Considering overstay if July31st amnesty not extended.

13 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Hopefully borders remain closed and remain closed for at least the next 2-3 months. Why risk letting foreigners into Thailand and introduce new cases of COVID-19 when there's now no community transmission? Plus there's still a lot of foreign tourists here who are not infected.

I'm hopeful for the opposite.  Life has to return to normal and the economic consequences of 'lockdowns' are terrible, although not as dramatic as the relatively low number of Covid deaths.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glegolo said:

Why go back to USA, you can just fly out to Laos for 1.500 baht, or take a bus out or anything much much cheaper.... Your post seems to be strange...

glegolo

You do realize the borders remain closed for the foreseeable future. The earliest borders might open is August, but probably with stringent conditions.

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You seriously need to look into consequences of overstay. Your sound very  poorly informed. Almost past foolish.

If nothing strange happens, I will pay 20.000 bahts in the airport, and if the overstay time is less than 90 days I will be able to return to Thailand in the future.

if I get run over by a car or motorcycle, or seriously ill, or commit a crime, or maybe a passport control in downtown Bangkok, etc... Yes, I could go to jail and they could ban me for 5 years.

I staid in Bangkok in different times, in total more than 12 months, and nothing ever happened to me. In Bangkok, only in the city, I am not thinking of traveling in Thailand, so if the amnesty is not extended I will take the risk for 2 or 3 months.

• Haha 1

Seems like a good idea, until you are stopped, arrested, thrown in jail and deported. That will cost you a lot more.

If you're lucky and don't get checked, you'll get a nice overstay stamp in your passport, compromising future entries or extensions.

2 hours ago, jonga80 said:

If the amnesty is not extended, and I think it won't, I'll overstay 2 or 3 months, maximum 90 days. I don't want to return to Spain now, and I don't see any good option in Asia, quarantines and thousands of restrictions. So I will take the risk. I am in Bangkok, I move in the city by MRT or airtrain, I never saw any police passport control or something. I hope they don't run me over, and about the covid19 I think Thailand nowadays is one of the safest countries, a lot of restrictions without cases. So I don't see better city to stay some months. If I could go out, get a visa and come back without 2 times 14 days quarantines, I would do, but if I go out I know it will be impossible to return.

Well, first of all, there is a reasonable chance it may be extended by a month or two, or they might introduce an option where you pay for a temporary extension until borders re-open. Just pay attention to the news; you'll know whether they do it or not soon enough.

Secondly, Thailand isn't a police state (though with the covid measures they had going during April and May one might come to a different conclusion - that being said, the entire world with few exceptions experienced similarly stringent restrictions) so you aren't going to be faced with police passport controls on the MRT (come on!) especially not at a time when there are so few foreigners around.

But I really don't think overstaying is a good idea, even if the chance of getting caught remain slim.

I think there is a reasonably good chance you'll be able to remain legally, for a little while longer. That is assuming re-openings continue on the same trajectory, which is that we end up with a full re-opening of borders within a couple of months from now. I don't see the Thai authorities kicking everyone out to the curb come July 31, without some other reasonable option coming into play by then. Once borders re-open properly, then yes, because it will be considered back to "normal times".

However, I don't see there being different requirements once countries fully open up their borders - any changes that come out of this covid situation are going to be applied globally, much like aviation rules - starting after 911. Some people with a particularly dim view of Thailand make up conspiracy theories like how Thailand is going to be a much tougher place to enter but without evidence, claim neighboring countries Laos or Vietnam will remain remarkably open. That is pure nonsense. If Thailand requires a covid test to enter the country in the future, you can guarantee neighboring countries and the rest of the world will too. In fact, this can already be seen by current Cambodian entry requirements and what Vietnam and Sri Lanka plan to do when they re-open for tourism in around a month's time. And just so the naysayers don't go "oh, but what about Europe? They're not imposing such requirements" I realize that Europe is for the most part, not requiring these things at all (or anymore) since their response to this crisis has been somewhat different, but what I'm getting at is what will happen in the immediate aftermath of border re-openings to foreigners and moving forth.

What I foresee upon initial re-opening, is countries applying temporary measures that may differ a little from country to country, but once this pandemic is declared as over, we'll start to see uniform entry requirements that differ only in terms of visa requirements as per normal.

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My last check, these seemed possible for ~$500 flights (assuming not canceled) - but I did not dig into the details yet, so do your own research:
Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Cyprus
I already gave notice to my landlord, but will wait and see what countries appear to be possible closer to Aug 1st, if an option to stay does not present itself.

