Sushi that STINKS

Sundown

I tried at least 3 times buying sushi (the one in transparent box) at Central and all 3 times the fish had a smell that was a mix of sewage and my garbage with rotten eggs in it after 1 week. 

Lately I've been at a sushi place, Thai owned but not one of those poorly made. A real restaurant with 5 stars reviews. The salmon smelled the same. I told the waiter that the fish is not good and they said they could use the flame on it LOL. I said, ok well go on!!!

I'm not an expert in fish but I really doubt that Central is selling rotten fish. Is the garbage smell depending on the plastic container, humidity and so on? Or it is actually rotten?

• Like 2

Typical situation for cheap premade sushi/rolls. Usually in restaurants fish is very fresh and never smell bad, of course it is not that cheap. 

First sign of old fish on sushi: salmon looks glitter, there is internal fat on top, next stage is bad smell. 

Edited by clearance

45 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I buy a whole salmon to create my own Sashimi and Sushi. There should be no off smell.

From what I've read (again, I'm no expert) the raw fish used for sashimi has to undergo a process of freeze at low temperatures otherwise it's not suitable to be eaten as it is? I've always wanted to try but kinda scared so I always end up preparing rolls with smoked salmon .

I would never eat any raw fish in Thailand or any other country with doubtful hygiene. Also., Those stalls where you can choose your own sushi in Central and elsewhere are absolutely disgusting.  

44 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

When I first encountered sushi, many years ago back in the UK, I remember being told never to buy it unless freshly made and refrigerated. 

Ive never seen that here in Thailand. 

27 minutes ago, geisha said:

I would never eat any raw fish in Thailand or any other country with doubtful hygiene. Also., Those stalls where you can choose your own sushi in Central and elsewhere are absolutely disgusting.  

I'm not speaking about stalls. I'm speaking about Central inside Tops Market. Of course stalls sushi look disgusting and dangerous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sundown said:

I'm not speaking about stalls. I'm speaking about Central inside Tops Market. Of course stalls sushi look disgusting and dangerous.

I don't eat sushi, but I have been buying sashimi from Tops in CF two or three times a week since lockdown, sometimes early evening, when they reduce the price. So far so good. Of course I always add a dab of wasabi to each bite (it is reputed to avoid any issues with the fish).

Sushi vendors at markets & street stalls usually display their ready-made food items to open air and often without being cover. These are 'raw' food items that are highly suceptible to contamination.

I won't eat anything that is pre-made and displayed with no awareness to food-safety protocol.

• 11 months later...

If it smells bad it probably is bad.

Selling bad sushi is common here. A lot of the locals either don't realise when it's bad or don't care. Stick with Japanese restaurants/groceries for good sushi. Aji at the top of Big C Ekkamai and Donki mall on the corner of Thong Lo 10 and Ekkamai both have good quality sushi and are significantly cheaper than the Thai places.

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, Sundown said:

all 3 times the fish had a smell that was a mix of sewage and my garbage with rotten eggs in it after 1 week

Uhm, and you don't see a problem with that....? I would not keep a fish for a week I intended to cook, let alone eat raw.

I've eaten sushi for 40 years, but now that I know what I know will never eat it outside of Japan. Sure as he11 not from a Thai, nor a Mexican at Benni Hana in the Texas,. Their knowledge is 1% of a Japanese sushi chef. Sushi is not something to be messed with. Bought and prepared properly, it is extremely safe; prepared by a poorly trained person, deadly.

Just a few years back some idiots were taking blowfish (fugu) and dying it and selling it as salmon. A number of people died.

Friend of mine, despite my warning, bought sashimi and nigiri sushi at Fuji in BKK. Spent the next ten days on the toilet.

The only fish that can be served without prior freezing is tuna. I've asked "chefs" in LOS if the buri (what most people call hamachi or yellowtail), is fresh or frozen and they say fresh. No thank you.

The process of becoming a chef in Japan takes seven years; the first two an apprentice is not even allowed to touch a fish.

A Japanese chef sells his purchase the same day he buys it. One week? You're lucky to be alive....

On 7/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, CorpusChristie said:
On 7/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, CaptainCarrot said:

Of course I always add a dab of wasabi to each bite (it is reputed to avoid any issues with the fish).

I doubt you are adding wasabi. You're adding horseradish with green dye, which has zero antiseptic qualities.

Real wasabi I have never seen in LOS, and it does have antiseptic properties, but not ant-parasitical properties.

9 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I doubt you are adding wasabi. You're adding horseradish with green dye, which has zero antiseptic qualities.

Real wasabi I have never seen in LOS, and it does have antiseptic properties, but not ant-parasitical properties.

Some decent Japanese restaurants have it, other have it slightly pickled...   awesome stuff !!

With regards to the fish, I too have wondered in the Sashimi and Sushi sold in the regular stores (like central etc) is actually Sushi-grade - which means that it has been caught, bled and gutted and quickly put on ice immediately - its considered safe to eat raw... Sushi-Sashimi-safe has also been used commonly as a marketing ploy and can mislead when its not safe to eat the raw fish. 

As with anything raw, there are always risks....  but realistically there is little risk with raw-fish freshly chilled or frozen fish.