Russians grant Putin right to extend his rule until 2036 in landslide vote - partial results

webfact

Russians grant Putin right to extend his rule until 2036 in landslide vote - partial results

By Andrew Osborn and Anton Zverev

2020-07-01T175457Z_3_LYNXMPEG6031Y_RTROPTP_4_RUSSIA-PUTIN-VOTE-PRESIDENT.JPG

Russian President Vladimir Putin visits a polling station on the last day of a weeklong nationwide vote on constitutional reforms in Moscow, Russia July 1, 2020. Sputnik/Alexei Druzhinin/Kremlin via REUTERS

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russians appeared to have paved the way for Vladimir Putin to stay in power until 2036 by voting overwhelmingly for a package of constitutional changes which will also boost pensions, partial results of a nationwide vote showed on Wednesday.

Results, after almost a third of ballots had been counted, indicated that the former KGB officer who has ruled Russia for more than two decades as president or prime minister would easily win the right to run for two more terms. That means he could remain president for 16 more years.

The Central Election Commission said 74% of votes counted across the world's largest country had supported changing the constitution. Just under 25% had voted no of the 30% of ballots counted.

Russians have been encouraged to vote with prize draws offering flats and an ad campaign highlighting other constitutional amendments in the same reform bundle, such as the pensions protection and a de facto ban on same-sex marriages.

Russians have paved the way for Vladimir Putin to stay in power until 2036 by voting overwhelmingly for a package of constitutional changes which will also boost pensions, initial results show. Joe Davies reports.

One-off payments of 10,000 roubles (£113) were transferred to those with children at Putin's order as people headed to polling stations on Wednesday, the last day of the vote, held over seven days to try to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

"I voted for the amendments to the constitution," Moscow resident Mikhail Volkov said. "We need radical changes and I'm for them."

Others voted for the changes with less enthusiasm.

"I didn't read about the amendments if I'm honest," another voter, Lyudmila, said. "What's the point of voting if they've already decided for you. It's like that in our country - read something and vote. I voted."

Turnout was around 65%, election officials said. The required turnout is 50% and the amendments will pass if they are backed by a simple majority of voters.

Putin, 67, made no mention of how the changes could affect his own career in an eve-of-vote speech on Tuesday. They would allow him to run for another two six-year, consecutive stints after his current term expires in 2024.

Putin has said he has yet to decide on his future. Critics say they are sure he will run again, but some analysts say he may want to keep his options open to avoid becoming a lame duck.

At 60%, according to the Levada pollster, his approval rating remains high but well down on its peak of nearly 90%.

With Russia reporting thousands of new COVID-19 cases each day, opponents have been unable to stage protests but have mocked the vote online, sharing photographs of polling stations in apartment stairwells, courtyards and the boot of a car.

SMALL PROTESTS

A small group of activists staged a symbolic protest on Red Square on Wednesday afternoon using their prostrate bodies to form the date - 2036 - before being swiftly detained by police, TV Rain reported.

The "No! Campaign," called on supporters to vote against the changes and then discuss the result on Moscow's Pushkinskaya Square while respecting social distancing rules.

"We need to remind the authorities that we exist and that there are tens of millions of us who do not want Putin to rule until 2036," Andrei Pivovarov, an activist, said in an online video.

In the event, dozens turned out amid a heavy police presence. One masked protester stood with a sign saying "I/We are the constitution," while others chanted "Russia will be free." Other slogans suggested the best constitutional amendment would be for Putin to resign.

The opposition Communist Party, which has advised supporters to vote "no", has complained of irregularities.

Gennady Zyuganov, its leader, said that Putin and voters needed to weigh the consequences of sticking to the Russian leader's policies, which he said had failed the economy.

"Putin needs to choose," said Zyuganov. "For him the moment of truth is coming."

Putin had said he wanted a clean vote, something election officials had pledged to deliver.

Golos, a non-governmental organisation that monitors elections, has said it will not be able to confirm the outcome of the vote as legitimate.

(Additional reporting by Alexander Reshetnikov, Peter Scott, Tom Balmforth, Vladimir Soldatkin, Mikhail Antonov and Anton Zverev; Editing by Philippa Fletcher, William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-02

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, samran said:

Smart by Putin not overly stuffing the ballot boxes to create an illusion of democracy. 

They had a pamphlet printed and published, even before the vote, containing the new constitution. On the front cover, it said that the new constitution would become effective, immediately after the vote was concluded. 

One has to feel for the Russian people. Either they have been severely duped, they were forced into this vote, the vote was manufactured, or doctored, or some other tactic was employed by this despot dictator, who is unbelievably thirsty for more power, more fortune, and more mischief. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Leaders in China, now Russia have extended right to rule ... what other major country has a leader desiring greater power? Asking for a friend ...

Turkey...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

He has brought them stability, security and relative prosperity, while restoring their national pride after the disastrous 90s. That in itself carries a lot of long lasting goodwill. 

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that he is a corrupt as can be, but my experience is that Russians tend to look upon those who cheat the system with a wistful admiration. 

California has nearly twice the GDP of all of Russia. Putin has brought the Russians the illusion of grandeur while scaring away any foreign investment in the Russian economy thanks to his mobster cronyism. No company in their right mind would invest a penny in Russia.

Putin has been an unmitigated disaster for Russia, second only to the Bolsheviks.

Edited by OZinPattaya

3 hours ago, OZinPattaya said:

California has nearly twice the GDP of all of Russia. Putin has brought the Russians the illusion of grandeur while scaring away any foreign investment in the Russian economy thanks to his mobster cronyism. No company in their right mind would invest a penny in Russia.

Putin has been an unmitigated disaster for Russia, second only to the Bolsheviks.

I am not saying that he is, in any way, good or trustworthy. I lived in Russia for 8 years and the company I worked for was effectively stolen by his cohorts so I am well aware of his legacy, but I am pointing out that the average man in the street does not see things from a geopolitical perspective. 

In the time I was there, I watched as people went from driving Ladas and holidaying on the Black Sea to driving Toyotas and holidaying in SE Asia and Europe. That is the legacy that matters to the average voter. 

• Like 1