How strong do you need to be?

finy

1 minute ago, bigupandchill said:

It is received wisdom on this forum that a falang will always loose to a thai in a fight. Why is that? One on one I feel like I could squish most locals here with my bare hands, so is it 'back up' that will make the difference, or am I missing something?

you got it right.

Unlike back home, where the objective of a dust up is to prove your manhood, the objective in Thai culture is to win the fight. 

If you're expecting a one-on-one "fair" fight, you're in the wrong culture.

Not unlike where I grew up...  The only acceptable reason for fighting was to protect myself or my loved ones from harm.  And if your only reason for fighting is self defense, picking up a 2x4 or enlisting 6 of my buddies was perfectly acceptable.  Duking it out mano a mano is for idiots under those circumstances.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Denim said:

Every forum has its trolls or paid agitators.

Close topic , we are not that desperate for buisness ,, are we ? .

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

Ha, I thought the OP was asking about competition because surely everyone knows there are no rules in street fighting. Well, that's not strictly true because if one is a martial artist there are rules about what techniques one shouldn't try. For example, the spin/jump spin back kick is fine on a controlled surface such as competition mats or in a ring and where your opponent is playing by the same rules. In a street fight surfaces vary a great deal, especially in Thailand, and if one is not wearing protective footwear then your feet are going to suffer. Trying a back kick means offering your back towards the opponent and that's a mistake. Even though one can perform high kicks (in the dojo, dojang etc.) trying that in the street will open the legs and groin to attack. If one is outnumbered look for a 'weak' link, keep punches and kicks below chest level, then attempt escape through the 'weak' link.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, jvs said:

If you get in a fight with a Thai guy you are going to get beat up!

Try it!

Unless you look incredibly weak 1 thai guy is unlikely to fight you. Normally need at least 2 and in my case because I am generally looking down at much smaller men the number for any kind of confrontation is 3. 1 may confront you if there are sufficient others standing around who he is confident will jump in.

• Haha 1

I am of the opinion you need to have really strong legs. Will help you when you sprint away.

Not sure why so many guys seem to think violence and fighting is an option. I havent been in a fight since I was 18. I was always of the opinion fighting is for low class people. 

There are no fair fights and even if you win you can loose. Plenty of newspaper articles about people going down after one blow and ending up in a hospital. Then the guy who threw the punch is in trouble. Why risk all this trouble just for your ego. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Unless you look incredibly weak 1 thai guy is unlikely to fight you. Normally need at least 2 and in my case because I am generally looking down at much smaller men the number for any kind of confrontation is 3. 1 may confront you if there are sufficient others standing around who he is confident will jump in.

3 to one for me its generally 5 to 1 but only if im wearing a blind fold otherwise its not fair on them. 

Keyboard rambo alert ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

3 to one for me its generally 5 to 1 but only if im wearing a blind fold otherwise its not fair on them. 

Keyboard rambo alert ????

Back in the UK, the police were instructed never to approach me unless there were at least 3 male officers present.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 6:20 AM, jvs said:

If you get in a fight with a Thai guy you are going to get beat up!

Try it!

I have seen several big, muscular falangs think they can beat the smaller Thai only to easily get whupped.

A guy at my gym trains falang fighters and said a real Thai fighter will break  young palm trees with his legs to toughen them up.

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

I have seen several big, muscular falangs think they can beat the smaller Thai only to easily get whupped.

A guy at my gym trains falang fighters and said a real Thai fighter will break  young palm trees with his legs to toughen them up.

That would be banana trees i think.