BANGKOK
craighj

House building questions

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, carlyai said:

There was a good reason all the older houses in Australian roof's were made of red tiles. 

There are good reasons why zinc/aluminium alloy-coated mild steel is one of the most used roofing materials in Australia today.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are good reasons why zinc/aluminium alloy-coated mild steel is one of the most used roofing materials in Australia today.

I agree 100% , this roof material is by far better then cement/clay tiles . Available in any length ( upto 11 m if im correct , but might depend on the shop , since they form it from a roll in the workshop ) , many colors , thickness , style , extremely lightweight ( saves money on roof steel ) , cools down very fast at night , absolutely water/wind /weather-proof . I got it on my roof for now 8-9y , absolutely faultless .

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes, too many contemporary people that don't appreciate the sophistication and pleasure a beautiful, old, rustic looking roof presents. How it blends in beautifully to the old world charm of up-country Thailand and K uchinari, gateway to Isaan. 

And the beneficial thermal mass is the envey of metal roof owners. 🙂  

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

There was a good reason all the older houses in Australian roof's were made of red tiles. 

not sure that was a good reason, other than that was all that was available. 😆

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yes, too many contemporary people that don't appreciate the sophistication and pleasure a beautiful, old, rustic looking roof presents. How it blends in beautifully to the old world charm of up-country Thailand and K uchinari, gateway to Isaan. 

And the beneficial thermal mass is the envey of metal roof owners. 🙂  

Thermal benefit , weight benefit , cost benefit , 100% leak free benefit .

I absolutely agree that some roof tiles look really yummy , but the downsides are way way worse then steel roof . If you plan on multimillion house and can find a good builder , ok go for the tiles , otherwise steel roof beats it 100% .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Artisi said:

not sure that was a good reason, other than that was all that was available. 😆

I did read (somewhere) that RED was the best roof colour.

And besides, it makes TR11's and 111's and Alpines go faster. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, Surelynot said:

Do seriously know what you are doing? If not....don't do it....rent.

C'mon,  did anyone of us know what we were doing ?  LOL

even now, i'm going to move to another area ( once again ! )

I know i should rent..................... but 

best advice i would give is keep it simple.   One can build a house for under a million,

but so many want that dream house     4 to 10 million baht    

later the nightmares

1 hour ago, sezze said:

I agree 100% , this roof material is by far better then cement/clay tiles . Available in any length ( upto 11 m if im correct , but might depend on the shop , since they form it from a roll in the workshop ) , many colors , thickness , style , extremely lightweight ( saves money on roof steel ) , cools down very fast at night , absolutely water/wind /weather-proof . I got it on my roof for now 8-9y , absolutely faultless .

You can get longer lengths as the forming tools can be mounted on a trailer, I know of an example in Bangkok where the lengths are about 22 metres, only that length because of the roof size.

You can go as long as you can handle if your roof is big enough to justify the cost of bringing in the forming tools.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

😁😁😁😁

Really, the only reason to go with a tile roof over metal is aesthetics. 

They do look ok and the flat ones look nice but that’s it. Appearances. 

Locals think that the tile roofs are “better” and metal roofs are “poor/cheap” but they don’t know what they are talking about. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carlyai said:

White more thermally efficient, you do need a black "go faster" stripe to attain 100% efficiency though! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

They do look ok and the flat ones look nice but that’s it. Appearances. 

Locals think that the tile roofs are “better” and metal roofs are “poor/cheap” but they don’t know what they are talking about. 

They are many times only known with the standard corrugated zink plated sheets which they fix on cheapest timber with a standard nail . Leaks for sure from day 1 and it starts to rust pretty fast . The new zink alu plated sheets covered with paint is not at all same material , as you fix it with self drilling screw with rubber underneath , giving the watertight seal .

Thai people also think more expensive is better , tiles are for expensive homes , while the steel roof they know is for cheap homes .

14 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

You can always get a tile effect metal roof for that 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You can always get a tile effect metal roof for that 

Gotta watch out though because there's alot of plastic/fiber ones that are junk. 

Really though, bluescope with the glued on thermal backing combined with fiberglass insulation above the ceiling and you're doing about 10,000 times better than 95% of the homes in Thailand, for a price that'll be about the same as having basic tile with nothing else. 

And funnily enough still not on par with how homes in my state are built to code for energy efficiency. 

Another step is to make yourself a thermally controlled attic ventilation fan that'll kick on above ambient temps outside and vent the roof/attic space. 

I made one for about 4k, worked flawlessly for 3 years until I sold the home. 

On 7/2/2020 at 9:16 AM, carlyai said:

actually mine was more than fast enough, engine TR4 spec'd, dual Weber's and good cam.