Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

In Thailand are schools allowed to make children get their hair cut?


Recommended Posts

I'm asking this because they're asking my 6 year old daughter to get her hair cut, It's not that long. I thought that the Thai gov. brought a rule in a few years ago saying that they couldn't do this against the wishes of the parent. Does anyone know anything about this before I go and confront the Director?

 If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen some articles where the teachers cut the hair of female students....What the reasons or circumstances were, I don't recall....

They didn't lop it real short, it still went down their back to about a bra line length.....

I was surprised, my wife wasn't....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Well it seems like the consensus is to get her haircut, and to keep the peace as I work there too I suppose she'll have her hair cut. bl**dy dinosaurs, to be expected of a feudal country I spose, one day they might even reach the 20th century, won't hold out any hope for the 21st...

shave it  all  off  in protest.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The high schools were I worked had a barber on site certain days and at the morning greeting lines some kids were pulled out and put in the barber line to be cut before the day started. I believe they also made the kids pay for it...maybe 20 baht or something like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be 6 or 7 years since the government removed the requirement for the girls to have their hair cut short. But then it was left up to the individual schools whether to continue with the rule.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest concern in this area was not that my daughters hair had to be trimmed to meet acceptable standards but that it had to be dyed/re-dyed black sometimes more than once a month if the roots began to show a different color.  Frequent hair coloring can be or is damaging to the hair over time.  Any natural color hair should be acceptable and forced dying should be banned.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The law was just flipped to allow all schools for boys and girls option to not cut their hair. But it left open a clause that allows school boards to allow a specific hairstyle for their school as long as it follows the regulations and conditions. The regulations are no perms, no bleach no facial hair.

 

Don't figure this was also made public in the royal Gazette.

 

Upon taking my daughter to school today I saw many boys that had been buzzed. I asked her if it was same at her school and she said yes. BS and an atrocity. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The uglification of children in full swing - still ......... how sad! At least now I know what they do with the kids for those 12 years of education as schooling is quite obviously not on the cards

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

My biggest concern in this area was not that my daughters hair had to be trimmed to meet acceptable standards but that it had to be dyed/re-dyed black sometimes more than once a month if the roots began to show a different color.  Frequent hair coloring can be or is damaging to the hair over time.  Any natural color hair should be acceptable and forced dying should be banned.

This begs the question: If any student doesn't have naturally black hair, are you saying the school forces them to to dye it?

What colour is your daughter's hair naturally?

What happens if a non-Thai with blonde hair attends this school?

 

edit: According to the soon-to-be-deleted link to the newspaper we can't mention, I just notice it said that according to the new regulation, students may not perm or dye their hair.

 

Edited by bluesofa
Addendum
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Zyphodb, just phoned my wife, she reckons it is at the discretion of the school director.

Best leave it alone mate, dont make waves for your daughters sake.

Indeed. They would likely make it hard for the child in revenge, IMO.

 

Good grief it's only hair. It grows back. Why even make a problem over a non issue? Some people just want to make life more difficult than it needs be.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The uglification of children in full swing - still ......... how sad! At least now I know what they do with the kids for those 12 years of education as schooling is quite obviously not on the cards

55555555555555555

You say that as though western schools educate kids instead of indoctrinating them with social justice BS.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The law was just flipped to allow all schools for boys and girls option to not cut their hair. But it left open a clause that allows school boards to allow a specific hairstyle for their school as long as it follows the regulations and conditions. The regulations are no perms, no bleach no facial hair.

 

Don't figure this was also made public in the royal Gazette.

 

Upon taking my daughter to school today I saw many boys that had been buzzed. I asked her if it was same at her school and she said yes. BS and an atrocity. 

My school mandated short back and sides, the military mandated short back and sides- oooh, how terrible that I had my hair cut. Scarred me for life obviously. 55555555555555555

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

It's part of the system: don't stand out, don't look different, don't act different, don't be an individual. Look the same = act the same = think the same. Be a nice quiet, accepting robot to make the various governments proud. Don't question, don't challenge... accept!

The world today was built by people educated like that. The children that leave western schools now only want to be rich and trendy and wouldn't get out of bed to do a real job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

My biggest concern in this area was not that my daughters hair had to be trimmed to meet acceptable standards but that it had to be dyed/re-dyed black sometimes more than once a month if the roots began to show a different color.  Frequent hair coloring can be or is damaging to the hair over time.  Any natural color hair should be acceptable and forced dying should be banned.

They would be thinking of her. Children bully anyone that is different. Happened in my schooldays and still does by all accounts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

you will antagonize the school and cause your child to "stand out" and look different from the other students.

Yes, good call.

 

You certainly wouldn't want her to be an individual with her own thoughts. Perish the thought!  🙂

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would take the following course of action. I would go to see the director for a one on one meeting. I would start by saying that I intend to comply. Then tell him or her why you thoroughly disagree with this edict. Comply for the sake of peace and the child. But state your views in private very vociferously.

 

Rooster

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

This begs the question: If any student doesn't have naturally black hair, are you saying the school forces them to to dye it?

What colour is your daughter's hair naturally?

What happens if a non-Thai with blonde hair attends this school?

 

edit: According to the soon-to-be-deleted link to the newspaper we can't mention, I just notice it said that according to the new regulation, students may not perm or dye their hair.

 

Our daughter in Maejo uni had to dye hers.....If you were to look at her hair in passing, you'd have to look hard to notice....But when she's in among a group it's more noticeable.....

Her natural hair color is dark, dark brown bordering black with a slight natural wave - but not black.....

She also has beautiful translucent copper eyes - they're just going to have to live with that part....

IMG_20200702_113134.jpg

Edited by pgrahmm
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Our daughter in Maejo uni had to dye hers.....If you were to look at her hair in passing, you'd have to look hard to notice....But when she's in among a group it's more noticeable.....

Her natural hair color is dark, dark brown bordering black with a slight natural ware - but not black.....

She also has beautiful translucent copper eyes - they're just going to have to live with that part....

Surely that could be seen as 'colourist' if that's not the natural hair colour.

BHM  Black Hair Matters - if yours isn't, you don't matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...