If the visa amnesty is not extended, which countries look appealing ?

1 minute ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

You stated in your OP ''and you have to leave Thailand ''

Surely that is the same thing as being forced, is it not??

No, you were granted permission for temporary stay in the kingdom
the duration of stay has already been extended to allow you sufficient time to leave
there is no Force being used to get everyone out, there is no cull
you can just as easy stay if you wish and suffer the consequences later
but enough on this off topic subject

Can you actually fly anywhere out of Thailand at the moment ? My friend was due to fly to the UK on British Airways in June, they postponed to 2nd July, then 2nd August and this weekend he got an email saying it would now be September but his medical insurance has expired and he needs to return but he's already paid BA for his flight. (He is 80 this year and so far has been unable to buy insurance without it costing him an arm and a leg, pun intended !)

If there are no flights in to Thailand are airlines going to fly here empty to take people to the 26 allowed countries or any other countries ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Can you actually fly anywhere out of Thailand at the moment ? My friend was due to fly to the UK on British Airways in June, they postponed to 2nd July, then 2nd August and this weekend he got an email saying it would now be September but his medical insurance has expired and he needs to return but he's already paid BA for his flight. (He is 80 this year and so far has been unable to buy insurance without it costing him an arm and a leg, pun intended !)

If there are no flights in to Thailand are airlines going to fly here empty to take people to the 26 allowed countries or any other countries ?

Yes, plenty of flights OUT of Thailand, limited days and airlines,
and of course you still run the risk of cancellations

32 minutes ago, innosiem said:

Exactly, we all should be planning for all possibilities 
see the links above for more info,
Many countries do not require testing or quarantine, if you can find and afford the flights to reach them

I reviewed the IATA map - but are you (or anyone) aware of any link to a site that includes projections based on dates some countries have set, when incoming-travel will be permitted again - and with what restrictions?

I haven't had much luck with web-searches - mostly old and useless info.

Edit:  I missed this one up-thread - has some "opening soon":
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Appealing?

Not sure.

Any country have a flourishing sex industry at low prices?

no silly c-19 rules etc. is appealing to me
i don't think you will find many industries flouring right now in any country
sorry, except PPE industry ????‍♂️

i wouldn't mind sitting on a beach in Zanzibar for a few weeks
just got to watch out for goats and paw paws with covid lol

Edited by innosiem

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I reviewed the IATA map - but are you (or anyone) aware of any link to a site that includes projections based on dates some countries have set, when incoming-travel will be permitted again - and with what restrictions?

I haven't had much luck with web-searches - mostly old and useless info.

Edit:  I missed this one up-thread - has some "opening soon":
https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

Yeh, not really found any source that is fully up to date, especially for announced dates etc.

Yeh, gaming probably killing it too right now
and Grab, foodpanda and LineMan
(these platforms are so bad for the people working with them and the economy)
but i do also know people that sell online,
who have just recently stopped due to drop in sales
making it not worth their time

edited it for you????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Flights are still happening, some being filled with cargo
The 26 or so countries that currently have no restrictions are not necessarily the places you can fly to from BKK
so may require you to transit through other countries to reach them
many countries allow you to transit but not enter

Example:
Bangkok to Tanzania
you fly via Ethiopia

12 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Spain Phillipines Malta vietnam portugal Maroco Brasil..

How ?

Spain 
Foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Spain. From June 21, 2020, this policy does not apply to persons arriving from countries or regions in the European Union (with the exception of Portugal), countries or regions associated with the Schengen Area, or the United Kingdom. Further exemptions exist for persons engaged in the transportation of cargo, diplomatic staff and consular agents accredited in Spain and travelling in the course of their official duties, and people who normally reside on Spanish territory. All persons arriving in Spain from outside the EU, a Schengen-associated country or region, or the United Kingdom must undergo a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Spain's land border with Portugal is closed to non-essential traffic until at least July 1, 2020.

Phillipines 
From March 22, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering the Philippines. This policy does not apply to foreign spouses and children of Filipino citizens, diplomatic officials, and those working for international organizations. From March 19, 2020, the Philippine government has suspended the issuing of new visas and all existing visa-free entry arrangements are suspended. All persons (including Filipino nationals) granted entry to the Philippines must undergo a 14-day quarantine at a designated facility.

Malta
From June 15, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Malta. Beginning July 1, 2020, international flights will gradually resume from the following countries / regions: Austria, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Sardinia, Sicily, Slovakia, and Switzerland.

Vietnam 
From March 22, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Vietnam. This policy does not apply to diplomats and persons traveling for official or particular purposes such as participants in crucial international events, foreign experts, business managers, high-skilled workers, etc. All persons (including Vietnamese nationals) entering Vietnam must undergo examination for COVID-19 and quarantine at a designated facility. This policy does not apply to diplomats, persons traveling for official purposes, and Vietnamese nationals holding diplomatic or official passports. The Vietnamese government has suspended visa-free arrangements pertaining to Vietnamese nationals residing overseas and their family members.

