Marriage visa advice required

Hi

Im just back from a trip to Jomtien IO to try and extend my 90 day non o visa that expired on 30th May. After running around and getting extra copies that they asked for I was then told that the 400,000 THB that’s been in the account since February wasn’t sufficient because it’s a joint account with my wife so it should have been doubled (800K). 

They gave me a 60 day extension to open an account in my own name to transfer the money into, despite my telling them that BKK Bank require a 90 day visa as a minimum.

So off we trot to BKK where we already have 2 joint accounts only to be told I need a years visa, even after I explained to the same guy that he had already told me a 90 day visa was acceptable he wouldn’t budge. 

Im stuck now and have no idea how to move forward without leaving Thailand.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

As said try other banks - and don't just stick to Bangkok Bank.  Believe all/most Bangkok Banks require a letter from Embassy currently to cover the reason account is needed.  The alternative would be to use income or to have 800k in account.  Immigration is correct that account must be in your name only for 400k deposit extension.

In normal times you would also have the multi entry non immigrant O visa method which you obtain from Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh City that allows 90 day stays for a year just requiring you exit/return every 90 days or less.

• Like 2

Hi

I have managed to open an account at Krungsri bank and will be depositing the money tomorrow.

my concern now is that if I apply for my marriage visa 15 days before my 60 day extension expires the money will have only been in my bank for less than two months, actually even if I go on 29th Aug the date my 60 days expires, it would only have been in my account for 59 days.

not sure if this will be an issue.

Thanks for your help so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Try going to a different Bangkok bank branch. There is no requirement to have a long stay visa to open an account.

There is nothing on their website now regarding a foreigners Immigration status.

It used to state we welcome foreign tourists (VE, TV's) were perfectly acceptable.

I recently contacted BKK's Head Office about similar issues locally and was advised the branches can now impose their own requirements in addition to what the website states.

Trying other banks, branches is now the only alternative. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Next4467 said:

Hi

I have managed to open an account at Krungsri bank and will be depositing the money tomorrow.

my concern now is that if I apply for my marriage visa 15 days before my 60 day extension expires the money will have only been in my bank for less than two months, actually even if I go on 29th Aug the date my 60 days expires, it would only have been in my account for 59 days.

You don't have to apply 15 days before your 60 day extension expires, you can apply on the last day.

Hopefully the IO will show leniency given you followed their advice.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Try going to a different Bangkok bank branch. There is no requirement to have a long stay visa to open an account.

Yes.  Try another bank.  I opened a new account at the local Bangkok Bank 2 months ago to park my 400K.. They copied my passport but didn't show any interest in my visa..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Next4467 said:

Hi

Yes it will be an issue. Your application will be rejected again.

you can only apply once your money has been in the account for 60 days.

You may have to apply again for an extension. Your extension request will be refused but you will get another 7 days this should give enough time for you to apply again for a marriage extension with the money seasoned for 60 days.

alternatively immigration may allow you to apply a day late and just fine you 500 baht for a 1 day overstay. This option is very dependent on the immigration office, some allow it others don’t.

You will need to go to immigration near the time to extend and talk to an immigration officer to find out the policy of that office.

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes it will be an issue. Your application will be rejected again.

you can only apply once your money has been in the account for 60 days.

It is 2 months not 60 days. If it was counted as 60 days might be there for 60 days.

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You may have to apply again for an extension. Your extension request will be refused but you will get another 7 days this should give enough time for you to apply again for a marriage extension with the money seasoned for 60 days.

The 7 days is to leave the country. Normally it is not possible to apply for an extension during those 7 days.

If needed they may tell him to overstay for one day and then apply. Immigration often tell people that if they only need a few days.

• Like 1

Make sure you have all the details from immigration on what you have to do, because in some cases you may have to have the money in your name for 3 months still. And immigration may ask you to go to Loas so you can get a 3 month O extension.  Then you can then extend that to a 1 year marriage visa.  

11 minutes ago, Marcuss Wings said:

Make sure you have all the details from immigration on what you have to do, because in some cases you may have to have the money in your name for 3 months still. And immigration may ask you to go to Loas so you can get a 3 month O extension.  Then you can then extend that to a 1 year marriage visa.  

It's always been 2 months for extensions based on marriage.

In your case I would go back to Immigration, explain that you followed their advice to open a personal bank-account, but that it has taken 1-2 days to find a bank that would accept your 400K.

And that as a result you will not be able to show full 2 months even if you apply for the 1-year extension of stay on the very last day of the permission to stay your 60-day extension provided you.

If IO then tells you they will be lenient or only charge you a 1-day overstay fine, there won't be an issue anymore.

But if they tell you that they would NOT be willing to accept your 1-year extension of stay application because of the 400k not fully seasoned two months, you still have another option.

And that is to use the 40K monthly-income transfer method.  That method requires that you show monthly income transfers of +40K (with foreign origins proven) in the two months preceding your application.  So one transfer in July and one in August should be sufficient to meet the requirement when applying for the 1-year extension of stay by end of August.

