Insurance Cover for USD100,000 Stipulated for all Returning Foreigners

ASEAN NOW Sales

On 7/2/2020 at 8:22 PM, dallen52 said:

Ive advocated for a compulsory insurance coverage on all travellers for years.

Wipes off the unpaid farang hospital bills too.

35 million people a year at 1000 baht is 35 billion, or about 1 billion us dollars. 

Should pad out a few brown paper envelopes...

Regardless of the ''pad out a few envelopes" comment, IMHO in Thailand it would be a good idea to have some form of 'deposit' to cover medical bills for foreigners.

Should it just be tourists, or both tourists and all other foreigners in Thailand, it needs more discussion.

Just one point, there must be some foreigners many on 'retirement' visas and other visas and including quite elderly folks who are lucky enough to have good commercial health cover. Should they be forced to pay a yearly health deposit? 

Or should there be different health deposit rates by categories? Needs a lot more discussion and I hope further discussion does happen. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1

On 7/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, 4737 Carlin said:

I have money in the bank to pay medical bills - if ever required.

Health insurance is not t protect your health...it's to protect your lifetime of savings

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 7:36 AM, phetphet said:

Where did you read that? Can you provide a link please?

TIA

I am pretty sure it was Thai Visa the same day If I come across it again I will cut and paste for you

I will not give them 3000 dollars on entry until they tell me if and when they will return my cash.

I WILL GO HOB NOB WITH THE CARTEL DOWN IN MEXICO FIRST !! NO CASH UP FRONT!!!!!

IF YOU THINK U WILL GET TOURIST BACK THAT WAY THEN ELEPHANTS FLY !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 4:35 PM, Voltaren said:

I will not give them 3000 dollars on entry until they tell me if and when they will return my cash.

I WILL GO HOB NOB WITH THE CARTEL DOWN IN MEXICO FIRST !! NO CASH UP FRONT!!!!!

IF YOU THINK U WILL GET TOURIST BACK THAT WAY THEN ELEPHANTS FLY !!!!!

OK... buh-bye...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So let me see, the air fares are much higher to travel now. Thailand will have a 

14 day mandatory quarantine [maybe those jail cells will be cheaper]. And than

there is the insurance,which is a big win for the insurance companies. It really

makes you want to come here for a holiday. Or maybe I will just stay at home.

• Like 1

Seriuosly   why would anybody  want to  come to Thaliand  after the   news  and  developments  in the   past  year

Sorry   I  love your people   but  the  Gov  is  as hardline  as communist  China  maybe  worse

The world  know this  now  with so many beautiful  friendly  places  to visit  in the  world   when this virus is  over ...Why Thailand

The truth is  it will be full to the  brim  with  Chinese   and like it or  not  the world  see Chinese  as the  start to  this Pandemic  

Even those  not or never been racist  know  are racist towards  China  ... This  alone  will deter  many tourists 

In my  country  alone  99%   of  holidays to China  have  been  cancelled  ( Even if  could be put on  hold until after  safe to travel)

Good luck Thailand  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am here on marriage extension, over 75, three lots of cancer, and uninsurable, and in the last ten yrs here paid all my own medical costs

So it would appear must never leave the country

These rules could force effective divorce, against the wishes of both parties

SUGGEST THIS ALL CONTRAVENES NORMAL HUMAN RIGHTS

So this is Thailand

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:42 AM, Lacessit said:

If you are over 75, can't even get it. 133,000 baht in the 71 - 75 age group, they are dreaming.

Why do you think this is excessive? I do insurance for my mother every year for 2 weeks in Spain from the UK it works out about 5000/6000bt

If it covers all eventualities  it seems quite reasonable to me, or am i missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:01 PM, male expat said:

A good idea from the insurance lobby

Male expat

You have the precisely correct.  If Thailand was worried about foreigners entering hospitals and not paying bills they could easily add something like 100 to 1000 baht fee per foreigner coming in.  Assuming you have thousands to millions of tourist the fund to cover the expenses would be huge. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, brucegoniners said:

Everyone here should be required to have health insurance anyway. The country shouldn't be responsible for foreigners who can't pay their medical bills.

As a foreigner I strongly believe that.

And as a foreigner, having paid for my 2015 heart  attack at Chiang Mai RAM, but unable to get health insurance due to cost and having ore-existing conditions, I will point out that cookie cutter solutions do not work for all

• Like 1

I will be 70 next month, married to a Thai for 27 years and this insurance requirement will cost me a minimum of 86,170 THB ($2730) for a coverage of only $100,000.  I have no choice but I will have to leave Thailand and go retire in Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam unless the Thai government accept that I have more than $100,000 in my Thai bank account and I have enough to cover a medical expenses of $100,000.  How many old expats now live in Pattaya?  As well tell them that retirement in Thailand is no longer affordable and no longer possible.  This is only a bonanza for the insurance lobby...

As an alternative, why not ask all foreigners entering Thailand a medical tax of 100 THB to be invest in a health care Fund for foreigners who might default on their medical expenses?

image.png.1f6ee54af3071412cd8676cdcaf435b5.png

Edited by yimlitnoy

Raises several questions for me:

1. So  even if an international policy covers Covid19, the Thai govt will not accept it? and there is no option but to get a Thai policy?

2. Wonder if Chinese and ASEAN nations also fall in this category and have to buy similar policies?

From a policy perspective, imagine if each country in Asia (Vietnam, the Phillipines, Malaysia) insisted on their own medical coverage for covid at similar premiums...? or will they offer a less expensive one and also accept international medical policies issued outside the land of smiles??

This sentence in the Thai Gazette caught my eye....

"After this period expires, immigration officers will have the power to permit the visitor to renew his/her visa twice, each for another 90 days. Foreigners must submit an application and pay a fee in accordance with the rules."

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395428?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

So, in English, it means that there isnt a govt rule; rather it up to the bureaucrat......great way for them to make money.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:51 AM, scorecard said:

Thanks, I just tried to find it, but no success. Can you please share more contact details; specific website, e.mail address of SCB staff involved, or whatever. Thank you.

Below is a link to SCB Covid insurance and a screen shot of the benefits.   Now my understanding, for 850 baht, they cover up to 100,000 of hospital stay or other medical expenses.  However, they pay out 1,000,000 to you if you are diagnosed (after the 14 day waiting period from when you purchased the policy) with Covid.   

So if they're paying you 1,000,000, seems the person would have the funds to pay the hospital, since obviously 100,000 isn't going to do much.  

As others have noted, this only applies to farangs who are essentially living in Thailand......you need 6 months residency or work permit to qualify.   But it covers up to 99 years old.   So why wouldn't this suffice for the 1,000,000 requirement?   I think even the less wealthy farang could pay 850 a year.

https://www.scb.co.th/th/personal-banking/insurance/covid19/dhipaya.html

image.png.36dd19a2ec8a1c129ef896cca2df991c.png