Returning poor food at restaurant

OzMan

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But the Chili's are the best part.  Spicy is the way to go.  It only burns for a little while and you get a good sweat in.  Boosts the metabolism as well.

Not my post, tell the other guy.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Suspect food was pre-cooked, and just warmed up for customers.

Everyone is served from the same pot.

I wouldn't eat there again.

But the restaurant doesn't know why your not eating their. If you complain and tell them the problem then informing them you will not be eating their again. You must complain so the restaurant will know where they have gone wrong .

22 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But the restaurant doesn't know why your not eating their. If you complain and tell them the problem then informing them you will not be eating their again. You must complain so the restaurant will know where they have gone wrong .

Not in Thailand

they are not used to the complains

and even if someone dare to complain

usualy they don't care.

For the OP i never send back a plate in a restaurant

you never know what's happen in the kitchen and how far the cook is angry or not.

If the food is not good, i don't eat and never comeback,

but i alway try to do it simple for everybody at the begining

i order only something which is on the menu and i do not ask for any ''special'' change

there is too much lost in translation, plus the Thais waiters usualaly always say ''yes''

even when it's not possible then you never know what is the final result of your demand.

The biggest issue i can see in your post is your GF not standing at your side

in this case. It should be a red light for me.

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

I am struggling to understand why people would not go back to a restaurant that got one meal a bit too spicy.

I doubt you are going to order the same thing again. Some dishes are very spicy and if you can't stand the heat, just don't order them. Certainly 'not too spicy' to a Thai may well be way too hot for others.

• Like 2

Service in Thailand is completely hit & miss.... 

Whether or not I (we, Wife and I) draw attention to a mistake or send food back depends on the expectation of the restaurant in the first place and degree of the actual mistake. 

Each and every situation is different so there are no general rules. 

I have found the listening skills of the waiting staff many restaurants to be quite poor. I used to put this down to some grammatical or accent errors in my Thai. However, all to commonly, I fully understand what my Wife (Thai) has ordered and the waiter/waitress brings the wrong item: Conclusion; they didn’t understand, didn’t listen or forgot by the time the got to the kitchen and guessed !!!!

Sometimes, if we’re in a really simple place and receive the wrong food item we’ll just eat it. Other times we may highlight the mistake and ask for the correct order, this can be done politely with little fuss. 

In a higher end restaurant where expectations are also higher its best to speak with the head waiter / waitress about a complaint, the expectation that the staff will respond well to customer ‘interaction’ is also higher.

In the example the Op provided, the dish in inedible for him, he asked for ’no chillies’ - there is nothing wrong with the Op being polite and asking the waitress to switch out his dish without chillies. If its just 40 baht noodles - just order another bowl, but emphasise that you are ordering another because this one is too hot.

Regarding the Ops Girlfriend not wanting to make a fuss. This is not isolated towards demure Thai ladies, many Westerner feel uncomfortable instigating what could turn out to be a potential conflict. 

In this case the Ops girlfriend should have backed him up. But that also depends on the situation.

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I am struggling to understand why people would not go back to a restaurant that got one meal a bit too spicy.

I doubt you are going to order the same thing again. Some dishes are very spicy and if you can't stand the heat, just don't order them. Certainly 'not too spicy' to a Thai may well be way too hot for others.

The Op ordered the plate with no chillies, the dish came with chillies. This in itself is not a reason not to go back. But it is reason to have the dish changed. 

If everything else was ok - try the restaurant again, be more specific and ‘stress’ details in the order. 

If they can’t get this simple ‘aspect’ correct a second time, then don’t go back.

Waiters and waitresses is a very common situation in Thailand - its par for the course, even when my Wife orders something - When a waiter / waitress has a pad, things are much better. This simple addition (the pad) makes the difference. 

I can’t blame them, its a boring job, it must be hard to remain focused - the issue is simply from poor restaurant management - and poor training. The issue of receiving the wrong order is common in lower end places with a high turn over of staff. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op ordered the plate with no chillies, the dish came with chillies. This in itself is not a reason not to go back. But it is reason to have the dish changed. 