As to overstay - I won't be doing that.  At the least, would have to move (so Imm don't know where to find you), then hide-out indoors all the time.  I would imagine when the "auto-extension" ends, the police will be on the prowl for overstayers, who will be ripe for extortion.

Turkey doesn't seem like a wise choice. Look up the recent US embassy notice. Weekend daytime curfews are in place. Once you get there life may be a lot more restrictive than Thailand was during April and May.

I say Europe - unless you're from a country that isn't allowed to enter (such as the USA).

20 minutes ago, drbeach said:

But I really don't think overstaying is a good idea, even if the chance of getting caught remain slim.

To add to that. In normal circumstances the chance of being caught would be slimish with low profile. This however is unique situation. 

Let's say amnesty is not extended. It's obvious some stupid folk will roll the dice and overstay

Any hotel that has your details will know that your on overstay aug 1. The setup for sting is so obvious. That just one example  Fancy living like that for 3 months. 

• Like 2

Assuming, you aren't taken into custody on the way to the airport due to a random checkpoint where you failed to produce proper paperwork, this is what will happen if you do it: if you have 20k, your passport and a plane ticket to you home country, they might let you go. Depends on the officers on duty. It has been a  criminal offense to overstay in the land of genuine smiles for quite some time, and you can be jailed for a couple of months. Plus for the same reason you can be banned from re-entering(for some time), which would be a shame. In no other country on the planet were people taught to smile on demand to my knowledge. Plus in IDC you're gonna have diarrhoea because they serve food the way Thais like it. Very spicy. So either sort it out the right way or possibly get booked, sh*t yourself from bad food every morning, then again mess your pants at the airport upon being told that you won't be able to come back for a while. 

Just my two Euros

11 hours ago, at15 said:

highly advised not to do that, risking 5 year ban away from the wife and kids. start looking at flights to USA now, get the best deal possible. 

Have you considered talking to an agency? I asked about changing my retire visa into marriage visa during this travel ban. They said it was possible. So renewing your marriage visa should be easy to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonga80 said:

If nothing strange happens, I will pay 20.000 bahts in the airport, and if the overstay time is less than 90 days I will be able to return to Thailand in the future.

if I get run over by a car or motorcycle, or seriously ill, or commit a crime, or maybe a passport control in downtown Bangkok, etc... Yes, I could go to jail and they could ban me for 5 years.

I staid in Bangkok in different times, in total more than 12 months, and nothing ever happened to me. In Bangkok, only in the city, I am not thinking of traveling in Thailand, so if the amnesty is not extended I will take the risk for 2 or 3 months.

I never had a problem in Thailand, until I moved to Bangkok, where I have been stopped and searched for "walking on a sidewalk" by moto police twice pre-covid, about 2 or 3 months apart.  They were polite, and I had "my papers," including work-permit, and no contraband (searched down to my pocket lint, my bag emptied and searched, etc), and was let go with a "sigh" (i.e. no money).  

Also, a few days ago, saw the moto-cops stop a moto-driver and start searching his farang-passenger.  Not sure what was up with that. 

If you are going to risk it, and go outside, be sure you have lots of available cash at the nearest ATM, as reports are, if you get as far as the police station, the cost goes way up.  If the amnesty ends, they will know there are available cash-targets, and will be on the prowl.  I'll be carrying my passport and work-permit, even to go to the nearest 7-11.

I personally think there will some amnesty or mechanism to stay through August & September. 

Having said that, I intend to have my bags packed and ready to go on a moments notice by July 15. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You seriously need to look into consequences of overstay. Your sound very  poorly informed. Almost past foolish.

You can't help those who don't want to help themselves @DrJack54 His mind seems to be made up on this new exciting S.E. Asian adventure he's so intent on embarking upon. Live and learn, to each his own eh?.....To the OP โชคดี

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:34 AM, vinny41 said:

I wouldn't advise it , if you were stopped at a police checkpoint

if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years

"if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years"

Not correct. Where did you read that? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years"

see post #7 same info from ubanjoe and information is correct

Edited by vinny41
additional info
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

He read this in my post that is from the immigration website.

image.png.b46578580bc9986812d20276ce4463

On 7/1/2020 at 11:11 AM, innosiem said:

"I have used my 60 day extension"

also not enough time to deposit required 400k into bank for 2 months,
if they don't have that amount already in their account for that time

Then use an agent simples really

5 hours ago, fourpack said:

Then use an agent simples really

Exactly.  If Immigration won't issue you an extension in-person, for whatever reason - justified or not - the SANE options are:

1) Leave before the auto-extension ends (might be extended).

