I tried to mail a letter to USA today via Thai Post

david2923

12 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Started doing mine last year. It was really quite easy with Tax Slayer. I could use them without having to disguise my location.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it. Someone suggested Tax-Act. But I am for what ever works from over here. 

On 6/30/2020 at 5:51 PM, david2923 said:

What is the logic for this? 

The problem is with the receiving country, not where the letter originates. I've received air mail from the US because Thailand allows it to come in. But I still can't send an air mail to the US because the US does not accept it. Again, the issue is the country in question allowing air mail in, not Thailand being willing or not willing to ship the letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Standard airmail to Europe has been back to normal since late May, early June.

And faster than some shipments in the past.

Particularly German customs seems to have an easy time.

On the other hand, time from district office to Suvarnabhumi is exceptionally slow.

Normally next evening.

tracktrace.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

I sent two envelopes to the US on June 9.

Neither of them has been delivered as of today (July 3).

Tracking indicates that they arrived in the US on June 22.

No AIRMAIL letter or parcel sent to USA since June has left the country. Anybody saying something different is a liar or an idiot who doesn't understand what is happening. We are sending hundreds parcels to USA every month...

1 hour ago, mcl2504 said:

The problem is with the receiving country, not where the letter originates. I've received air mail from the US because Thailand allows it to come in. But I still can't send an air mail to the US because the US does not accept it. Again, the issue is the country in question allowing air mail in, not Thailand being willing or not willing to ship the letter.

No. It is not that the USA does not accept it. This is all Thailand Post. They will not accept it or send it. They need to make an arrangement with an airline to carry it to the USA, and they currently do not feel there is a passenger route with sufficient frequency and reliability to offer delivery to the USA at a price they are willing to pay.

So they will not accept normal airmail and SAL services. Only expensive EMS and Courier Post are on offer. Until international air traffic is restarted with lots of flights interconnecting to the USA, no mail will be accepted by Thailand Post for the USA. It is an absolute disaster right now. It costs 550 baht to send a postcard to the USA right now, and that is via 4 month delivery surface mail.

Contrast this with most countries in Europe where they have restarted normal airmail services and prices are reasonable. The USA, Australia and New Zealand are currently still turned off. I suspect Australia and New Zealand will restart shortly. No idea how long it will be before mail to the USA is back in service. But it isn't by choice of the USPS. It is Thailand Post who is in control.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

No AIRMAIL letter or parcel sent to USA since June has left the country. Anybody saying something different is a liar or an idiot who doesn't understand what is happening. We are sending hundreds parcels to USA every month...

I sent them EMS on June 9.

Tracking shows them to have arrived at the customs hub in Chicago on June 22.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monomial said:

No. It is not that the USA does not accept it. This is all Thailand Post. They will not accept it or send it. They need to make an arrangement with an airline to carry it to the USA, and they currently do not feel there is a passenger route with sufficient frequency and reliability to offer delivery to the USA at a price they are willing to pay.

So they will not accept normal airmail and SAL services. Only expensive EMS and Courier Post are on offer. Until international air traffic is restarted with lots of flights interconnecting to the USA, no mail will be accepted by Thailand Post for the USA. It is an absolute disaster right now. It costs 550 baht to send a postcard to the USA right now, and that is via 4 month delivery surface mail.

Contrast this with most countries in Europe where they have restarted normal airmail services and prices are reasonable. The USA, Australia and New Zealand are currently still turned off. I suspect Australia and New Zealand will restart shortly. No idea how long it will be before mail to the USA is back in service. But it isn't by choice of the USPS. It is Thailand Post who is in control.

Do you know if there is a service in USA that would accept few dozens parcels sent by EMS and then dispatch them in USA for a fee ?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it. Someone suggested Tax-Act. But I am for what ever works from over here. 

I use olt.com it's free for federal returns.

• Thanks 1

Here is the July 1, 2020 list of available international mail services (updates appear monthly):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view

Airmail letter service to the United States will not be restored until the C-19 virus is under control there as such mail is carried on passenger flights. 

Incoming service from Europe is very slow.  I received a registered letter from Belgium a couple days ago that was postmarked in Tournai on April 6, 2020.  Argus!

On 6/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, GuyFawkes said:

Similar situation for me.  To pieces of A4. Sent EMS to UK at cost 800 baht. Posted 23 June currently still somewhere between Thailand and UK.

Tracking shows being handled by Parcel force.

That’s strange as I sent an item to the U.K. just over two weeks ago in an envelope the size just below A4 weighed just under 50 gm cost about 45 baht standard airmail it arrived earlier this week

Sent a similar item on Thursday about the same weight similar cost.

15 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes US taxes due July 15. Down to the deadline. Gonna try to file online this year.

You can still file for an extension, the first of which is always allowed by IRS without question. But simply state that you need the extension because you are outside USA. 

I'm pretty sure you can file this simple form online too. 

No penalties unless you actually owe taxes. 

Even when living in the USA I did this for many years, every year. No problems at all. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Monomial said:

Thai post won’t accept mail to Australia but I had a parcel sent here from Sydney about a month ago the label said International EMS took about two weeks to arrive

The most important mail to USA for me will be my absentee Election Ballot for the upcoming presidential election. 

It's my understanding (please verify) that if it gets to Thailand it can be returned to the American embassy in Bangkok. 

I assume they have a guaranteed mail service from there back to USA. 

That's if Agent Orange doesn't order the immigration service to quarantine ballots from foreign countries to be quarantined until after the election. ????

I mailed 3 greeting cards from the US to Thailand over the past 3 months (April May and June) and NONE of them have arrived at the address in Thailand that I mailed them to.  I will try a package tomorrow which will be certified and insured so it can be tracked.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:48 PM, NewlyMintedThai said:

I sent two envelopes to the US on June 9.

Neither of them has been delivered as of today (July 3).

Tracking indicates that they arrived in the US on June 22.

The the good ol' reliable USPS for you!

I got my 1200 and tried to mail it to my bank in USA,

For two slips of papers (Total 1/2 size of A4 size) they wanted 950 baht in their box to send to the US Parcel Post Air

would DHL or Fedex a cheaper option?

So this is a Thai post problem?

You can use Dragon Courier. We collect for free in Bangkok. www.dragoncourier.com . USA delivery we actually use DHL for USA. I am the owner. If you wish to organize collection or a quote please call or WhatsApp Justin on 0659370812

Edited by Chatty2000

My EMS letter mailed in Chiang Rai June 12:

6/13/20 11:19 AM - Processed Through Facility, , , SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE (SMC), THAILAND

7/11/20 7:31 AM - Processed Through Facility, , , ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Standard postal mail to many countries has been interrupted for quite a while (months).

The situation has gradually relaxed, but seems that USA is still not on the list of countries for standard airmail.

I try to find the latest thread...

No issues for airmail coming in the other direction. Letter postmarked June 23 posted from California arrived at my house in Thailand July 10th.