Considering overstay if July31st amnesty not extended.

Hi, 

My Non O Marriage Visa expires Aug 15 and I have used my 60 day extension and got stamp in passport that says i must leave Thailand today. I'm currently "using" the July 31st amnesty.

If amnesty is not extended, im seriously considering overstaying since it seems the fines are worth it compared to my alternatives of expensive unreliable flight back to US away from my wife and kids here.

Are the fines and penalty at this website accurate? https://www.tratimmigration.com/thailand-visa-overstay-regulations/

If I overstay for 90 days, all i have to do is pay 20k baht at airport? how much of a hassle is it? Are there any other negative consequences at all?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Caldera said:

As of now, you can neither fly from Thailand to Laos nor travel to any neighboring country overland. It remains to be seen if that changes before the visa amnesty expires, so that's not necessarily a viable alternative the OP can plan for.

yeah you´re right.....

glegolo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

As of now, you can neither fly from Thailand to Laos nor travel to any neighboring country overland. It remains to be seen if that changes before the visa amnesty expires, so that's not necessarily a viable alternative the OP can plan for.

And, even if the borders with neighbouring countries were to re-open by 31st July, there would still be no guarantee that by then:-

(1) Thai embassies and consulates in places such as Savannakhet, Vientiane, Penang and Hoh Chi Minh City will have re-opened for the issuing of visas: or

(2) the current requirements for (re-)entering Thailand based on mandatory minimum 100k USD COVID-19 insurance cover and 14-days self-isolation will have been relaxed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

And, even if the borders with neighbouring countries were to re-open by 31st July, there would still be no guarantee that by then:-

Land border crossings with a with a neighboring country could open with an agreement with the other country with less restrictions than those by air.

i am with you on the thinking,
if you feel there is little to zero risk of you being arrested
then you are good for 90 days before a ban would be imposed

i am curious, what are ALL your other options ?

i am in the same boat, i did have an option to get an extra 2 weeks 
but did not bother extending my stay and just went with the amnesty
i also could have put funds in bank and went for 1 year
but TBH i dont really like staying here constantly as i like to travel
so am never usually here for 90 days

and i got zero plans to return to UK
so now i am eyeing up what destinations are possible
few countries opening borders already and from this month
Tanzania sounds good simply due to the Pres having a brain,
also Georgia (1 year stay and cheap)

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Why not just go to immigration and get an extension based on Marriage /retirement that will solve all you problems for a year

"I have used my 60 day extension"

also not enough time to deposit required 400k into bank for 2 months,
if they don't have that amount already in their account for that time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, innosiem said:

i am with you on the thinking,
if you feel there is little to zero risk of you being arrested
then you are good for 90 days before a ban would be imposed

i am curious, what are ALL your other options ?

i am in the same boat, i did have an option to get an extra 2 weeks 
but did not bother extending my stay and just went with the amnesty
i also could have put funds in bank and went for 1 year
but TBH i dont really like staying here constantly as i like to travel
so am never usually here for 90 days

and i got zero plans to return to UK
so now i am eyeing up what destinations are possible
few countries opening borders already and from this month
Tanzania sounds good simply due to the Pres having a brain,
also Georgia (1 year stay and cheap)

My last check, these seemed possible for ~$500 flights (assuming not canceled) - but I did not dig into the details yet, so do your own research:
Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Cyprus
I already gave notice to my landlord, but will wait and see what countries appear to be possible closer to Aug 1st, if an option to stay does not present itself.

As to overstay - I won't be doing that.  At the least, would have to move (so Imm don't know where to find you), then hide-out indoors all the time.  I would imagine when the "auto-extension" ends, the police will be on the prowl for overstayers, who will be ripe for extortion.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

My last check, these seemed possible for ~$500 flights (assuming not canceled) - but I did not dig into the details yet, so do your own research:
Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Cyprus
I already gave notice to my landlord, but will wait and see what countries appear to be possible closer to Aug 1st, if an option to stay does not present itself.

As to overstay - I won't be doing that.  At the least, would have to move (so Imm don't know where to find you), then hide-out indoors all the time.  I would imagine when the "auto-extension" ends, the police will be on the prowl for overstayers, who will be ripe for extortion.

Do you have websites where you found that info?

Also, does anyone know about Georgia and Bulgaria?

29 minutes ago, phungo said:

why do you think it's an excellent idea?

I'm sure the guy you were quoting was having a stir. You gave him a sad emote? 

Your the OP and stated post #1 ...I'm seriously considering overstay.

So let's get this right. You don't like your options (you do have some be it not nice) , so you FORWARD PLAN an overstay 90 days.

Seriously most ridiculous plan possible.

34 minutes ago, jonga80 said:

If the amnesty is not extended, and I think it won't, I'll overstay 2 or 3 months, maximum 90 days. I don't want to return to Spain now, and I don't see any good option in Asia, quarantines and thousands of restrictions. So I will take the risk. I am in Bangkok, I move in the city by MRT or airtrain, I never saw any police passport control or something. I hope they don't run me over, and about the covid19 I think Thailand nowadays is one of the safest countries, a lot of restrictions without cases. So I don't see better city to stay some months. If I could go out, get a visa and come back without 2 times 14 days quarantines, I would do, but if I go out I know it will be impossible to return.

Quite a few countries are open already without restrictions or quarantine etc, and more opening this month

• Like 1

Amnesty will be extented, they have no choice, not enough planes in a day for hundreds thousand foreigners who need to go out. But why is is so complicated to understand something so easy for most ?

Just now, samtab said:

Amnesty will be extented, they have no choice, not enough planes in a day for hundreds thousand foreigners who need to go out. But why is is so complicated to understand something so easy for most ?

They do have a choice,
it is not 100% guaranteed it will be extended, until it is.
unless you have a crystal ball,
it is wise to pray for sunshine and prepare for rain.
There have been plenty of flights OUT of Thailand to various countries.
everyone that had to leave has had plenty of extra time to leave

Yes, it would make more sense for Thailand to allow foreigners already here to remain here
but when have decisions from up top always made sense ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonga80 said:

If the amnesty is not extended, and I think it won't, I'll overstay 2 or 3 months, maximum 90 days. I don't want to return to Spain now, and I don't see any good option in Asia, quarantines and thousands of restrictions. So I will take the risk. I am in Bangkok, I move in the city by MRT or airtrain,

You seriously need to look into consequences of overstay. Your sound very  poorly informed. Almost past foolish.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they amnesty will be extended if border crossings are closed. At this it does appear they probably will still be closed at the end of this month.

Hopefully borders remain closed and remain closed for at least the next 2-3 months. Why risk letting foreigners into Thailand and introduce new cases of COVID-19 when there's now no community transmission? Plus there's still a lot of foreign tourists here who are not infected.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1