Portugal 
From June 15, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Portugal. This policy does not apply to persons arriving from countries or regions in the European Union (with the exception of Spain), Canada, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, and all Portuguese-speaking countries / regions. Portugal’s land border with Spain is closed to non-essential traffic until at least July 1, 2020.

Morocco 
From April 25, 2020, a nationwide curfew is in effect. All international flights are suspended. This policy does not apply to cargo flights.

Brazil
From March 30, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Brazil. This policy does not apply to persons falling into one of the following categories:
(1) Brazilian citizens, born or naturalized;
(2) Permanent residents;
(3) Foreign professionals employed by a non-governmental aid organization recognized by the Brazilian government;
(4) Foreign officials accredited by the Brazilian government;
(5) Spouses, domestic partners, sons or daughters, fathers or mothers, or caregivers of a Brazilian citizen;
(6) Any person whose entrance into Brazil is deemed by the government to be in the public interest;
(7) Travelers in transit in one of the following categories: 
      (a) Cargo delivery;
      (b) International passengers making a connection who do not leave the international transit area;
      (c) Passengers required to disembark for aircraft refueling or repairs;
      (d) Flight crews.

17 minutes ago, innosiem said:

How ?

Spain 
Foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Spain. From June 21, 2020, this policy does not apply to persons arriving from countries or regions in the European Union (with the exception of Portugal), countries or regions associated with the Schengen Area, or the United Kingdom. Further exemptions exist for persons engaged in the transportation of cargo, diplomatic staff and consular agents accredited in Spain and travelling in the course of their official duties, and people who normally reside on Spanish territory. All persons arriving in Spain from outside the EU, a Schengen-associated country or region, or the United Kingdom must undergo a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Spain's land border with Portugal is closed to non-essential traffic until at least July 1, 2020.

Phillipines 
From March 22, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering the Philippines. This policy does not apply to foreign spouses and children of Filipino citizens, diplomatic officials, and those working for international organizations. From March 19, 2020, the Philippine government has suspended the issuing of new visas and all existing visa-free entry arrangements are suspended. All persons (including Filipino nationals) granted entry to the Philippines must undergo a 14-day quarantine at a designated facility.

Malta
From June 15, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Malta. Beginning July 1, 2020, international flights will gradually resume from the following countries / regions: Austria, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Sardinia, Sicily, Slovakia, and Switzerland.

Vietnam 
From March 22, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Vietnam. This policy does not apply to diplomats and persons traveling for official or particular purposes such as participants in crucial international events, foreign experts, business managers, high-skilled workers, etc. All persons (including Vietnamese nationals) entering Vietnam must undergo examination for COVID-19 and quarantine at a designated facility. This policy does not apply to diplomats, persons traveling for official purposes, and Vietnamese nationals holding diplomatic or official passports. The Vietnamese government has suspended visa-free arrangements pertaining to Vietnamese nationals residing overseas and their family members.

Portugal 
From June 15, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Portugal. This policy does not apply to persons arriving from countries or regions in the European Union (with the exception of Spain), Canada, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, and all Portuguese-speaking countries / regions. Portugal’s land border with Spain is closed to non-essential traffic until at least July 1, 2020.

Morocco 
From April 25, 2020, a nationwide curfew is in effect. All international flights are suspended. This policy does not apply to cargo flights.

Brazil
From March 30, 2020, foreign nationals are prohibited from entering Brazil. This policy does not apply to persons falling into one of the following categories:
(2) Permanent residents;
(3) Foreign professionals employed by a non-governmental aid organization recognized by the Brazilian government;
(5) Spouses, domestic partners, sons or daughters, fathers or mothers, or caregivers of a Brazilian citizen;
(6) Any person whose entrance into Brazil is deemed by the government to be in the public interest;
      (a) Cargo delivery;
      (b) International passengers making a connection who do not leave the international transit area;
      (d) Flight crews.

Dang ! So those  one direction around the world  tickets are   gone ! 

• Sad 1

Be aware that no one believes Tanzania’s claim that they are corona virus free.  They likely have a major outbreak and are just ignoring it.  Read some of the foreign government travel warnings before deciding to go there.  Its not a country I would like to get sick in.

• Thanks 1

@DrJack54. lol. here was a time when  it was possible  to  buy a "around the  world" ticket  which I think was  valid for  12  months which specified  only  onward travel until ending in point of  origin. Distance covered was  very economical. Not that I  tried  it so I  don't  know  of  what  complexities were involved  with  visas  etc.

1 hour ago, innosiem said:

How ?

Spain 

Phillipines 

Malta

Vietnam 

Portugal 

Morocco 

Brazil
(2) Permanent residents;
      (a) Cargo delivery;
      (d) Flight crews.

He’s from the Uk so he flies first back to the Uk and transfers there to another sunny destination!! Why u put somuch effort into keeping him in Thailand? Doesn’t he have any other possible option ????????

18 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Right. Thee question posed was will they use this as an opportunity to force many foreigners to leave knowing full well many will struggle or find it impossible to come back?

Yes 

If you'r looking for a place to retire to, have a look at Portugal.  Great weather (much better than gloomy old UK) and of course, at the moment you don't need to worry about a Visa........at the moment!  Algarve is the best holiday place and of course the Port (both red and white) are outstanding!  Good luck.

