Jump to content

In Thailand are schools allowed to make children get their hair cut?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I dyed my hair blue and pink and went to school. 2 sadety pins in, ear and cheek. . Nobody really cared about it in the 70ies in a small town. Imagine. Bold and old today but still a rebel.

Now we are in 2020, and they still keep on ruling this rubbish.

Edited by Deli
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moved to the Family and Children forum.   Schools where I am require students to cut their hair very short, always have.   I seem to recall reading something recently -- as in this

Zyphodb, just phoned my wife, she reckons it is at the discretion of the school director. Best leave it alone mate, dont make waves for your daughters sake.

Well it seems like the consensus is to get her haircut, and to keep the peace as I work there too, I suppose she'll have her hair cut. bl**dy dinosaurs, to be expected of a feudal country I spose, one

Posted Images

The "trims" might be a result of the "militarization" of schools that occurred years and years ago.  There are no doubt social historians who will have a grasp of this.

 

This sort of debate about hair styles is not exclusively Thai at all. Further, conforming to simple customs like this is normal in most cultures.

 

I agree very strongly with the numerous comments suggesting to lighten up to benefit the child's welfare.

 

I also suggest that if foreigners can't abide by some basic local customs than they should reconsider if they have chosen the right place to live happily  consistent with their particular likes and dislikes.  This isn't Kansas, Dorothy!

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, Sheryl said:

Moved to the Family and Children forum.

 

Schools where I am require students to cut their hair very short, always have.

 

I seem to recall reading something recently -- as in this year, not years ago -- to the effect that it would no longer be mandatory but it is still widely practiced.

 

You would in my opinion do your child a great disservice to make an issue out of this. Even if you succeed, you will antagonize the school and cause your child to "stand out" and look different from the other students.

What a ridiculous reply this was. Paraphrased it says just be a little sheep and go along to get along. Don't make waves regardless of what they do. You and your child don't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. Just shut up and go along with whatever. Must have been written by a leftist, socialist, democrap.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kurtf said:

What a ridiculous reply this was. Paraphrased it says just be a little sheep and go along to get along. Don't make waves regardless of what they do. You and your child don't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things. Just shut up and go along with whatever. Must have been written by a leftist, socialist, democrap.

Actually this is a more than ridiculous reply from you.

It is not about anyone's politics, it is about protecting your child from the workings of the Thai school system (which you obviously are ignorant about).

No matter what the Ministry say, or what rules are written, school head's and teachers do whatever they see fit. If children do not comply there is corporal punishment, forced hair cutting in front of the other pupils, rampant bullying, and many other punishments. Of course this is not everywhere, but definitely in the majority.

So why would any father want to put your own child through humiliation like this, and sometimes complaining can make it worse (which is why many kids with foreign fathers are sent to international/or private schools).

If you are a father who would put their child through this, then I feel sad for your child, not having a protective parent.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, Sheryl said:

You would in my opinion do your child a great disservice to make an issue out of this. Even if you succeed, you will antagonize the school and cause your child to "stand out" and look different from the other students.

Well said and spot on!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...