2) Pay an agent so you don't have to leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Exactly.  If Immigration won't issue you an extension in-person, for whatever reason - justified or not - the SANE options are:

Im completely ignorant on what an agent does or how to find one. How can an agent help increase my options? They can legally do additional things that I cannot do for myself? If so that would be great! Any pointers on how to find a good agent? 

Edited by phungo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, phungo said:

Im completely ignorant on what an agent does or how to find one. How can an agent help increase my options? They can legally do additional things that I cannot do for myself? If so that would be great! Any pointers on how to find a good agent? 

There are several things, depending on the agent and what you need:

• Help you prepare paperwork for a completely-legit extension, and talk to the immigration-staff for you
  • Help you get a legit-extension without "extra undocumented requirements" or a "change of visa type" (aka "conversion") which your office won't do w/o a bribe, even though they can/should by law
  • Fake money for your financials, allowing to obtain extensions for which you don't financially qualify; also includes skipping home-visits (some areas / extension-types) and "undocumented requirements."

The cost varies by service and area, with the 2nd and 3rd costing significantly more, due to the bribe involved (most of the money).  Not all agents can/will do all of the above.  In Bangkok, you need a "law firm" agent for family-based extensions (expensive), but a "regular" agent can get retirement extensions done.

How to find - depends on what area.  Some used to advertise on this site.  I found several by web-search.  Someone might PM you a link.  I know the area where they can be found in Jomtien, but haven't used their services (could get a Non-O-ME at the time, instead).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

There are several things, depending on the agent and what you need:

• Help you prepare paperwork for a completely-legit extension, and talk to the immigration-staff for you
  • Help you get a legit-extension without "extra undocumented requirements" or a "change of visa type" (aka "conversion") which your office won't do w/o a bribe, even though they can/should by law
  • Fake money for your financials, allowing to obtain extensions for which you don't financially qualify; also includes skipping home-visits (some areas / extension-types) and "undocumented requirements."

The cost varies by service and area, with the 2nd and 3rd costing significantly more, due to the bribe involved (most of the money).  Not all agents can/will do all of the above.  In Bangkok, you need a "law firm" agent for family-based extensions (expensive), but a "regular" agent can get retirement extensions done.

How to find - depends on what area.  Some used to advertise on this site.  I found several by web-search.  Someone might PM you a link.  I know the area where they can be found in Jomtien, but haven't used their services (could get a Non-O-ME at the time, instead).

JT, thank you so much for this! 

• Like 2

Actually not a bad idea, especially if you don’t care. Stay a few years on over stay, head to the airport pay the 20 k. And head out. Never come back, and save yourself the hassle of immigration.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, garyk said:

Actually not a bad idea, especially if you don’t care. Stay a few years on over stay, head to the airport pay the 20 k. And head out. Never come back, and save yourself the hassle of immigration.

As long as you're prepared to cut your stay short at a moment's notice and to spend a few weeks at the IDC on your way out, that is.

Hard to tell what the likelihood of a clean exit is. A lot depends on where you live, your lifestyle, and plain old luck. I wouldn't like to take my chances.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 1:34 AM, vinny41 said:

I wouldn't advise it , if you were stopped at a police checkpoint

if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years

Police checkpoints do not check your passport and visa! 

Overstay is no big deal as long nothing happens right? What about your insurance (if you have one) is it still valid?

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, JackThompson said:

No one knows if you can even use an agent if the amnesty is lifted July 31. 

7 hours ago, Tagged said:

Police checkpoints do not check your passport and visa! 

Overstay is no big deal as long nothing happens right? What about your insurance (if you have one) is it still valid?

What kind of insurance? I think the reason for using the insurance is important. If on overstay, you're not here legally. 

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

As long as you're prepared to cut your stay short at a moment's notice and to spend a few weeks at the IDC on your way out, that is.

Hard to tell what the likelihood of a clean exit is. A lot depends on where you live, your lifestyle, and plain old luck. I wouldn't like to take my chances.

As long as you're not caught by the police,just go to Suvarnabhumi and pay the fee = 20k and your home free. No IDC. But you'll not be able to come back for a few years.