Bangkok Bank -Dormant Accounts

A friend stuck in UK for an indefinite time is worried about his account. He was told no activity on his account for six months and his account will be closed. I read 10 years on T and C on bank website. Anyone have any further info.?

32 minutes ago, pontious said:

A friend stuck in UK for an indefinite time is worried about his account. He was told no activity on his account for six months and his account will be closed. I read 10 years on T and C on bank website. Anyone have any further info.?

Just call them to ask, they do speak English.  

35 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I think the rules are more like;

"If your savings account has been inactive for more than one year with a balance of less than Baht 2,000, a maintenance fee of Baht 50 will be deducted from your account each month. When the balance is zero, your account will be automatically closed".

(from Bangkok Bank website)

Thank you for your very useful post.

• Like 1

I have a dormant Bangkok Bank account , havent touched it for about 18 months 

I have just taken the ATM card to a BB ATM machine and the balance is 300 Baht and so the account isnt closed .

Just looking at the receipt and it shows interest and tax payments , maybe those payments have kept the account active 

@pontius

That's simple to solve.

Just transfer via internet banking ten baht to one of your other accounts in Thailand or your friend's account. 

If you don't have a friend's account, just ask the forummers here. I am sure you can afford ten baht.

I usually do that online for my Thai bank accounts.

Edited by EricTh

I tried to open a new account at Bangkok Bank but was told I could not because I had an account already. I knew I had but had not touched it in 20 years. Still active with money in it, about 20,000 THB. Had to get a police report to get a new bank book and ATM.

2 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

I tried to open a new account at Bangkok Bank but was told I could not because I had an account already. I knew I had but had not touched it in 20 years. Still active with money in it, about 20,000 THB. Had to get a police report to get a new bank book and ATM.

Did you forget that you had one? Anyway, how did they trace your account when your passport number have changed?

Why didn't Bangkok Bank close it?

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Did you forget that you had one? Anyway, how did they trace your account when your passport number have changed?

Why didn't Bangkok Bank close it?

I did not forget but assumed it was long closed by the bank. I did not have my account number and passport been changed. Just had my name. Not closed possibly because of balance. I did not ask.

Edited by bangsaenguy

I asked them this question about a year ago.  From what I remember, at that time, I think it's 150-200 baht a year fee if you have a bank card.  The account will remain open indefinitely as long as there is enough to pay that annual fee.  This part I am not sure about but it may get put into a dormant mode if it drops below 1000 baht but you can easily undo that by going into the bank or using your card at a machine.

All I know is that I have about 1500 baht in there and after I asked them these questions I was not worried if I don't make it back for a couple years.  

Edited by shdmn

17 minutes ago, jvs said:

I received a notice this week that from now on every month they will deduct 15 baht for sending me an sms

every time money is either deposited or withdrawn.

For sure that is not a mandatory service, so just cancel it, unless you want to receive those sms of course.

With my Kasikorn app, I will receive a message on my phone and by email when any money is withdrawn or a transfer is made. Free

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bangsaenguy said:

I did not forget but assumed it was long closed by the bank. I did not have my account number and passport been changed. Just had my name. Not closed possibly because of balance. I did not ask.

You mean you are still using a 20 year old passport? Which country give a more than 20 years validity for their passport?

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

You mean you are still using a 20 year old passport? Which country give a more than 20 years validity for their passport?

No. Have had 2 passports since I originally opened the account. The only useful info I gave them was my name