Fauci warns spread of COVID-19 'could get very bad', says no guarantee of vaccine

webfact

On 7/5/2020 at 7:03 AM, yuyiinthesky said:

Do you actually know what a medical doctor has to do in his university education? It seems that you don’t. It might not be the same in every country, but the way I know it there is a phase where they do some scientific research, and are trained in it. That can include hands on research in labs with mice and all that.

Are you sure you’re not mixing up research with training?

And now for some discouraging news:

Coronavirus herd immunity may be 'unachievable' after study suggests antibodies disappear after weeks in some people

• A major new study in one of Europe's worst affected countries for the coronavirus finds no evidence of widespread immunity to the virus developing.
  • Just 5% of Spaniards were detected to have antibodies to the virus.
  • Fourteen percent of people who previously tested positive for antibodies tested negative just weeks later

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-antibodies-study-herd-immunity-unachievable-spain-2020-7

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

However loss of circulating antibodies does nto mean there is no immunity.

The immune response is complex and has many components of which specific antibodies are but one.  Even in the absence of specific antibodies, the body's T cells may"remember"  the virus and be rpimed to immediately attack it when next encountered.

in fact, it appears that up to 40% of people in some parts of the world already have thsi repsonse, perghaps from prior infection with a different corona virus, which may help explain why some people get it and some don't.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41392-020-00228-1

Thanks for the encouragement. 

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 1:48 PM, Traubert said:

We have VPNs same as Thailand does. Clearly you have never been near China so don't tell me how it is.

Sorry to disappoint you once again, but I have been not only very near, but even „in“ China. And I don‘t mean Taiwan, the other, independent, Chinese country, but my feet touched CCP controlled soil.

If you use a VPN in China, please be careful. Some tips:

So, here are the essential points of using a VPN in China without breaking the law:

• Use a VPN with explicit authorization from the Chinese government. Once you shortlist the VPNs you’re interested in, make sure to contact them and ask about their relationship with Chinese authorities (whether they’re approved or not).
  • Use VPNs only for sanctioned purposes, such as data security or letting your field workers access Intranet features. Once again, keep in mind that you must stay away from any online criminal activities. Using a VPN won’t protect you if you break any laws, in China or elsewhere in the world.

Source: https://www.technadu.com/how-to-use-vpns-in-china-without-breaking-the-law/18492/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, winslowsjardine said:

This is not showing the number of infected persons, which is most probably magnitudes higher.

Calling it cases is also misleading, as the very big majority is asymptotic.

Better call that graph the positive PCR tests (and hope it was using the more specific tests, to avoid too many false positives or negatives.

As the target of this graph is political, I understand that a bigger growth of the curve is desired. Tip: that easy to achieve, just triple the testing, you will get more positive tests, the curve will look more dramatic, and the guy it tries to blame will look even more negative.

Just don’t claim it shows the real development of infections. It could give a hint if you overlay the graph with the number of tests. But better don‘t try, the resulting curve might look less dramatic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

This is not showing the number of infected persons, which is most probably magnitudes higher.

Calling it cases is also misleading, as the very big majority is asymptotic.

Better call that graph the positive PCR tests (and hope it was using the more specific tests, to avoid too many false positives or negatives.

As the target of this graph is political, I understand that a bigger growth of the curve is desired. Tip: that easy to achieve, just triple the testing, you will get more positive tests, the curve will look more dramatic, and the guy it tries to blame will look even more negative.

Just don’t claim it shows the real development of infections. It could give a hint if you overlay the graph with the number of tests. But better don‘t try, the resulting curve might look less dramatic.

Very good analysis,but don`t expect the liberals to accept it.This is how it goes on Thaivisa,liberals accept any old claptrap that a fellow liberal puts forward but demand you show everything to satisfy them,but don`t dare link to a right wing website as that is not acceptable,it must be a left wing site(cnn,nyt,washington post,guardian).Liberals are so funny.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, winslowsjardine said:

I'm sure I could find  a nice graph to show that the curve has gone down severely on the death rate.  Fact of the matter it has.  Now primarily younger people are getting covid, and IF they are healthy, there's the smallest of small chances they will have major symptoms.  However many ( 75% actually) are either considered obese or overweight.  Along with this condition, all the underlying co morbidities pop up.  This is the reason hospitalizations are on the rise.  Overall ifr under 70 years of age is .04%  Is that worth all the fear and scare mongering?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v2

>>Among people <70 years old, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.26% with median of 0.05% (corrected, 0.00-0.23% with median of 0.04%). Most studies were done in pandemic epicenters and the few studies done in locations with more modest death burden also suggested lower infection fatality rates.

