Govt offers July 27 as first compensation for Songkran

webfact

Govt offers July 27 as first compensation for Songkran

By The Nation

800_6034e79b83ec54b.jpg?v=1593505655

This year’s Songkran holidays will be tied in with His Majesty’s birthday, government spokesperson Narumon Pinyosinwat announced on Monday (June 29).

The holidays will run from July 25 to July 28 (the King’s birthday), with Monday, July 27 marked as the first compensatory holiday for Songkran, which had been cancelled earlier this year due to the pandemic. Decision on compensation for the other two days of the three-day festival is still pending.

The Cabinet has been postponing making a decision on new dates for Songkran holidays in line with measures to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390541

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-30

• Haha 1

I think there is/was a near zero chance of the Songkran holiday days being simply taken away... that wasn't going to happen.. those days have to be "paid back" somehow..   Sure, the intention of those days won't be the same since Songkran is a consecutive holiday and now moving to a 1-1-1 format greatly diminishes their value -- but again, to me, its all about "pay back" after those days were taken away earlier.

True, 3 days out of an average 260 "work" days isn't massive -- barely over 1.1% -- i think its more about giving back what is seen a being taken away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Thailand said:

Why is it even necessary? It is in the past.

It gives back to some sectors lost holiday entitlement, also gives the opportunity for people to have a break, go out & spend some much needed revenue for the government.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thailand said:

Why is it even necessary? It is in the past.

..time to get back to ancient traditions..sprinkling a few sacred drops on the shoulder of the khun Yais.

Less likely to kill yourself and others trying to get back to your village in record time.

• Like 2

No money no honey...Bkk is buzzling and busy...thailand may realize they are self sustainable ???????????? with fewer tourists ???????????? don’t let the Thais travel so they can spent the money at home 

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I think there is/was a near zero chance of the Songkran holiday days being simply taken away... that wasn't going to happen.. those days have to be "paid back" somehow..   Sure, the intention of those days won't be the same since Songkran is a consecutive holiday and now moving to a 1-1-1 format greatly diminishes their value -- but again, to me, its all about "pay back" after those days were taken away earlier.

True, 3 days out of an average 260 "work" days isn't massive -- barely over 1.1% -- i think its more about giving back what is seen a being taken away.

Taken away due to. Pandemic! Which is far from over here or elsewhere. Yes... the holiday in question has a significance... however if you believe the numbers reported by this government you must also believe in the their concern in a resurgence. Paying back for lost time... is at present dangerous and ill advised in not only my opinion but also in the eyes of the CDC and the WHO as well as the doctors here at my 3 hospitals.

Great, that's all companies and people need after just getting back to work - more flaming holiday.

My kid started school today, and now they are shutting the school immediately again for holidays this week, she goes back and they are shutting it again for another holiday.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toenail said:

Exactly- why waste water??? Have a huge celebration next April. 

The 3 upcoming holidays are a compensation for the 3 Songkran holidays that were postponed. There won't be any new year celebrations incl. water splashing because of the Emergency decree. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Great, that's all companies and people need after just getting back to work - more flaming holiday.

My kid started school today, and now they are shutting the school immediately again for holidays this week, she goes back and they are shutting it again for another holiday.

"For another holiday"? The holiday is a religious one and they have just added 1 extra day, the 7:th. 

Edited by Max69xl

17 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

There will not be any water-tossing. Not until next April, at the soonest.

This news is about giving days off to (mostly government) employees in compensation for holidays that were originally scheduled for Songkran, i.e. April 13, 14, and 15.

Oh, so April 13, 14 and 15 last, those days they were not free?

They were denied those days off, part of the action taken by the government to prevent a mass transport of the virus to cities and villages around the country. An early part of the shutdown which appears to have been very successful.

• Like 2

I can see the in-laws wheels churning ... ok we’ve got to get to the NE

for free food and drink and back in 3 days or extend cough cough sick a few days  then tell sister give us so cash to compensate

for fuel and days off .....Cha Ching  while singing happy days are here again...

• Haha 1