If the visa amnesty is not extended, which countries look appealing ?

19 hours ago, problemfarang said:

i think it wont be any problem to leave thailand at the end of this month.. The question is can we get back in...

Nobody is questioning this, flights are going out of Thailand, i have a valid visa til November,
i am more looking to sit it out somewhere for few weeks/months
that have not gone batsh!t crazy with pointless rules
i would prefer to be somewhere where i can see smiling faces and can enter shops without a muzzle????

19 hours ago, EbhB said:

Personally I'd like to visit some of the countries that have NOT gone insane!

Exactly, this is my attitude also. will check out Serbia and Belarus.

Good topic! I've been looking for this info.
My current situation is that I entered Thailand on another tourist visa after doing a quick trip to Phnom Penh. I'm married to a local but have just been doing the 1 month landing visa + 60 day extension because I've been back and forth between Thailand and Vietnam over the last year or so and it was just easier.

However, on the most recent entry to Thailand I was led into the immigration room and told that I wasn't welcome and would have to do a 1 year marriage visa. I eventually talked them into letting me stay for 30 days, and then got that extended at the local immigration office for 60 days without any hassle.

Then the virus amnesty started so I'm safe till end of this month.

I was hoping that Vietnam would be open by then and I could just go and stay there and work on my business again. However, that doesn't look likely now and there are rumors that the borders will be shut till September...

I really don't want to go home to Australia and self quarantine for 2 weeks staying with one of my relatives. The internet there is terrible and I'll probably lose a lot of my current income (online teaching).
I've read good things about Georgia and was actually planning to visit some time this year, so that might be an option. The problem is that there aren't any direct flights from Thailand - so I'm not sure if it's possible to go there now. They have automatic 12 month visas on arrival, great food, friendly locals, cheap cost of living and great wine. 

Otherwise I might need to look into Istanbul. That would be a totally different change of scenery after living in SE Asia for the last 13 years..!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pubba said:

Good topic! I've been looking for this info.
My current situation is that I entered Thailand on another tourist visa after doing a quick trip to Phnom Penh. I'm married to a local but have just been doing the 1 month landing visa + 60 day extension because I've been back and forth between Thailand and Vietnam over the last year or so and it was just easier.

However, on the most recent entry to Thailand I was led into the immigration room and told that I wasn't welcome and would have to do a 1 year marriage visa. I eventually talked them into letting me stay for 30 days, and then got that extended at the local immigration office for 60 days without any hassle.

Then the virus amnesty started so I'm safe till end of this month.

I was hoping that Vietnam would be open by then and I could just go and stay there and work on my business again. However, that doesn't look likely now and there are rumors that the borders will be shut till September...

I really don't want to go home to Australia and self quarantine for 2 weeks staying with one of my relatives. The internet there is terrible and I'll probably lose a lot of my current income (online teaching).
I've read good things about Georgia and was actually planning to visit some time this year, so that might be an option. The problem is that there aren't any direct flights from Thailand - so I'm not sure if it's possible to go there now. They have automatic 12 month visas on arrival, great food, friendly locals, cheap cost of living and great wine. 

Otherwise I might need to look into Istanbul. That would be a totally different change of scenery after living in SE Asia for the last 13 years..!

Why not fly to istanbul, stay a week, enjoy the place, then head to Georgia? U can fly with Pegasus for quite cheap

Edited by samisaurus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samisaurus said:

Why not fly to istanbul, stay a week, enjoy the place, then head to Georgia? U can fly with Pegasus for quite cheap

Why not fly to Istanbul, stay a week, buy a magic carpet, then head to Georgie without Pegasus?

I also thought those 2 countries sounded best.

But maybe we should be discussing countries in Nov if amnesty gets extended 3 months.

I wouldn't fancy my chances in Tbilisi with a chang tanktop and flip flops. Maybe Turkey isn't as cold.

1 hour ago, finy said:

I also thought those 2 countries sounded best.

But maybe we should be discussing countries in Nov if amnesty gets extended 3 months.

I wouldn't fancy my chances in Tbilisi with a chang tanktop and flip flops. Maybe Turkey isn't as cold.

By then i think come November, surrounding countries shouldve opened and hopefully people can hop over to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samisaurus said:

By then i think come November, surrounding countries shouldve opened and hopefully people can hop over to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia.

But will they be able to hop back without the ridiculous restrictions in place at the moment? That is the question on everyone's lips for August 1 or September 1 or even November or December 1, whenever there is a semblance of normality.

• Like 1