Looking over in Europe, deaths above normal are back to normal.  Of course the fear and gloom lot would say that that is Europe, and not the US.  Why is everyone so quiet on how Europe is doing now? Everyone I talk to there says they are living their life like they did last year and now that the facts are in, they have nothing to fear as they aren't elderly, nor are they obese with underlying issues.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I'm sure I could find  a nice graph to show that the curve has gone down severely on the death rate.  Fact of the matter it has.  Now primarily younger people are getting covid, and IF they are healthy, there's the smallest of small chances they will have major symptoms.  However many ( 75% actually) are either considered obese or overweight.  Along with this condition, all the underlying co morbidities pop up.  This is the reason hospitalizations are on the rise.  Overall ifr under 70 years of age is .04%  Is that worth all the fear and scare mongering?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v2

>>Among people <70 years old, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.26% with median of 0.05% (corrected, 0.00-0.23% with median of 0.04%). Most studies were done in pandemic epicenters and the few studies done in locations with more modest death burden also suggested lower infection fatality rates.

Looking over in Europe, deaths above normal are back to normal.  Of course the fear and gloom lot would say that that is Europe, and not the US.  Why is everyone so quiet on how Europe is doing now? Everyone I talk to there says they are living their life like they did last year and now that the facts are in, they have nothing to fear as they aren't elderly, nor are they obese with underlying issues.

Nobody is quiet on Europe. It is really easy (most of) Europe contained it, but authorities still fear a second wave. The US did not contain it, so the comparisons to Europe 'why can't we open schools, they can' are simply stupid.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, candide said:

So why don't you do it in order to support your claim?

That‘s a good idea!

However the real question is why the ones making such graphs don‘t do it correctly in the first place.

This has nothing to do with what candidate you support, just don‘t be so obviously misleading. Otherwise you remind me of Churchill: “I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself”!

(You heard of Winston Churchill, I hope!)

Edited by yuyiinthesky

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

That‘s a good idea!

However the real question is why the ones making such graphs don‘t do it correctly in the first place.

This has nothing to do with what candidate you support, just don‘t be so obviously misleading. Otherwise you remind me of Churchill: “I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself”!

Why don't you find credible sources to support your claim that "the ones making such graphs don‘t do it correctly in the first place"? 

Until you do that, your are contesting referenced data with your own unreferenced speculation.

Edited by heybruce

2 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

That‘s a good idea!

Churchill also said;

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.”

...and...

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Oh, how right he was.

PS. If you're gonna be snarky you should really get the grammar right or else you'll look like a complete tool.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

That‘s a good idea!

I found it. Your hypothesis is not supported.

20200711_101219.png

Edited by candide

56 minutes ago, candide said:

I found it. Your hypothesis is not supported.

20200711_101219.png

Also of note.

According to John's Hopkins from the beginning of testing (around mid-Feb) to June 1st there were 20,041,656 tests conducted, or an average of 189,702 per day. Since June 1st, there have been 20,104,036 tests conducted, or an average of 515,488 per day. 
In other words, the US is doing three times the testing (and it's rising every day). They are also getting 1.58 times the positive results from it's pre-June height (39, 096 April 24 and 61,848 today). 300% testing, 150% positive results. 
Through the first 20 million tests, there were 109,083 fatalities. Through the 2nd 20 million tests, there have been 26, 711. 

On 7/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Not a single mention of the massive protest gatherings and riots going on over the last few weeks seeding and super spreading the virus. 

I'm sure that protests contributed to this spike. As did the reopening in many states, and as did the rallies where Trump's people ignored social distancing and people were being shamed for wearing masks. 

I think any time you have a large mass of people together you are going to run the risk of spread. There are other considerations though. The protests being outdoors, mostly in the day time, and with almost everybody wearing masks helps mitigate some of that risk. As does the fact that them being out there pretty much kept everyone else other than police out of those areas, and with others at home it reduced their risks. But I think it's safe to say that the protests had some effect. That doesn't explain the spike everyplace though. The protests began on May 26th. We didn't see a noticeable Covid spike until June 19th. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 1:16 AM, yuyiinthesky said:

If you just increase the testing and the virus is not more widespread, you will see an increase in both positive and negative results in equal measure. However that's not what is happening. An increasing percentage of those being tested are showing up positive. Hospitalizations are also increasing. Both those measures show that the virus is actually on the increase.

• Like 1

Arizona, California and Florida getting hammered (new cases).

Florida set a new record with ~ 15,300 new cases.

On May 20, 2020 Florida Governor was quite pleased with himself:

Edited by mtls2005