I tried to mail a letter to USA today via Thai Post

david2923

I tried to mail a letter today bound for USA. the letter has just 2 sheets of A4 paper in it.

the guy said they don't accept unless in a box or send EMS which could cost 800 baht. He said I can send as parcel< I asked him what is difference

what is going on here? Anyone know?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, david2923 said:

what is going on here? Anyone know?

Standard postal mail to many countries has been interrupted for quite a while (months).

The situation has gradually relaxed, but seems that USA is still not on the list of countries for standard airmail.

I try to find the latest thread...

• Like 2

this makes even more complex - making moreso the can't see trees for the forest

- there was a very recent major surge in passing of drugs in satchels in Letter size envelopes

Those parcel xrayers are going to be double busy

• Haha 1

One more time you didn't understand. There is not airmail AT ALL to the <deleted>SA since June 1st, letters or parcels.

only EMS is possible, and today the situation is still the same. Impossible to know why, as there are many planes to US everyday.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 4:20 PM, samtab said:

One more time you didn't understand. There is not airmail AT ALL to the <deleted>SA since June 1st, letters or parcels.

only EMS is possible, and today the situation is still the same. Impossible to know why, as there are many planes to US everyday.

I sent two envelopes to the US on June 9.

Neither of them has been delivered as of today (July 3).

Tracking indicates that they arrived in the US on June 22.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

I sent a small package to the US on 4th June by Airmail, its been sitting many days waiting to exit the USA Mail Center

• 16/06/2563 15:58International (United States)Arrival at inward office of exchange
  • 08/06/2563 13:36BANGKOK MAIL CENTERDeparture From Outward OE
  • 08/06/2563 13:19BANGKOK MAIL CENTERArrival at outward office of exchange
  • 06/06/2563 22:15UBON RATCHATHANI MAIL CENTERIn transit
  • 04/06/2563 20:43UBON RATCHATHANI MAIL CENTERIn transit
  • 04/06/2563 16:35WANAROMIn transit
  • 04/06/2563 09:28WANAROMPosting/Collection
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

What mailing method did you use for those?

13 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

Yes, exactly my situation.  Arrived at USPS Chicago Customs center on June 22 and both remain there.  Not even packages, just envelopes with documents in them.

I've got a parcel that I mailed from the US to Thailand in early June. USPS Priority International tracking says it arrived to Thailand June-18-19 and nothing after that. Thai Post tracking of the same tracking number says the package is still in the U.S.  Either way, a month has passed, and no delivery here in BKK.

5 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

EMS.  Cost about 850 baht per A4 envelope.

Yup, that's their standard rate for a basic envelope to the U.S..... has been for some time.... Almost as much as sending it by FedEx or DHL these days (but not quite)...

Charged 850 baht to send an envelope containing five A4 sheets to the UK. Sent home first to get my passport to prove my identity. The counter staff mumbled something about customs.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:51 AM, david2923 said:

What is the logic for this? 

This virus is extremely intelligent, rubbing it,s many legs together with glee at the prospect of a free trip on an envelope all over the world ???? I tried to send to New Zealand yesterday, as my virus wanted to go skiing in Queenstown, but alas denied ????

• Haha 1

Thailand Post offers Courier Post service in collaboration with DHL covering 40 countries. Delivery is said to be within a week's time but much more expensive than EMS. 

Edited by Srikcir
Change to week's
  • Haha 1

Similar here in Siem Reap when I went to the post office to inquire about sending a letter to the UK. I was told no "registered air mail" to the UK from Cambodia yet and was directed to the local DHL office.  On arrival, with my ONE A4 sheet of paper in an envelope, I was informed "no problem Sir". On checking the tariff DHL wanted 78 US$ (about 2,500 baht)!! I was gobsmacked and politely said I would wait until services were back to normal.

• Like 1

I had to post two sheets of documents in an envelope to Uk yesterday. Ordinary post around 100 baht no tracking, and was warned it may take quite some time to arrive. Went with ems for 800+....quite steep considering I just got a half kilo parcel from the EU, arrived in 5 days and the postage fee was around 350 baht.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Standard postal mail to many countries has been interrupted for quite a while (months).

The situation has gradually relaxed, but seems that USA is still not on the list of countries for standard airmail.

I try to find the latest thread...

Standard airmail to Europe has been back to normal since late May, early June. An envelope up to 25 gram cost about 24 baht. Just check out Thailand Post online. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, GuyFawkes said:

Similar situation for me.  To pieces of A4. Sent EMS to UK at cost 800 baht. Posted 23 June currently still somewhere between Thailand and UK.

Tracking shows being handled by Parcel force.

I tried to send a letter to the US by EMS on 28 May. Yes, I know that's much earlier than 23 June, but the lady was kind enough to tell me that it would go by boat. (I cancelled that idea). Maybe they're still going by boat to destinations outside Thailand. 

I am waiting on a 'letter' parcel from the US, which arrived at the Malaysia "Process Facility" on 23 June, Cleared customs on 24 June and departed from the "Transit Office of Exchange" on 25 June. That's the last entry in the tracking history. Maybe it's coming by a slow boat via China before it arrives in Thailand.  (BTW, before it went to Malaysia, it toured through a facility in Taipei. Item originally mail on 12 June. Mind you, it's just coming registered first class).

Who knows???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes US taxes due July 15. Down to the deadline. Gonna try to file online this year.

Started doing mine last year. It was really quite easy with Tax Slayer. I could use them without having to disguise my location.