Insurance Cover for USD100,000 Stipulated for all Returning Foreigners

ASEAN NOW Sales

42 minutes ago, sambum said:

"I would be surprised if that would come to 200,000 baht."

At some of the hospitals here I would be surprised if it DIDN"T!

Yes it very much depends on the hospital. A highend private hospital in a City will be very expensive but still nowhere near a million baht, let alone 3m. "Normal" hospitals would be no more than 4 to 10k a day.  

2 hours ago, david555 said:

SO....? makes this you a resident ? O.K. I rephrase  : In practice we are no residents but ret.ext. holders based on "example" pension or called retirees , but we could started this status in several ways by starting even from exempt > tourist>to non o ….but immigration do not see us as residents ….

My home country see me as emigrated to Thailand ...while Thailand see me only as a temporary 1 year stay tourist or whatever you like call your self in different naming status 

I can understand many see /feel their years stay over here  as "Home in Thailand " , but it is "a temporary home" as long you can for fill the rules made by Immigration , you could use the resident application  to be a little bit more , but only Thai nationality application could give you full resident status  

Residence and nationality are two different things in each country, residence is always lower than the nationality so for less rights, now that it's called NON IMMIGRATION it only means that we are not immigrants with right to work but we are put on another level that it seems to me, both for residents, we now know well that we are not considered tourists as you say, if we have to declare our residence to our respective governments, we always indicate Thailand, it is only a question of semantics for Thai terminology. but if you always want to consider yourself a tourist in Thailand you are free to think so.

Edited by ICELANDMAN

It is different and contradictory in every country, and depends on your citizenship.  We are not residents of LOS, but may be required to get a certificate of residency.  We get an official Thai ID card, that states on it:. "for foreigner.". My Japanese insurance company considers me to be a resident of USA, but haven't spent more than three weeks there per year, in years.  Then there are federal, state, and local taxes..all with their own tests to determine how you are taxed.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Residence and nationality are two different things in each country, residence is always lower than the nationality so for less rights, now that it's called NON IMMIGRATION it only means that we are not immigrants but we are put on another level that it seems to me, both for residents,we now know well that we are not considered tourists as you say, if we have to declare our residence to our respective governments, we always indicate Thailand it is only a question of semantics for Thai terminology. but if you always want to consider yourself a tourist in Thailand you are free to think so.

"we now know well that we are not considered tourists as you say, if we have to declare our residence to our respective governments, we always indicate Thailand,"

What is not of any concern for Thai government (the opinion from a foreign country in their own Thailand …) to see us as residents, residents is their decision after application for that status .

But I understand how you feel about that , many would like to see example the yearly ext. considered as resident.... especially in this Thai Country lockdown , it would also  allow me to travel while now I cancelled my May / June travel to Europe , as I knew I would not be able for a long time to be allowed back in .

8 hours ago, tonray said:

This is of course for the duration of the global Covid-19 pandemic...which BTW much of the world is still fighting and in some cases losing badly. I expect cross border travel for the next 2 years to be essentially impossible so batten down the hatches and bunker in to Thailand. There are not many countries who offer travel without restrictions now anyway, it's not like Thailand is the only one. As a responsible person, I have 2 mil of Aetna coverage, in addition, when I go to extend my OA visa in October I need to add the special throwaway policy for OA holders, if I intend to travel across borders and return , I would need to add a third policy for Covid-19 100K US coverage. The entire system begs for a foreigner insurance fee, maybe 2000 baht (US  $70) baht for every tourist who comes in for 60 days or less and in addition another 2000 baht monthly for long stay Visa holders. The pool of funds then likely would be large enough to cover health care for both tourist incidents and long stayers. The system now is absurdly piecemeal and will fail soon enough. But we can expect some pain in the interim until it gets fixed. Domestic travel for the next 2 years...until at some ASEAN meeting the Thai officials get slapped down by the economic block for restraining travel and trade.

Ive advocated for a compulsory insurance coverage on all travellers for years.

Wipes off the unpaid farang hospital bills too.

35 million people a year at 1000 baht is 35 billion, or about 1 billion us dollars. 

Should pad out a few brown paper envelopes...

6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Ive advocated for a compulsory insurance coverage on all travellers for years.

Wipes off the unpaid farang hospital bills too.

35 million people a year at 1000 baht is 35 billion, or about 1 billion us dollars. 

Should pad out a few brown paper envelopes...

"Should pad out a few brown paper envelopes..."

A few …? those people are used to big … not a few for those in  white & decorated uniform ones don't offend them with " a few " …. as already some like even  many watches 55555 !

Edited by david555

57 minutes ago, sambum said:

It's a joke, 3 million Baht cover! 

Even if you were unlucky enough to be diagnosed with Covid19 while in Thailand which is unlikely given the testing it would require at the very most (on average) a 3 week stay in hospital. I would be surprised if that would come to 200,000 baht.

