowing the ’shape’ of your head helps (Round, Oval etc) as different manufacturers make helmets to suit slightly different shapes. 

Theres.... 

Helmet Pro

https://www.facebook.com/helmetproshop/

MaiThai-Motorbikes

https://www.facebook.com/maithaimotorbikes/

This thread is old, but may also offer some information: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/416996-largest-selection-of-helmets-in-pattaya/

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I purchased my Arai Helmet from Helmet Pro Shop on Suk Road, they also stock AGV helmets.

They are located right next door to the Kwaka joint.

Never noticed that shop before but then when I'm at that point on the Suk I'm usually trying to get into the right lanes (without getting killed) so I can make the turn at South Pattaya.

The shop Don Mega mentions (Helmet Pro Shop) is attached to the end of the Mityon/Kawasaki dealership on Sukhumvit, southbound side, just past the Highway Police office and on the opposite side of the Suk from the Honda Big Wing store.
https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Helmet+Pro+Shop+ร้านขายหมวกกันน็อค/@12.9207132,100.897571,20.28z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x310295304d0d18ff:0xc8f79b883ba6867a!2zSGVsbWV0IFBybyBTaG9wIOC4o-C5ieC4suC4meC4guC4suC4ouC4q-C4oeC4p-C4geC4geC4seC4meC4meC5h-C4reC4hA!8m2!3d12.920649!4d100.8975642!3m4!1s0x310295304d0d18ff:0xc8f79b883ba6867a!8m2!3d12.920649!4d100.8975642?hl=en

202509785_helmetshop.jpg.dcd1eb6517d5c59300aa8563b5213005.jpg

They have a Facebook page - and a link to a webpage which doesn't work.
https://www.facebook.com/helmetproshop/

After a bit of searching I found a different link for the shop - https://helmet-pro-shop.business.site/

(It's all in Thai and I'm not sure how current it is as the last updates are from over a year ago.)

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Gap is the market for a falang to open a helmet shop, but of course it's easier to open a bar.....

I dont see there being a gap, existing shops are supplying quality helmets just fine.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

but nothing like the range here compared to the link

well go home and buy one, a person would have to have rocks in their head to import a range such as that in your link to have it sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

well go home and buy one, a person would have to have rocks in their head to import a range such as that in your link to have it sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

like i said gap in the market for a shop with a better range than currently exists. Of course you wouldn't have a warehouse full of helmets if there isn't a demand

Edited by scubascuba3

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Gap is the market for a falang to open a helmet shop, but of course it's easier to open a bar.....

Hard to bar fine the staff from a helmet shop ! (More profit in booze too.)

I think the market for decent/hi-end helmets here would be pretty small. Most motorcycles here are scooters and the owners either get a free "100 baht" helmet with purchase or buy the cheapest version they can find in the big chain store like Tesco/Big C.

Though the big bike market is getting bigger. I think a lot of the "Adventure Bike" crowd would be more into quality helmets, especially the newer tech ones with built in Bluetooth and other features.
And from what I've seen among my (Thai) friends, few of them are wearing "quality" helmets. I saw a couple "couples" wearing bluetooth helmets but most guys/girls are wearing ordinary, low cost rigs. 

Probably though the best option would be to finagle deals with existing shops (Route 66, Hot Rod, etc) to set up booths/shelves in their shops (for a cut of the profits of course). Supplement that with sales booths at the various bike weeks.

Custom helmet paint jobs though. Have a helmet shop that also offers custom paint jobs ? (There's a guy just north of Bangkok that does airbrush paint jobs. He sells skid lids for 1,200 baht at Burapa and other bike events. They look great and he does custom work as well.)

Remember the old adage about Pattaya (and Thailand in general) - If you want to make a small fortune here, start with a big one !
(That way, by the time you realize you aren't going to make money, you may still get away without losing everything.)

To have a decent helmet shop here, you'd have to have the money to set it up, advertise, hire staff and then patiently wait, maybe for months, before you get enough business just to pay the bills.

(Set up storefronts on Lazada and other platforms and ship helmets around the country.) You might be able to make a go of it, but it would be hard to make it worthwhile just selling helmets.

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

(Set up storefronts on Lazada and other platforms and ship helmets around the country.) You might be able to make a go of it, but it would be hard to make it worthwhile just selling helmets.

I don't know about others but I personally would not buy a helmet online.

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah but over here ?
My neighbour does deliveries for (Grab/LaLaMove/MacDonalds). Yesterday I saw a 7-11 delivery guy bring a small bag of something to his house. We have a frikken 7-11 at the entrance to the housing complex, 300 meters away !
I mentioned it and his response was "day off". He was taking the day off so he couldn't be bothered to even ride his own scooter to the 7-11 on the corner and instead had someone else deliver the stuff.

When it comes to buying a helmet, I'd suspect that a lot of people, foreign and local, would have a similar mindset. Browse and order from home then wait for delivery. If it's not what you expected, return it and try again.

There's lots on Lazada already, from the cheapies on up to ones in the 40-46,000 baht range. Got to watch though. Some vendors will have the same thing listed multiple times on different "storefronts" and at wildly different prices. Only 96,000 items listed under "motorcycle helmets" on Lazada though !

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

My neighbour does deliveries for (Grab/LaLaMove/MacDonalds). Yesterday I saw a 7-11 delivery guy bring a small bag of something to his house. We have a frikken 7-11 at the entrance to the housing complex, 300 meters away !
I mentioned it and his response was "day off". He was taking the day off so he couldn't be bothered to even ride his own scooter to the 7-11 on the corner and instead had someone else deliver the stuff.

When it comes to buying a helmet, I'd suspect that a lot of people, foreign and local, would have a similar mindset. Browse and order from home then wait for delivery. If it's not what you expected, return it and try again.

The part that I have bolded and underlined is why I wont buy a helmet online, far less aggravation to buy it from a physical store after a test fitting.

Ive had a packet of ciggies delivered because I could not be bothered going out in the heat on the scoot.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I know that Shoei, Shark and Nolan fit me well so I'd be happy to buy online. A seller would need to offer free returns like the one in the link. I returned one with them no issues back in the UK