Insurance Cover for USD100,000 Stipulated for all Returning Foreigners

ASEAN NOW Sales

On 7/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, scorecard said:

"Due to the company's current travel insurance To protect only when traveling from Thailand to travel abroad and returning to Thailand only."

Did you actually speak to anybody at Siam Commercial Bank, or would you please share the full SCB web address which provides the Capture you forwarded.

address below.  Not sure I get their response, but appears to allude to Thailand residents.   Doesn't seem to answer our questions.

https://www.scb.co.th/th/personal-banking/insurance/covid19/dhipaya.html

7 hours ago, madisongy said:

Below is a link to SCB Covid insurance and a screen shot of the benefits.   Now my understanding, for 850 baht, they cover up to 100,000 of hospital stay or other medical expenses.  However, they pay out 1,000,000 to you if you are diagnosed (after the 14 day waiting period from when you purchased the policy) with Covid.   

So if they're paying you 1,000,000, seems the person would have the funds to pay the hospital, since obviously 100,000 isn't going to do much.  

As others have noted, this only applies to farangs who are essentially living in Thailand......you need 6 months residency or work permit to qualify.   But it covers up to 99 years old.   So why wouldn't this suffice for the 1,000,000 requirement?   I think even the less wealthy farang could pay 850 a year.

https://www.scb.co.th/th/personal-banking/insurance/covid19/dhipaya.html

image.png.36dd19a2ec8a1c129ef896cca2df991c.png

That Thai Covid-19 insurance does NOT meet the minimum coverage of 100,000 US $ that is required when now entering Thailand from abroad.

Check out this site for flexible and quite affordable 100K US $ compliant covid-19 insurance

> https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/

Only 40 US $ / month and 200K US $ with low deductible for coivd-19 coverage.

12 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

I will be 70 next month, married to a Thai for 27 years and this insurance requirement will cost me a minimum of 86,170 THB ($2730) for a coverage of only $100,000.  I have no choice but I will have to leave Thailand and go retire in Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam unless the Thai government accept that I have more than $100,000 in my Thai bank account and I have enough to cover a medical expenses of $100,000.  How many old expats now live in Pattaya?  As well tell them that retirement in Thailand is no longer affordable and no longer possible.  This is only a bonanza for the insurance lobby...

As an alternative, why not ask all foreigners entering Thailand a medical tax of 100 THB to be invest in a health care Fund for foreigners who might default on their medical expenses?

image.png.1f6ee54af3071412cd8676cdcaf435b5.png

Check out this site for flexible and quite affordable 100K US $ compliant covid-19 insurance

> https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/

Only 40 US $ / month and 200K US $ with low deductible for coivd-19 coverage.

13 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Male expat

You have the precisely correct.  If Thailand was worried about foreigners entering hospitals and not paying bills they could easily add something like 100 to 1000 baht fee per foreigner coming in.  Assuming you have thousands to millions of tourist the fund to cover the expenses would be huge. 

Or they could require individual tourists to have adequate medical insurance. Is it correct to make those who have insurance pay a further surcharge or tax for those who do not..... it would give incentive for people not to take out insurance. 

I've seen considerable discussion about the allowance of foreign insurance polices to meet the long term visa requirements.   The Thai Embassy site in Washington (link below) leads one to believe that foreign insurance polices are allowed where insurance is required for visas.  I have Aetna Worldwide, which includes Thailand, and covers considerably higher levels than what's required for visas.

Wondering if anyone has any further info on why this is such a contentious subject with it documented in this fashion.  (Challenged to getting insurance companies to complete the Overseas Insurance Certificate or other issues?)

Thx.

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

22 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I've seen considerable discussion about the allowance of foreign insurance polices to meet the long term visa requirements.   The Thai Embassy site in Washington (link below) leads one to believe that foreign insurance polices are allowed where insurance is required for visas.  I have Aetna Worldwide, which includes Thailand, and covers considerably higher levels than what's required for visas.

Wondering if anyone has any further info on why this is such a contentious subject with it documented in this fashion.  (Challenged to getting insurance companies to complete the Overseas Insurance Certificate or other issues?)

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country you have 2 options to meet the health-insurance requirement:

- Your foreign/international insurer filling in the Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that the policy you have with them covers you in Thailand and meets the coverage amount;

- You subscribing to a Thai IO-approved policy offered by one of the TGIA-associated insurers.

Once you are in Thailand and want to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, only the 2nd option is accepted by IO.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet that Thai IO-approved health-insurnance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.  It's not difficult (if you know how).