Gloves or no gloves.

Just seen some Korean work gloves in a 20B store.

I've been working for years with no gloves and my wife asks why my hand are so soft compared to her's. 

When I look at Youtube they always wear gloves on the "I build AMG engines" kind of videos but I've managed without for years.

What about you guys working on bikes? Gloves or no gloves?

I use those rubber coated textile gloves when I have a very dirty or messy job to do. For example, when restoring an old Kawa AR80, the amount of decades old dirt and grease made wearing those gloves a welcomed necessity. 
During welding jobs I wear thick leather gloves. 

Wear gloves to limit your exposure to the chemicals in gas and oil.  When I don't, my hands smell bad for days. 

On another note, since you work on motorbikes...do you know what happens to crashed bikes here in Thailand?  I'm thinking of building my own buggy either 2 or 4 wheel drive powered by a motorcycle engine.  I plan to use it around the village and do not plan to license it for the road.  I'm thinking of a 250 CC engine maybe larger but I cannot find any junkyards online or any separate engines advertised on Craigslist, BahtSold, or Kaidee.  

43 minutes ago, MarcIssan said:

Wear gloves to limit your exposure to the chemicals in gas and oil.  When I don't, my hands smell bad for days.

Done the lot? Lubricating oil, Diesel, Gasoline, Kerosene, soluble oil, ATF, trichloroethylene, mercury, paint thinners, FAB.

That's why my hands are so soft. ????

No you have soft hands just like me. All my life, O your hands are so soft, it is a genetic thing. I have worn gloves and not worn gloves. As a young sailor on the ship there were not to many cloves unless it was a very dangerous job like heaving mooring lines or especially wire rope lines very dangerous work. Have had my arms up to the elbows in solvents, oil and what ever around compressors and pumps over the years. Years ago rubber gloves were not an option. My hands are still nice and smooth and soft even after years of handball. Handball had no affect on the skin but made the underlying tissue hard. Soft smooth hands do not complain

2 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

On another note, since you work on motorbikes...do you know what happens to crashed bikes here in Thailand?  I'm thinking of building my own buggy either 2 or 4 wheel drive powered by a motorcycle engine.  I plan to use it around the village and do not plan to license it for the road.  I'm thinking of a 250 CC engine maybe larger but I cannot find any junkyards online or any separate engines advertised on Craigslist, BahtSold, or Kaidee.  

There are some on Faceboook Marketplace.

I am used to wearing gloves due to offshore work, where it is standard. Old habit now. Just feels strange without.

But I don,t wear a hard hat, just in case anybody gets the idea asking. 

• Like 1