Of those 26 or so countries, how many are open to receiving Americans, I wonder? A friend of mine in southern California told me it's just as easy as ever to cross into Mexico. I have family in San Diego living right on the border, so I'm considering booking a flight to LA from Bangkok, getting a ride down to San Diego, spending a week or two with family and then taking my talents to Rosarito lol...

Still, I'd rather avoid having to go back to the U.S. at all, if I'm being honest. For places like Ukraine, Turkey, Greece or even Tanzania, I'm curious to see if they still have restrictions on American travel. I'm guessing the answer is "yes". 

56 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Yes 

Finally a straight answer. 

They are in a position where they could do it aren't they, pretty scary really, or it will be to some.

To clarify, you may have to leave the country by X date, if not on an extension of stay, say July 31, and then have a major headache to get back in?? Me being on a 1 yr non 0 based on marriage could be one of them.

Edited by Keyser Soze666

Thanks for starting this topic.

I was asking myself the last few weeks...

Where to go if Thailand like to use this opertunity.

I heard a line in a serie on Netflix " rule one in politics. Never let a good crisis go to waist" (Ozark)

That made sense back then, and still does.

I am married with Thai lady.

My marriage visa is for the Thai Embassy in Netherlands a "marriage visa" according to the immigration in Udon Thani, it's not...

Valid to February 2021, but needs 3 months reporting and apparently according to the local office, a lot more.

We will see in August.

If I do temporary need to leave Thailand, my first choice would be the neighbors, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar.

That is for short time.

If it needs to be longer (a few months) Ukraine is really high on my list.

In the past I had plans of moving there.

I saw Mexico is "open".

My friend lives there.

The infection rate is high, and the government is making new restrictions every day to try to get a grasp on the situation.

In short: it's BAD.

South America looks great to me also. Amazon Rainforest must be amazing.

I like nature.

Never been much of a party guy. Guess that's why I'm in Isaan and not Pattaya ????

South America sounds great, sadly Corona is having a party there. Brazil is taking the lead..

I have some lung issues, it will be a miracle if I would survive Covid infection.

Ukraine is good alternative for me.

With relative low infection rate.

That is, if it is really need to leave for longer period of time.

20 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

But that's not what I'm saying is it, I'm saying would they force farang to leave knowing full well what a ballache or if not an impossibility it would be to get back in?

And I highly doubt other countries ask for 100k insurance for starters..

I don't think the powers that be really want Westerners here now as they keep making it more difficult for us to stay in Thailand. We are undesirable because we understand and can explain democracy. But I also don't think there would be many people who would care if we were culled out - except maybe go-go bar owners. ????????????

1 hour ago, sirquest007 said:

Thanks for starting this topic.

I was asking myself the last few weeks...

Where to go if Thailand like to use this opertunity.

I heard a line in a serie on Netflix " rule one in politics. Never let a good crisis go to waist" (Ozark)

That made sense back then, and still does.

I am married with Thai lady.

My marriage visa is for the Thai Embassy in Netherlands a "marriage visa" according to the immigration in Udon Thani, it's not...

Valid to February 2021, but needs 3 months reporting and apparently according to the local office, a lot more.

We will see in August.

If I do temporary need to leave Thailand, my first choice would be the neighbors, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar.

That is for short time.

If it needs to be longer (a few months) Ukraine is really high on my list.

In the past I had plans of moving there.

I saw Mexico is "open".

My friend lives there.

The infection rate is high, and the government is making new restrictions every day to try to get a grasp on the situation.

In short: it's BAD.

South America looks great to me also. Amazon Rainforest must be amazing.

I like nature.

Never been much of a party guy. Guess that's why I'm in Isaan and not Pattaya ????

South America sounds great, sadly Corona is having a party there. Brazil is taking the lead..

I have some lung issues, it will be a miracle if I would survive Covid infection.

Ukraine is good alternative for me.

With relative low infection rate.

That is, if it is really need to leave for longer period of time.

Ukraine is actually an interesting idea, not far from Thailand and not too hot in summer and some real eye candy there. How is Covid there and do Brits need a visa to get in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jatujan said:

Of those 26 or so countries, how many are open to receiving Americans, I wonder? A friend of mine in southern California told me it's just as easy as ever to cross into Mexico. I have family in San Diego living right on the border, so I'm considering booking a flight to LA from Bangkok, getting a ride down to San Diego, spending a week or two with family and then taking my talents to Rosarito lol...

Still, I'd rather avoid having to go back to the U.S. at all, if I'm being honest. For places like Ukraine, Turkey, Greece or even Tanzania, I'm curious to see if they still have restrictions on American travel. I'm guessing the answer is "yes". 

None. Americans are not welcome globally. EU has banned them.

Thankfully.

3 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

I am American and was wondering if the EU ban applies to all Americans, or Americans arriving from the USA.  Because I have not been in the USA for a long time. 

There is no EU rule for every country in it. It can still vary by country as of today.

Click a few countries here to find what their rules are. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Like 1