40 % increase ofthe price\unit on my electric bill

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

here a photo of the 2 bills, on the left the one of may and on the right the one for june

The bill on the left is from May but calculated with the unit used in February, in your case 77units.

Your bill from March are the same as the one of February and May. 

April is not as that month you used lesser than the usage of February, 62units vs 77units.

The bill of June is normal pricing, only one last time the 3% deduction.

@Lopburi has posted a nice table explaining the buildup of the costs.

But one thing; the first part of the list doesn't match with your bill and that is the service charge.

Your usage is under the 150kWh but still billed with 38.22. 

Don't look to the table in 1.1.1.

Your type is, and your bill says too, table 1.1.2 which means your unit price is fixed at 3.2484 per unit in the first 150 which you didn't exceed.

Was you registered under table 1.1.1 then the billing was a little bit lower.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Ours too and we have 3 other bedrooms.  It's not bragging, its just that I couldn't live in such a restricted place.  I tried it once, for 6 horrible months and it drove me crazy and there was just me and Mrs P.  Our house is 220 sq m and a perfect size for us.  Elect bill is around 2,000 Baht per month and we use air-con every night for around 8 to 10 hours and have a pool. Last elect 'discount' was 700 Baht and it came in at 1,070 Baht, goodness knows why, as the bill didn't make any sense.  

Big change that your bill from March which was higher and paid, of which the 'covid19-discount' applied for but not calculated in that month/bill,  is now calculated and deducted fromyour last bill.

The electric company started the calculation in May, but the discount applies to the three months March/April/May.

Had the same with mine, March was paid full. April and May were the same as 'February' (for me the March bill as our metering day is on the 7th).

And the last bill for last month (Usage 7th of May to 7th of June) was the price of the usage in February and then again the 'overpayment' of the bill from March deducted from that.

122436.jpg.56de62e26744a8c3820773738f7c12b7.jpg

Our overpayment was something like 480thb, so our last bill was 800thb instead of 1280thb.

Without the discount our last bill would be hitting the 2000thb.

These last three months I was billed with 309 units only. 

It's now back to 'normal' so next bill (which comes in one week on the 7th of July) will be calculated according the real used units.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Last month 170 baht, this month 21000 baht . Electric company claims all is correct , for the life of me I can not see how this can be all correct for last or for this month

It would be correct if nobody was at home during the period january-february-march and last month, if you are metered at the end of the month, all appliances were turned on in a multi-bedroom home.

If the bill for the usage in February was 170thb, then it would be for March, April and May(Last month) . But not for June(This month).

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Last month 170 baht, this month 21000 baht . Electric company claims all is correct , for the life of me I can not see how this can be all correct for last or for this month

Post scans of your bills since February, there's been all sorts of interesting things going on with the Covid discounts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Post scans of your bills since February, there's been all sorts of interesting things going on with the Covid discounts.

Did not keep the bill but jump from 170 to 21000? 

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

Did not keep the bill but jump from 170 to 21000? 

Have you at least still got the 21,000 bill? It may hold clues as to why it's so large. What were your bills like in December, January?

Both MEA and PEA have applications / web pages where you can see up to 6 months of historical data if you can't actually remember.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Have you at least still got the 21,000 bill? It may hold clues as to why it's so large. What were your bills like in December, January?

Both MEA and PEA have applications / web pages where you can see up to 6 months of historical data if you can't actually remember.

The 21000 have, no clue besides huge number of units used . Last month also did not have anything wrong with it, just a few units used . No discount.

previous months was 8000-10000

when I initially contacted PEA they said their systems blew up and to call after the 19th, on 20th they said they will send someone out to check the meter. No one came . On 29th they said all is correct , their computer system confirms 

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

The 21000 have, no clue besides huge number of units used . Last month also did not have anything wrong with it, just a few units used . No discount.

previous months was 8000-10000

when I initially contacted PEA they said their systems blew up and to call after the 19th, on 20th they said they will send someone out to check the meter. No one came . On 29th they said all is correct , their computer system confirms 

Not sure why you did not keep the bill - even without a question it is good to keep at least six months.  But if you can download as mentioned perhaps we can be of more help.

