Good-hearted police chip in to buy school uniforms for mother after they are nicked

webfact

Good-hearted police chip in to buy school uniforms for mother after they are nicked

By THE NATION

800_c86cd9eb04db6df.jpg?v=1593502469

A mother in Chon Buri province received new school uniforms from police after a thief made off with her child’s uniforms drying on a clothes line.

Just before schools and educational institutions across the nation were set to reopen tomorrow (July 1), six uniforms were stolen from a clothes line of an apartment in the province’s Bang Lamung district.

A complaint was lodged with police, and officers, instead of only searching for the thief, decided to take the humanitarian step of buying uniforms and stationary for the mother.

The grateful mother, Darin Arbsuwan, thanked the police for the good deed. She added that she was unemployed due to the Covid-19 crisis and couldn’t afford to purchase new uniforms for her child amid financial difficulties.

The uniform market in Thailand has found itself in a tight situation. In Chiang Mai, for example, shop owners have said the number of customers buying school uniforms was lower than usual.

One owner said sales have decreased by 20 per cent because of Covid-19, with parents deciding to suspend purchases and instead urging their children to make do with their elder brother’s or sister’s uniforms.

Another shop owner said the situation has led to a decrease in the number of items he could sell so far this year, although his online sales have increased.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390532

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-30

• Like 1

went with niece to buy uniforms, or should I say uniforms this week, with shoes came to over 3 thousand baht. It might help families if they did not have to have several uniforms and just stuck to one and sports outfits. I cannot see any reason they have the scout/ guide to parade around in one day a week, Joining the scouts should be voluntary. Then of course you have to pay to get the name etc embroidered onto all the shirts.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

well done RTP .....  it's pleasant to read the good news for a change instead of all the moaning.

Why not just suspend the uniforms just now for Prathom and Mattayom schools instead of treating

the students like little soldiers, of course maybe it is too late now for this semister, but someone should have thought of this before and given the parents a financial break.

Thailand is just far too militaristic, even an unelected ex soldier PM trying to run the country.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

went with niece to buy uniforms, or should I say uniforms this week, with shoes came to over 3 thousand baht. It might help families if they did not have to have several uniforms and just stuck to one and sports outfits. I cannot see any reason they have the scout/ guide to parade around in one day a week, Joining the scouts should be voluntary. Then of course you have to pay to get the name etc embroidered onto all the shirts.

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet I bought 3 white school shirts (990 baht after discount) and the embroidering was free, 3 black shorts (690 baht after discount) plus 2 pairs of black plimsolls (460 baht after discount) as my son is going up to M4 this year. 

Unfortunately M1 to M3 have brown shorts and shoes so I had to buy new uniforms and I am not sure what sports stuff he will need yet.