But before embarking on that road you should enquire at your local IO if they would accept you doing that.  Because at some IOs they require 3 of such transfers (which would not be possible anymore in your case).  And some IOs also have some additional requirements when using that method, e.g. requiring a certified income-statement as proof of the source of the funds transferred.

What is your nationality?  In case you are not a citizen of US, UK or Australia, also a third method of meeting the financial requirements for your 1-year extension of stay might be an option.  And that's applying at your Embassy for an Affidavit or a certified Income Statement.

Can provide more details on that option, if the other alternatives are not accepted by your local IO.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:30 AM, lopburi3 said:

As said try other banks - and don't just stick to Bangkok Bank.  Believe all/most Bangkok Banks require a letter from Embassy currently to cover the reason account is needed.  The alternative would be to use income or to have 800k in account.  Immigration is correct that account must be in your name only for 400k deposit extension.

In normal times you would also have the multi entry non immigrant O visa method which you obtain from Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh City that allows 90 day stays for a year just requiring you exit/return every 90 days or less.

At my Bangkok Bank branch in Jomtien, I can open additional accounts without any documents at all. I just need my passport and bank book. Having a bank ~80 meters from immigration is never wrong. The easiest way to open an account there is using the Certificate of Residence from Immigration. 

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

At my Bangkok Bank branch in Jomtien, I can open additional accounts without any documents at all. I just need my passport and bank book. Having a bank ~80 meters from immigration is never wrong. The easiest way to open an account there is using the Certificate of Residence from Immigration. 

That is great but is not the norm.  Below is the current official policy statement and Embassy letter has become a prime factor here in Bangkok.

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

I believe you can do the following:

1. Go back to immigration on the last day of your 60 days. They either accept even if the account is only 59 days old, or they tell you to come back a day or two later. They will not charge you late fees. All the officers I met try to help if you are friendly and respectful. Go together with your Thai wife.

2. Prep all documents, particularly the photos outside house with house number and both of you, living room, bed room, all with both of you on it, no selfie! Marriage documents in Thai are mandatory too, of course.

3. Bring a (Thai) neighbour with you when you submit the docs, he or she serves as witness.

4. They will give you a 1 month visa to allow for time to check docs in Bangkok. All marriage visa applications have to be checked against the central family name registry in Bangkok. You will need to pay the fee then, 1900 Baht.

5. An immigration officer will visit your house during that month period to verify you actually live there.

6. Go back a month later on the exact date stamped in your passport, you will get your marriage visa extended by 11 month without further fee payment, which makes the total visa period 12 month.

7. Note that reentry or multiple entry visa for travelling outside of Thailand is not included, you must apply separately but can get it immediately after having obtained your marriage visa.

8. 2 month 400k in a Thai bank account is required for initial application, where the money comes from does not matter, but account must be your name only. Renewal of marriage visa requires 3 month funds above 400k prior to renewal. 

15 hours ago, Thalueng said:

4. They will give you a 1 month visa to allow for time to check docs in Bangkok. All marriage visa applications have to be checked against the central family name registry in Bangkok. You will need to pay the fee then, 1900 Baht.

It is not a visa. Immigration does not give visas in this circumstance it is an under consideration stamp.

The check is in your region immigration HQ, it may be Bangkok but probably not.

Renewal of marriage visa requires 3 month funds above 400k prior to renewal. 

You can never renew a visa. You can renew a permission to stay. The seasoning period is 2 months every time.

7. Note that reentry or multiple entry visa for travelling outside of Thailand is not included, you must apply separately but can get it immediately after having obtained your marriage visa.

It is not a visa. It is a re-entry permit.

which makes the total visa period 12 month.

Permission to stay, not a visa.

5. An immigration officer will visit your house during that month period to verify you actually live there.

1 or more (I had 4) will call to arrange a visit, we met in the local town, with a neighbour, for lunch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will still be read after this amount of time.

Sorry to go back to this but does this latest amnesty (until 27th Sept) solve my problem, can I wait until after my visa expires and then apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage at which time my money would have been in my own bank account for 60 days?

49 minutes ago, Next4467 said:

Not sure if this will still be read after this amount of time.

Sorry to go back to this but does this latest amnesty (until 27th Sept) solve my problem, can I wait until after my visa expires and then apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage at which time my money would have been in my own bank account for 60 days?

That would be possible if your local IO is willing to handle your application for the 1-year extension of stay.  But some IOs only want to do this when you are on a 'valid' permission to stay and not when on an Amnesty extension.

If you didn't use your 60-day extension of stay yet, you could first apply for that one, which would provide you with such a valid permission to stay, and then at the end of those 60 days apply for the 1-year extension of stay.

So best to enquire about your options at your local IO.

When your IO is not willing to handle your application for a 60-day or 1-year extension of stay, you could consider temporarily administratively relocating to a different province with a more accommodating IO.