Indeed if normal bill is 8-10k per month and last month was only 170 baht it may be correct and last months was wrong but this months got the reading right.  We have had very hot weather this year so bills are at or above those of most other years.  There is also the 3% discount and the other discount that varies and may or may not appear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Did you start this thread to tell us about your electric meter problems or to tell us about you living with 2 young girls and taking a showers with them? ????????????

The increase of the electric bill was the problem

the rest was just a possible explanation

i apologize if i shocked sensitive ears

it was totally involuntary

10 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

The bill on the left is from May but calculated with the unit used in February, in your case 77units.

To the point.

It clearly shows 77 units reduced.

And never was a unit available for 2.52 Baht (over many years).

First 150 units at 3.2484 in tariff 1.2 before tax and Ft correction.

So the second bill is simply "normal".

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Your bill from March are the same as the one of February and May. 

April is not as that month you used lesser than the usage of February, 62units vs 77units.

The bill of June is normal pricing, only one last time the 3% deduction.

@Lopburi has posted a nice table explaining the buildup of the costs.

But one thing; the first part of the list doesn't match with your bill and that is the service charge.

Your usage is under the 150kWh but still billed with 38.22. 

Don't look to the table in 1.1.1.

Your type is, and your bill says too, table 1.1.2 which means your unit price is fixed at 3.2484 per unit in the first 150 which you didn't exceed.

Was you registered under table 1.1.1 then the billing was a little bit lower.

if i understand well it should be intersting for me to change

my register to PEA and move from table 1.1.2 to the table 1.1.1 ?

The question is i am not the owner, just the renter, and the electric stuff is 

registered under the name of the owner at PEA, so can i change myself from one table to another?

19 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You also need to show your February bill as the May bill will be limited to that one. For 99 units you should pay 348.98Baht you probably used 80 units in February. 

Here we are

for some reasons the bill of february was in two parts 

with a part being a discount of 20,31 bahts. I don't know why.

fact elec fev mars 2020 002.JPG

jan feb elec bill 2020 002.JPG

jan feb elec bill 2020 001.JPG

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure why you did not keep the bill - even without a question it is good to keep at least six months.  But if you can download as mentioned perhaps we can be of more help.

Indeed if normal bill is 8-10k per month and last month was only 170 baht it may be correct and last months was wrong but this months got the reading right.  We have had very hot weather this year so bills are at or above those of most other years.  There is also the 3% discount and the other discount that varies and may or may not appear.

All makes sense, what does not make sense is both moths meter was read by a person, not a computer, so if it did not show correct usage last month, did it catch up this month? how is that possible?

I did not pursue it any further as it kind of works out evenly taking into consideration last month,

But the point is, last month they came out, took a reading and issued bill on the spot for 170 baht, which means meter showed usage worth 170 baht.

This month, same guy came out and meter showed usage worth 21000

So did meter stop spinning last month but started to spin 10 times the speed this month? lol

1 minute ago, BestB said:

All makes sense, what does not make sense is both moths meter was read by a person, not a computer, so if it did not show correct usage last month, did it catch up this month? how is that possible?

I did not pursue it any further as it kind of works out evenly taking into consideration last month,

But the point is, last month they came out, took a reading and issued bill on the spot for 170 baht, which means meter showed usage worth 170 baht.

So did meter stop spinning last month but started to spin 10 times the speed this month? lol

Last month incorporated the big discounts, this month does not.

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

Indeed as above - there was a big discount for some of us last month - believe it was based on when meters were read as to when the discount arrived.  But that would not explain almost double the normal bill this month.  But without bills to check we are shooting blind.

If you use more than 100 units a month the tariff rate goes up. You used 104 units. The rate increases again when you use higher units i pay 3.92 per unit but at the moment although I used 245 units my bill is restricted to the units used in February of 199 units with an extra 3% discount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 4:51 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Hot shower ?? Who takes hot showers in Thailand ? :blink:

My "cold water" in condo must be about 20°C, well enough for a shower...

but not cold enough to really refresh ????

I think all farlangs use warmed water.

8 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

You have two other people staying with you and if your bill is 78 that more this month big deal I wouldn’t be wasting all my time worrying about 78 bht TIT

Not really worry

i was just curious

and i have had a lot of good informations here

On 6/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, kingofthemountain said:

no, i take 2 showers\day minimum and same for the girls

but on the other hand i don't use the aircon.

And it's just a 38m2 studio with a big bed.

