BANGKOK
craighj

House building questions

Hello all

I'm likely going to build a house on a piece of land we have in Mukdahan and I would like your opinion on a couple of things please.

What is the best / best value roofing material, the actual roof structure will be metal but I'm tossing up a few different alternatives for the roofing?

Buy things for the construction and also the fit out of the house, are the big brand building supply / hardware's the best value?  For things like tiles, toilets, piping, steel, doors, windows etc, etc, etc Places like Thaiwatsadu, Global house etc or more local types you see around?

Craighj

Thanks bankruatsteve and sometimewordworker.  Yes I guess it's a mixed all of these guys, local and the big boys.  The big boys have some decent specials at times so keeping an eye out for those is also a factor.

Craighj

37 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Also high ceilings help, 3 metres

High??? That’s moderate, ours AFIR is about 7 at the peak and 3.5 in the lower section.

I disagree on the use of a storage heater for roofing material. Good quality metal roofing is cheaper, better and doesn’t store anything like the amount a tile roof will.

• Like 1

if you want to rely on aircon dont use tall ceilings

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

High??? That’s moderate, ours AFIR is about 7 at the peak and 3.5 in the lower section.

I disagree on the use of a storage heater for roofing material. Good quality metal roofing is cheaper, better and doesn’t store anything like the amount a tile roof will.

3 to 3.3 metre ceiling heights work well for the design of the house we have for a single level, if you have 7 metres at the peak, you must have an exceptional build, we have 5 metres in the mid section of our attic to allow all that trapped air to make its way out with the vents, whirlybirds and vented eaves, like I aid, creates a wind tunnel effect, just by sticking my head up there in the manhole, I can feel it moving, works well for us, there is no storage heater for the roof material, and I would imagine that with a metal roof you can hear the rain ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

3 to 3.3 metre ceiling heights work well for the design of the house we have for a single level, if you have 7 metres at the peak, you must have an exceptional build, we have 5 metres in the mid section of our attic to allow all that trapped air to make its way out with the vents, whirlybirds and vented eaves, like I aid, creates a wind tunnel effect, just by sticking my head up there in the manhole, I can feel it moving, works well for us, there is no storage heater for the roof material, and I would imagine that with a metal roof you can hear the rain ?

Our design is certainly unique as you can see if you visit my profile page.

In my workshop I certainly hear the rain, in the living area it’s audible, in the bedroom only just audible when we get heavy rain.

Concrete/ceramic is the material used in storage heaters, so if you have concrete/ceramic tiles for roofing  Q.E.D. you have a storage heater on your roof, as you yourself say

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The above said, good sisalation under your tiles is very important to delay the heat from the tiles coming into your attic space

:clap2:

Edited by sometimewoodworker

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is a different place where you will find the answers to most, apart from electrical questions, that is dedicated to building cool Thai houses. Most of your questions have already got answers there.

For electrical work this is the better place for quick knowledgeable information.

TIT. YMMV. 🙂 

coolthaihouse. com has hours of reading on local builds by expats - just about everything you need to know - plus some, there is nonsense stuff there - but that normal for these types of forum. 

Thanks all, good advice all round.

By the way the ceilings will be either 3.5 or 4 metres,  need high ceilings here no doubt.

Craighj

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

coolthaihouse. com has hours of reading on local builds by expats - just about everything you need to know - plus some, there is nonsense stuff there - but that normal for these types of forum. 

The signal to noise ratio there is, in general, far far better.

The only area that is a little less good is electrical.

• Like 1