If everything else was ok - try the restaurant again, be more specific and ‘stress’ details in the order. 

If they can’t get this simple ‘aspect’ correct a second time, then don’t go back.

Waiters and waitresses is a very common situation in Thailand - its par for the course, even when my Wife orders something - When a waiter / waitress has a pad, things are much better. This simple addition (the pad) makes the difference. 

I can’t blame them, its a boring job, it must be hard to remain focused - the issue is simply from poor restaurant management - and poor training. The issue of receiving the wrong order is common in lower end places with a high turn over of staff. 

By way of example, If you order say tom yum soup, it is a spicy soup, otherwise it is not tom yum soup. So you would not order it with no chillies, if you do chances are you are going to get tom yum a spicy soup.

There are enough videos on YouTube what could happen if you complain about food in a restaurant. I personally have seen many restaurants and their staff and kitchens. Often it was a very shocking experience. After having been sick for almost 2 years because of food poisoning I avoid all of them. Not all of them are bad but you don't know witch one you should avoid until you get problems. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe it would be an individual thing, out with a farang, showing some status, not wanting to lose face.

As for less educated lower-middle background, my wife finished high school and would never accept an order that wasn't up to scratch, she would return it, politely, respectfully, and if anyone arked up, then they would see her otherside which I love....

I am the mane man! Lion appears to be like VERY happy with himself ...

First of all you've got the wrong pic. You don't want to be comparing your gal to a lioness with her heels up to a random strong male (males have manes, females don't and are smaller). Here you go:

image.jpeg.5781cf895283ca7230b37efeae6a465a.jpeg

In any case, I am sure your wife is different. But if she is lower-middle class with no more than high school, then really she isn't. She knows exactly her place. But you think the world of her which is all that matters.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

This is very much akin the the issue of taking leftovers home.

My wife is a coconut, brought up in Chicago.

But I remember the first time we took some of her relatives out to dinner in Thailand, at a medium scale restaurant, they were all horrified when we asked for boxes to take home the leftovers.

Now they ain't rich, and it seems to be much more of a problem for the poorer in Thai society to push back than the rich kids.

It blows my mind, you're basically dealing with kitchen staff for Gods sake

23 minutes ago, Why Me said:

First of all you've got the wrong pic. You don't want to be comparing your gal to a lioness with her heels up to a random strong male (males have manes, females don't and are smaller). Here you go:

image.jpeg.5781cf895283ca7230b37efeae6a465a.jpeg

In any case, I am sure your wife is different. But if she is lower-middle class with no more than high school, then really she isn't. She knows exactly her place. But you think the world of her which is all that matters.

Nicely summed up.

For the record, the picture of the loin (my wife) as opposed to a lioness was deliberate, you see, she turns into the Lion, and the male turns into the lioness on the floor in the picture I posted previously.

Trust you me, I know the difference between a Lioness and LIon, been here long enough to pick the lady's and ladyboys apart ????

• Like 1

@OzMan

If it's less than 100 baht, just forget about it. You probably won't get a meal for that price back in Australia.

Do note that they did cook you a meal , there is the cost of the food ingredients, cooking oil, workmanship etc.

Just don't go to that restaurant anymore. Anyway, the problem is not entirely theirs, it could be miscommunication.

Next time put it in writing so they can't argue. I believe Thai people when ordering food, they do write down the order like non-spicy, no chilli, no MSG etc.

I have done it in the past and never had any problem. Remember they can't remember everything if it is not put in writing.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I woulda booted the GF and gone shopping for a new one.

Alternatively next time eat at KFC and be sure not to order the 'spicy' chicken without chillies

Edited by 473geo

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I wouldn't feed that slop to a stay dog.

Yeah but some of us tire of a life with high quality food we enjoy, now and again we have change, and never yet seen anybody send KFC back, which appears to be the case in many of the high class restaurants of Tvisa posters choice, reading this thread

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Yeah but some of us tire of a life with high quality food we enjoy, now and again we have change, and never yet seen anybody send KFC back, which appears to be the case in many of the high class restaurants of Tvisa posters choice, reading this thread

Enjoy the slop.

• Haha 1