Big Bed for the 3 off you ? Great and it only cost an Extra THB 100 . 

I'll take that Any Day.  ????

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed as above - there was a big discount for some of us last month - believe it was based on when meters were read as to when the discount arrived.  But that would not explain almost double the normal bill this month.  But without bills to check we are shooting blind.

Discounts were up to 50%, so if average bill is 8-10, it would be nowhere near 170 baht. Then this month even taking away all the discounts bill double to the average.

one other thing which I found interesting when speaking with PEA, they said they checked their computer and usage was correct. So does this mean their system reads and knows meter reading ? And if it does, why have workers go around taking meter readings and producing bills.

not arguing about bill being right or wrong , just pointing out some funny things.

also to get a discount for previous months, I was told person whose name is on the bill have to go into PEA head office with a few docs to apply for discount. In my case discount was denied and did not see any on the bill.

38 minutes ago, BestB said:

also to get a discount for previous months, I was told person whose name is on the bill have to go into PEA head office with a few docs to apply for discount. In my case discount was denied and did not see any on the bill.

Believe that was in reference to refund of meter deposit - discount is sutomatic.

39 minutes ago, BestB said:

So does this mean their system reads and knows meter reading ? And if it does, why have workers go around taking meter readings

Meter reader is connected to computer - he manually enters reading so could have been wrong in previous month so much larger usage apparent/billed in current month and meter reading would be current.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe that was in reference to refund of meter deposit - discount is sutomatic.

Meter reader is connected to computer - he manually enters reading so could have been wrong in previous month so much larger usage apparent/billed in current month and meter reading would be current.

First paragraph, no it was to get a discount and not all were eligible as it turned out.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:11 AM, Metropolitian said:
On 7/1/2020 at 1:29 AM, BestB said:

It would be correct if nobody was at home during the period january-february-march and last month, if you are metered at the end of the month, all appliances were turned on in a multi-bedroom home.

If the bill for the usage in February was 170thb, then it would be for March, April and May(Last month) . But not for June(This month).

That reply of mine is not correct, had to read again and then the penny dropped..

On 7/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, BestB said:

1. The meter reader his/her handheld do have access to your history. This is also printed on your bill on the bottom.

2. It's clear why your last bill was 170 baht, but without seeing the bill it is just shooting but I think I am very close:

Your February bill was not as much as the other following months, March, April, May and June.

NOW the Government issued a discount for almost  everyone, especially -households-, for the month March/April/May.

Some people already got their bill for the 'first' month -before- the discount was calculated. Happened with mine, and perhaps with yours too.

Lets say your 'normal' bill was 8000-10000. That means that you are in the 'third' square for the discount, eg. the price that you have paid in February PLUS 50% of the difference between February and the -month- you got your bill. 

If your -fictive, with real usage- bill for February was 4000 and March was 10000, April 9000 and May 8000.  Then you would have to pay March:7000, April:6500 and May:6000.

As already said, when you paid March in full without the compensation then you had overpaid and they kept it until June.

When your bill for June was 3170 then the computer would print 170 as you has overpaid the bill of March and -that- is compensated in the bill for June.

Without knowing the exact usage it's just guessing with numbers, but it was like this.

If you want to know for sure and we can check then post a copy of your last bill, you can hide the top, just the numbers and the monthly unit usage at the bottom.

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Discounts were up to 50%, so if average bill is 8-10, it would be nowhere near 170 baht. Then this month even taking away all the discounts bill double to the average.

one other thing which I found interesting when speaking with PEA, they said they checked their computer and usage was correct. So does this mean their system reads and knows meter reading ? And if it does, why have workers go around taking meter readings and producing bills.

not arguing about bill being right or wrong , just pointing out some funny things.

Nope, the discount was automatically for households. Only for the deposit for the meter, which can be done online if you are the owner but if you are the owner and has registered with passport instead of the 13 iD number then a visit to the PEA office was needed.

If you are not the owner, or  did not do the deposit, then no.

Some has paid the deposit of the meter but isn't registered as owner (happens at condo's and some new houses) you can get the deposit back if you go with the registrant from the condo office.

10 hours ago, BestB said:

First paragraph, no it was to get a discount and not all were eligible as it turned out.

Companies were not eligible.  7-eleven and Tesco stores has no discount.