New swine flu not an immediate threat, says virologist

snoop1130

By The Nation

800_03e983b3b845717.jpg

Though the new swine flu, G4 EA H1N1, has the potential of transmitting to humans and turning into a new pandemic, Dr Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist at Chulalongkorn University, said it is not an immediate problem and there is no reason to panic yet.

The G4 EA H1N1 virus, a mutation of the H1N1 virus which first hit the world in 2009, was recently found in the Chinese swine industry.

After 2009, the swine flu virus combined with Eurasian avian-like influenza virus and was found to infect pigs’ guts. This was identified as the G1 type of virus, which has now mutated to G4, the doctor said.

Since the latest version of the virus is new, people may have little or no immunity to it.

According to the BBC, scientists have written in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) journal that measures to control the virus and close monitoring of swine industry workers should be swiftly implemented.

Studies have also shown that the virus can grow and multiply in the cells that line human airways.

The virologist said the virus still hasn’t leapt to humans and though there are no vaccines for it yet, the research industry is monitoring it.

“The news broke when Chinese officials offered information to researchers who published their work in the PNAS journal. This a long-standing, in-depth study. I wish Thailand could also conduct studies like this, but it would require a lot of money,” Dr Yong said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390612

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-01

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Same as COVID - no evidence of human to human transmission.

I think their required evidence for human to human transmission is when a full city becomes infected.

That was my thoughts also

39 minutes ago, timendres said:

Why was this virus reported so eagerly, when Corona-SARS-2 was not?

Don't tell me "The Chinese learned their lesson with Corona-SARS-2".

They learned that lesson with SARS.

What is Corona-SARS-2 ???

SARS-CoV - 2003 outbreak in Asia: >8000 cases / 774 Deaths worldwide

MERS-CoV - 2012 outbreak in the Middle East: ±2494cases / 858 Deaths worldwide

Both were big news and well reported, although there was not the same mass hysteria we have encountered with SARS-CoV-2, perhaps because the numbers for SARS-CoV-2 have been far far greater. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Both were big news and well reported, although there was not the same mass hysteria we have encountered with SARS-CoV-2, perhaps because the numbers for SARS-CoV-2 have been far far greater. 

Thank you for correcting my labeling of the virus. I should have just said the CCP Virus.

But my question still remains. I find it very revealing.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Though the new swine flu, G4 EA H1N1, has the potential of transmitting to humans and turning into a new pandemic, Dr Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist at Chulalongkorn University, said it is not an immediate problem and there is no reason to panic yet.

They said the same thing about the WUHU virus, it makes one wonder what the Chinese feed their animals also the people ..........................LOL

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

No Virus is an Immediate threat until People/Animals start Dying in Big Numbers .Then they take Action which is too late and than they Panic .

Virus outbreaks are very common and happens every year, all over the world, but some more serious ones have recently occured, and here they are:

1.) An African Swine flu outbreak killing hundreds of millions of pigs all over China, leaving China in shortage of pork, starting at least in August 2018 and still going... CCP kept it secret, and still does, despite it being well known since February 2019, when it spread to Vietnam and later in April to Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Thailand remains on "Red Alert" for 24 provinces, but has no confirmed cases as of yet. No human transmission but has almost 100% mortality rate in pigs and is now listed as a threat to humans due to the potential of creating a shortage in food supply around the world. African swine flu outbreak has since spread around Asia and Europe.

2.) The New Coronavirus (CCP virus). China kept it secret, and still does.

3.) A new Swine flu outbreak was reported about shortly after the CCP virus outbreak, early February, in Northern China. Unclear if that is the same as the one we're now talking about, but it is not the same as the first one (there are potentially 3 different Swine flu ongoing outbreaks). Kept it secret and still does.

4.) Nipahvirus, by far the most serious outbreak, has begun spreading again in India and Bangladesh the last few years and has between 70-100% mortality rate and only 3% of no permanent damage to brain and nervesystem. Has never been kept secret and has therefore also been contained within small regions of Malaysia, India and Bangladesh under well control since the first outbreak in 1999. Bats are carriers of the Nipahvirus and infects humans through fruits, food and pigs, as well as between humans. Bats infected with the virus has been discovered in Thailand and are therefore a big threat to Thailand, but no human cases as of yet.

5.) A Bird flu outbreak in Southern China in chicken. Millions of chickens has being killed. Thailand (among other countries) has stopped importation of chicken and animal food from China. China also kept this outbreak a secret and still does.

21 hours ago, timendres said:
On 7/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thank you for correcting my labeling of the virus. I should have just said the CCP Virus.

But my question still remains. I find it very revealing.

I’m not sure what your point is.... I’m guessing something about ‘China’ being the reason this was so heavily reported, but SARS-CoV outbreak in 2003 also started in China, the world also knew about that outbreak back then.

I think this attracted so much attention due to what appeared to be very high transmission rate and the modelled potential.

80 percent of the new human flu strains in the last 100 years have originated in China. A densely packed population living very closely to animals, usually in markets, is an ideal breeding ground for viruses to jump to humans.