Im looking at insurance now and thinking about harsh realities of health care in Thailand.

If you were taken very ill and shipped off to a private hospital without choice as a farang then I know a hospital like the nationwide Bangkok Hospital group is circa 70k a night for ICU ..... so if two weeks in Icu for any reason thats circa 1 million baht,a worrying thought.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

"we now know well that we are not considered tourists as you say, if we have to declare our residence to our respective governments, we always indicate Thailand,"

What is not of any concern for Thai government (the opinion from a foreign country in their own Thailand …) to see us as residents, residents is their decision after application for that status .

But I understand how you feel about that , many would like to see example the yearly ext. considered as resident.... especially in this Thai Country lockdown , it would also  allow me to travel while now I cancelled my May / June travel to Europe , as I knew I would not be able for a long time to be allowed back in .

I also cancelled my trip to Europe and it seems to me that until things get clearer and better not to leave Thailand before this C19 does not end, it is a great risk of not being able to not return because the rules change every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin even know if a policy with a covid inclusion is even available anymore? Many policies have a pandemic exclusion clause.

How about returning as a couple, with my Thai wife? Does she need the same insurance policy?

And does he even know if there is still a threat of quarantine, even with these requirements being filled?

And does he know if a letter stating you passed a covid test is sufficient? Has anyone ever even defined what a "Fit to fly health certificate" is, and if it is available anywhere in the world?

It seems that there is so much neither Taweesin or the administration does NOT KNOW. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I also cancelled my trip to Europe and it seems to me that until things get clearer and better not to leave Thailand before this C19 does not end, it is a great risk of not being able to not return because the rules change every day.

Imagine to travel with good news we would allowed back in , mean time things change concerning contagion ...and rules change in the example 1 month  stay out Thailand …...

We should have to follow very accurate Thai news  to anticipate and run to the airport in case high early return needed , because changed rules ….not a nice and relaxed foresight for a travelling 

• Like 1

I read the first 3 or 4 pages of comments, but most seem off track. Surely this requirements can be covered by normal travel insurance (just make sure the coverage exceeds the limit and it covers Covid). If the visit is short, then the travel insurance just covers the period of travel.

If a returning expat/resident will be stating indefinitely, then the travel insurance will cover the first 3 months or so. There is no requirement about the length/duration of the travel insurance (unless morons from TV make it an issue).

After 3 months, the Covid crisis may be over or the expat can use whatever insurance or method they used previously (for example, I use my Thai wife's government insurance)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, katatonic said:

Yes, and what about flight delays? They could end up refusing a whole flight if all the passengers' certificates are pushed past 72 hours since issue ! Unless the deadline ends upon boarding the first flight of the journey, which is likely to be dependant on how the relevant official feels probably. There's going to be all sorts of palaver.

Not to mention being 1000 times more likely to get it once you set off on your journey, than you are spending a few weeks with immediate family in the countryside.

22 minutes ago, CrossBones said:

It would be good if some company offered insurance ONLY for covid with 100k coverage for people of any age.

That would be cheaper than full insurance right

See my post #191

But @moontang commented in his post #202 that it is a pay and claim policy, and might therefore not be accepted by thai authorities.

3 hours ago, Patts said:

It's a joke, 3 million Baht cover! 

Even if you were unlucky enough to be diagnosed with Covid19 while in Thailand which is unlikely given the testing it would require at the very most (on average) a 3 week stay in hospital. I would be surprised if that would come to 200,000 baht.

Yep, I don't know what they are on But it must be Bad Meds to come up with something Absolutely Insane like that .This is driving the Tourist away(not coming) from Los 

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

See my post #191

But @moontang commented in his post #202 that it is a pay and claim policy, and might therefore not be accepted by thai authorities.

Question is also for how long you need the insurance to have ?…. just to come in ? ..not  I guess ,... or the time staying …? For 1 year I checked full cover as asked in USD. ….and for that I can sure ship a container by sea when leaving in 2022 (unless urgently needed early date )...so choice for me is made , a much  better investment for that Thai baht by me .

Of course my case as a definite future leaver of Thailand is different than the majority here  

6 hours ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

It is  really  sad  but all I read about this virus  and Thailands  responses  I think it will be a long time until normal travel  does  continue.

I have a wife in  Thaialnd but  sadly  the hoops that  the Gov  through up  are very hard to jump through.

I will gamble on a  vacine  and bide  my time .

Never  made a post before   but will say   the Gov rules  I try to understand  however feel  they will  lose more than they will gain for tourism

I feel  for the poor people of Thailand  ..Good luck  all   

From what I have seen  in my visits   the rich  will  not be affected  and as it seems most  Gov ministers  are  very  rich  

So do they really   care ??????

