Pattaya: Muted response to the grand reopening of bars and clubs

webfact

Pattaya: Muted response to the grand reopening of bars and clubs

8pm1.jpg

Thai media was met with a muted response to the news that pubs and clubs in Pattaya would be allowed to reopen today. 

77kaoded talked to Phatcharin, 40, the owner of Star Bar 2 who accepted that the days of good profits were over, at least for now.

She was prepared to follow the new rules to the letter and was happy that the government was allowing her to finally open. 

8pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

But she was expecting few tourists in her bar.

However, being open was just better than staying closed - at least they could get in some money to help with paying the rent. 

She said that over the last few months she had had to get loans just to survive. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-01

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

no news on whether agogos are opening?

Most of the classics beers bars are not going to reopen today

i don't see any gogo to open in the next weeks, unless they

have a lot of money to lose, the customers are just not here

I think the bars can open at 5 today ?

I'm off to go do some (grocery) shopping. Curious to see how many alkies (alcoholics) are already lined up outside of their favourite "local" !

As for the landlords, they know they are sitting on cash cows and they know that the customers will come back (eventually). Probably not likely to come down on the rents only to see "business as per normal" a couple months later and end up stuck with leases worth a lot less than they would have been.

It used to be an issue on Walking Street where someone (foreigner usually but not always) would lease a property and sink a few million into it but when the lease was due, the owner would jack up the price to the point the leasee had to walk away.

Then the owner would find a new tenant, maybe at a somewhat higher lease rate than the previous one, and the dance would start again. (I've lost track of how many go-go bars closed down then re-opened in the same spot with a new name and decor and then closed down again a couple years later. It seems there are a couple almost every year, at least.)

Sheesh, one (Thai) guy I know that's been in the business for nearly 40 years had that happen to a couple places he was running and had been running for decades. 
Suddenly the lease came up on his go-go and he couldn't afford the new rate they wanted so he had to walk away. (And his own sister apparently is a part of the group that owned that property !)

Then the lease came up on a couple beer bars he'd been running for decades. The owner told him he was going to redevelop the properties into a new shopping mall. My friend had to walk away from that (and another place) as well.

Meanwhile, the go-go bar became a (poorly visited) "sports bar" and the beer bars are still beer bars, just with a different leasor it seems.

Just chatted with another friend that owns (leases with another friend actually) a beer bar on Walking Street. They aren't planning on opening tonight as they don't expect there'll be enough customers to make it worthwhile.

But I'm sure if they see lots of people waiting in line to get into the places that are open, they'll probably change their minds in a hurry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taxi said:

I was on walking street this morning at 11:00am, there was not a single car or truck delivering anything. Surprising, looks like WS opening is going to be a bit of a slow burn.

Walking street is an area mainly for the tourists

there is actualy no tourists in Thailand since months

so it's normal if it's quiet. I don't think any business is going to open

soon in Walking street, the rent are huges here, and if you have negociate a 

low rent during the closure, you don't want to be back at a full rent payement

as soon as you reopen if you are not sure you can do some money with your business first

The only rumour I heard was maybe Shark and Lighthouse opening today in Soi Cowboy, that seems pointless if the rest of the soi is closed. Doesn't look like any go go bars opening in Pattaya, unless some in LK Metro are brave, lack of mug punters is the key for go go bars, no fresh meat.

Clubs are opening tonight in BKK, glow in soi 23, but is a proper club with an underground vibe so maybe ok with expat and Thai crowd. Places like Insanity and Insomnia no point opening without tourists.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have had a few Gogo girls to my room from the dating sites. 

May I ask which dating sites you prefer?  I guess that I just did.  I've enjoyed meeting some "friends" on Thai Friendly over the years, but that ship seems to have sailed in large part.

6 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

May I ask which dating sites you prefer?  I guess that I just did.  I've enjoyed meeting some "friends" on Thai Friendly over the years, but that ship seems to have sailed in large part.

Since few weeks now Thaifriendly is packed as hell

and new ones are coming every day in numbers, an easy market actualy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Are the bars on Soi 6 reopening? 

few bars of the Nighwish group open today

from the FB of the ''boss'' yesterday

''We are opening the following bars first. (Many other bars owners are not going to open until the 8th (after the 2 day holiday closure 6th Asahna Bucha and 7th Buddhist Lent) or when tourists start arriving.)
Midnight hours will be enforced. We will open 1 hour earlier to counter this. 12pm - 12am.

Soi 6

Wrath bar
Toy box bar
Play pen
Pussy club
Kawaii bar
Sexy in the city

Soi chaiyaboon

Blue bar ''

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

few bars of the Nighwish group open today

from the FB of the ''boss'' yesterday

''We are opening the following bars first. (Many other bars owners are not going to open until the 8th (after the 2 day holiday closure 6th Asahna Bucha and 7th Buddhist Lent) or when tourists start arriving.)
Midnight hours will be enforced. We will open 1 hour earlier to counter this. 12pm - 12am.

Soi 6

Wrath bar
Toy box bar
Play pen
Pussy club
Kawaii bar
Sexy in the city

Soi chaiyaboon

Blue bar ''

Strange he didn't bother posting this on Pattaya News

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Interesting.  Maybe in Pattaya.  In Bangkok, maybe in quantity, but not in quality.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that over the last few months she had had to get loans just to survive. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

who accepted that the days of good profits were over, at least for now.

Obviously never saved for a rainy day !

6 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The only rumour I heard was maybe Shark and Lighthouse opening today in Soi Cowboy, that seems pointless if the rest of the soi is closed. Doesn't look like any go go bars opening in Pattaya, unless some in LK Metro are brave, lack of mug punters is the key for go go bars, no fresh meat.

Clubs are opening tonight in BKK, glow in soi 23, but is a proper club with an underground vibe so maybe ok with expat and Thai crowd. Places like Insanity and Insomnia no point opening without tourists.

Well, they'd get all the available punters, so it could be quite busy.