BANGKOK
ThaivisaSales

Insurance Cover for USD100,000 Stipulated for all Returning Foreigners

Posted (edited)

I'm so grateful to be a healthy and fit 69 year old. If I was obese with health issues I'd be totally on it planning to switch my retirement and take my Thai wife to elsewhere, even though she is government retiree and I get medical "benefits" as her husband. Maybe go for Columbia, which which I hear welcomes retirees, and has government health care that is available, affordable (relatively cheap), and not too shabby.

Edited by SometimezaGreatNotion
small edit

As always, confusion reigns, but we are waiting for an official communication to be communicated as I want to believe that this new rules applies only to tourists and not to residents, so the tourist tax will vary on holidays in Thailand, it certainly will not be any aided for tourism even if it is about paying $ 30

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

As always, confusion reigns, but we are waiting for an official communication to be communicated as I want to believe that this new rules applies only to tourists and not to residents, so the tourist tax will vary on holidays in Thailand, it certainly will not be any aided for tourism even if it is about paying $ 30

Many of us long stayers consider or naming (thinking ) themselves residents …. wich by Th.immigration law  we are NOT....,  ,just extended tourists on retirement base , exception for the low number of those with the real resident status , which only a certain number can apply for on certain conditions by year...

Even the Elite visa holders are standard no residents (except in case if applying for the limited  resident status  one )

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sapson said:

To clarify this policy for age 61 to 65 will provide inpatient cover up to 100,000 USD aprox 3 million baht and just 40 k outpatients for one year for all medical conditions, operations, routine, emergencies and accidents etc.

This is without any copay I presume? will Pacific cross pay directly to the major hospitals here as in flash the card in the wallet and it gets sorted?

You get a card, and they have a direct payment plan with many Bangkok hospitals.  One problem, is they take a week to issue the certificate locally, but you might not need to show the original at BKK, but I needed it for OA extension.  The 72 hour thing is problematic, too, as it takes many of us 30 hours+ to get here.  

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

Not only that, Thai medical is Suppose to be a lot cheaper then the West. 

Why is it that the premiums are at a Rip off High.

Why doesn't the Thai Government set up an affordable premium Insurance for Expats an Long stay people. 

Things  could be so easy ,But No Just a Rip off Scam by the Big Insurance Companies. 

It's a joke, 3 million Baht cover! 

Even if you were unlucky enough to be diagnosed with Covid19 while in Thailand which is unlikely given the testing it would require at the very most (on average) a 3 week stay in hospital. I would be surprised if that would come to 200,000 baht.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Is this another case like for retirement visa extensions, that only Thai policies and not international policies are acceptable?

I thought that international policies were acceptable as long as they covered $100k

5 hours ago, generealty said:

Well I just checked 3 insurance brokers online and the cost is 64,000 baht. As I have pre-existing conditions I was rejected last year so think I will be again. So if I fly out to UK for holiday or anything else or job interview in any country, I will not be allowed back in. So the writing is on the wall for me and many others. I wonder who will take care of my Thai family, extended and all ? I think its time to pack up and return home, as I just cannot afford to stay here any longer.

I think I will be/am in the same boat. I am in the 70 - 75 yrs old bracket and like most people that age, I have pre existing conditions i.e. hypertension and high cholesterol which is controlled successfully by medication. I was planning to go to the UK for business purposes/medical check up/treatment later in the year, but will now not be going  because of the "compulsory insurance for returning foreigners" scam stipulation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blackcab said:

The vast majority of work permit holders are citizens of Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar who work in low income jobs such as construction. I wonder how they will be able to afford a policy such as this?

unless they want construction to stop this will be waived for them, besides they don't hang out in tourist locales, they're infections would probably be limited to their work camps like it was in Singapore..

18 minutes ago, david555 said:

Many of us long stayers consider or naming (thinking ) themselves residents …. wich by Th.immigration law  we are NOT....,  ,just extended tourists on retirement base , exception for the low number of those with the real resident status , which only a certain number can apply for on certain conditions by year...

Even the Elite visa holders are standard no residents (except in case if applying for the limited  resident status  one )

Sorry I disagree with you, I came to Thailand 4 months and Tourist Visa was clearly specified on my passport, then like all us "O" is indicated Non Immigration Visa and not Tourist Visa, take a look your passport.

Posted (edited)

This is nothing new. Its been part of the requitements to get a Certificate of Entry for returning Foreigners ever since they announced that the Spouse of a Thai national would be allowed back last week. It was posted by ThaiVisa Sales so basically its an advert.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Sorry I disagree with you, I came to Thailand 4 months and Tourist Visa was clearly specified on my passport, then like all us "O" is indicated Non Immigration Visa and not Tourist Visa, take a look your passport.

SO....? makes this you a resident ? O.K. I rephrase  : In practice we are no residents but ret.ext. holders based on "example" pension or called retirees , but we could started this status in several ways by starting even from exempt > tourist>to non o ….but immigration do not see us as residents ….

My home country see me as emigrated to Thailand ...while Thailand see me only as a temporary 1 year stay tourist or whatever you like call your self in different naming status 

I can understand many see /feel their years stay over here  as "Home in Thailand " , but it is "a temporary home" as long you can for fill the rules made by Immigration , you could use the resident application  to be a little bit more , but only Thai nationality application could give you full resident status  

Edited by david555

18 hours ago, Boit said:

peterwa1 is spot on - this will encourage more visitors and for them to stay healthy. 

Post of the year - brilliantly perspicacious analysis.

This approach to what has been said by many professionals is a scam pandemic. Will stop fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters from seeing their children or syblings due to the extreme costs of health insurance. This will push ex pats out of Thailand. Chinese, Japanese, Singuaporian and Farang. This will also say goodbue to the good old days of millions of tourists in Thailand. Of course, Thailand must be so rich to afford such luxuries. Maybe those at the top of the food chain in government should eat off a street stall once in a while and talk to the ordinary people. Anyone know a foodstall where Anutin and Prayut frequently hang out for a tase of real Thailand. I sincerely doubt it. With their uneducated closed minds they will destroy the country and the peoples lives to boot. Boot being the operative word as that is what the government are giving families and tourists. No worry, countries like Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos will not impose such draconian and unnecessary rules and flourish in the process.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, peterwa1 said:

Why not require as Cambodia is   DEPOSIT 3000$ on entry to cover Covid costs   recoverable on departure

Because by the time your 2 week holiday is over the $3000 will have already been split between various brown envelopes.

• Thanks 1