Terminator3AB, I share your pain and frustration. I last saw my thai partner December last year and I do not envisage getting a flight for another 2/3 months. Brits are not at the front of the queue.

21 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

a returning expat/resident will be stating indefinitely, then the travel insurance will cover the first 3 months or so. There is no requirement about the length/duration of the travel insurance (unless morons from TV make it an issue).

If I read it right a ticket out is also required with the insurance in force for the length of the stay. I believe you could get a refundable ticket set for after your extension date and then cancel both the ticket and the insurance.

• Like 1

I forwarded this news to my insurance broker and asked him if my health insurance policy with ACS would cover this as I renewed in February, just before the COVID outbreak really took off.

He replied that it did cover it and that if I wanted, he would ask them to provide me with an updated policy to show it.

7 hours ago, johnarth said:

I was an AA member up till I was 75 for accident cover only after that was told to old so how are you going to get cover? I think the government should come up with a plan to cover us oldies as the insurance companies will not, as for a certain lady probably not have a job now, have been told if you have insurance from age 65 through to 70 it is an unknown law that if you want to carry on with your cover the insurance company has to comply, I got 5 years accident cover only, but better than nothing I guess, like I have now, so come on government get a insurance plan going for us oldies, but I think they are using this gimmick as a way of stopping older people from coming to Thailand

Johnarth, at 69 myself I don'nt think the government have a problem with an age group but it's just about restricting arrivals by imposing impossible requirements..

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

I forwarded this news to my insurance broker and asked him if my health insurance policy with ACS would cover this as I renewed in February, just before the COVID outbreak really took off.

He replied that it did cover it and that if I wanted, he would ask them to provide me with an updated policy to show it.

hot question is will it cover the 100 000 USD. as requested for allowed entry Thailand 

1 minute ago, smudger1951 said:

Johnarth, at 69 myself I don'nt think the government have a problem with an age group but it's just about restricting arrivals by imposing impossible requirements..

Which those are the most easy group to eliminate from entering by those impossible requirements …..especially because insurance company's habits for that age group

22 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I was just quoted 4000 baht (still good!) for a 3 month trip (travel insurance) and 4M baht of coverage by them. Its CHUBB insurance btw so probably cheaper to go direct to them. Not sure of policy details though.

Got a link to that? I tried a search, but nothing looked like health insurance. PM if you want.

7 hours ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

It is  really  sad  but all I read about this virus  and Thailands  responses  I think it will be a long time until normal travel  does  continue.

I have a wife in  Thaialnd but  sadly  the hoops that  the Gov  through up  are very hard to jump through.

I will gamble on a  vacine  and bide  my time .

There is a process in place whereby you can get back to your family - it does involve jumping through a few hoops though (its the 2 week quarantine part I really don’t like the idea of !) - the key issue is actually getting the approval from the MFA via the local Thai Embassy within a timely manner. 

Key requirements are a Marriage Certificate and Insurance.

E-mail the following to your Embassy. 

1.  E-mail / Letter stipulating reason for return
  2.  Scanned copy of Passport and Visa Page (easy)
  3.  Proof of Marriage to Thai wife – Marriage Certificate (easy if you have one)
  4.  Health Insurance covering Covid19 at least 100,000 us dollars (many companies offer this: ie. AprilMyHealth)
  5.  Declaration form of consent to be quarantined for 14 days (declaration form can be found on Embassy Websites)
  6.  Flight Booking (there are flights. i.e. Qatar from the UK)
  7.  Alternative State Booking (easily booked after contacting the relevant hotel)

The Covid-19 tests and certification need to be submitted to the Embassy after notification that you have been cleared to travel to Thailand (i.e. Notified that you have a Certificate of Entry) tests taken within 72 hrs before your flight - once the Tests have been received and verified you will receive the Certificate of Entry.

1. Covid test Results (certificate)
  2. Fit to Fly Certificate (outlining no covid-19 symptoms)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Question is also for how long you need the insurance to have ?…. just to come in ? ..not  I guess ,... or the time staying …? For 1 year I checked full cover as asked in USD. ….and for that I can sure ship a container by sea when leaving in 2022 (unless urgently needed early date )...so choice for me is made , a much  better investment for that Thai baht by me .

Of course my case as a definite future leaver of Thailand is different than the majority here  

Yes, it's not clear for how long you would need to have that covid-19 insurance when entering Thailand.  But it would be ludicrous to require a full one year policy, although nothing surprises me anymore.

One poster mentioned that you also needed a return-flight ticket when entering Thailand under the present covid situation, so it could be that your policy should cover the period till your flight out. 

In that case it would be easy-peasy to buy a throw-away ticket or a fully refundable ticket for a flight out departing 1 month after arrival, and simply cancel that flight.  And covid-19 insurance thus only for 1 month.

• Like 1