New Teaching Job: What have I got myself into?

I have a degree...

And before the trolls jump in and start spamming.. I am not complaining about the salary.  But it should inform how hard I'm willing to work in the position.

I took the job at the beginning of the covid outbreak because I needed a visa and they were willing to get me one several months before I was due to start teaching.  It worked out well because the classes got pushed back an extra two months...

2 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

28,000....for a native speaker with a real degree?? I know you may be in the sticks but man.....that is bottom of the barrel. I bet their expectations keep going up and up throughout the term....to the point where this is absolutely not worth it in any way. Well, I dont think it is in the first place,but i'll wager you'll come around as well. 35,000 should be ABSOLUTE MINIMUM....and even that is COMPLETE  <deleted> !!!

Should be interesting in a few weeks, when all the teachers, who started out on amnesty (and working illegally) are sent packing.  But everyone starts out of compliance, right?

On 7/13/2020 at 4:51 PM, moontang said:

Should be interesting in a few weeks, when all the teachers, who started out on amnesty (and working illegally) are sent packing.  But everyone starts out of compliance, right?

Judging by the number of jobs on ajarn, many schools are struggling to get teachers now. But if one wants to apply for a job from within Thailand, does't one normally need to leave the country to process the non-B visa? This may be a good opportunity for those on marriage extensions who want to teach. I once changed jobs but that was like 20 years ago - but at that time we didnt need to leave the country to do it. 

Edited by DavisH

I just saw an ad for Substitute Teachers in Phoenix.  All you need is a four year degree in anything and a fairly clean rap sheet.  155 USD per day.  Zero meetings, free lunch, almost no lesson planning, no age restrictions...

• Like 1

If they're piling more work on you, politely refuse working on weekends, for example. I imagine it would easily be seen as reasonable by the school—and will show that you aren't willing to accept everything they throw at you. They will find someone else for the weekends.

For a large workload, lower your expectations of the usual quality of your work, and find shortcuts to prepare lessons, and so on (if you can keep the same quality, but save time, all the better). You can't burn yourself out trying to keep up with much higher demands.

All this is likely better than leaving, and would very probably be appreciated by the school. It's a pandemic, so everyone is working more, but at the same time, I'm sure the school knows that there are limits to what the school and teachers can do considering the circumstances.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:34 PM, ThLT said:

If they're piling more work on you, politely refuse working on weekends, for example. I imagine it would easily be seen as reasonable by the school—and will show that you aren't willing to accept everything they throw at you. They will find someone else for the weekends.

For a large workload, lower your expectations of the usual quality of your work, and find shortcuts to prepare lessons, and so on (if you can keep the same quality, but save time, all the better). You can't burn yourself out trying to keep up with much higher demands.

All this is likely better than leaving, and would very probably be appreciated by the school. It's a pandemic, so everyone is working more, but at the same time, I'm sure the school knows that there are limits to what the school and teachers can do considering the circumstances.

Wanna bet?

On 7/16/2020 at 7:03 PM, moontang said:

I just saw an ad for Substitute Teachers in Phoenix.  All you need is a four year degree in anything and a fairly clean rap sheet.  155 USD per day.  Zero meetings, free lunch, almost no lesson planning, no age restrictions...

That's great but why would I head to the USA- the epicenter of the covid-19 crisis right now?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farang123 said:

That's great but why would I head to the USA- the epicenter of the covid-19 crisis right now?

The current crisis will pass...however, the crisis of conditions for foreign teachers will not.  Now, get the sweat stains out of your purple polyester suit, and prepare yourself for uncompensated work.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:59 AM, Farang123 said:

Thanks for  your comments.

My salary is 28,000 a month ????

On the face of it - it looks unacceptable and an unworkable nightmare - but actually, it looks OK, you could give it a go for the term.

I would explain to the school that you understand these are difficult times and you can be flexible, but no activity period or camp (unless all the Thai teachers have to do one too)

I think I understand you, a 6 week rotation, every class is 25 min period with half class, I don't think I saw how many times a week - If it were me, I would produce an hour lesson plan and a worksheet (I wouldn't even give them the worksheet to keep, they would need to copy it into their workbook and beautify it) that they could use for 2-3 of the 25 min periods. I would use that sheet for M1-2, M3-4, M5-6 - I know it sounds a bit <deleted>, but honestly you will be up all night preparing lessons if not. There is usually a speaking page in the Thai teachers textbook that you can take inspiration or use.

Teaching Mathayom is a little different to Paratom. In the schools I worked at it was pretty chilled, the kids had didn't always learn every period, they had homework and self-study time.

I'm presuming that you are a conversation teacher,  Part of the worksheet would be a conversation, as part of their week project they must create a conversation, doesn't need to be a long conversation, and then on the last day give them a period to come and see you, present their written work for the week and then let them speak their conversation in pairs, let them read if they need. That way you can have a bit of a rest on Friday.

Its very much a hearts and minds exercise, get them doing something they enjoy, a written project with a conversation, get them producing something the Thais can see and get them to speak out. Hope it all works for you.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:37 PM, Farang123 said:

It's 20-22 hours of teaching time.  This is no part time job.  I have to be there promptly at 7:30 a.m. every morning and stay till 4.  There is lesson preparation, extracurricular activities and answering the questions of the Thai teachers and so forth.  I was just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation do to the covid crisis.  I appreciate the advice about sticking up for myself.  I will keep that in mind. 

20 to 22 hours of teaching time/contact hours is rough. But being there from 7.30 to 4 pm is normal. I scan out at 4.30, sometimes later, and I also start at 7.30.

Lesson planning is part of being a teacher, be happy that the Thai teachers are talking to you. It shows that you're accepted, and it's not harmful. 

I also teach more hours because we are a few teachers short. The COVID 19 crisis will have an end one day, nobody knows when.

If your salary is okay and they treat you well, think twice before you leave. Other positions are worse.  Best of luck! 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, teacherclaire said:

20 to 22 hours of teaching time/contact hours is rough. But being there from 7.30 to 4 pm is normal. I scan out at 4.30, sometimes later, and I also start at 7.30.

Lesson planning is part of being a teacher, be happy that the Thai teachers are talking to you. It shows that you're accepted, and it's not harmful. 

I also teach more hours because we are a few teachers short. The COVID 19 crisis will have an end one day, nobody knows when.

If your salary is okay and they treat you well, think twice before you leave. Other positions are worse.  Best of luck! 

My salary is 28,000 a month.  It's on the low end of the spectrum.  What are you making?  

• Like 1