I Predict A Riot.

I was lucky enough to get my extension done just before things got so Kafkaesque and got my 90 days done yesterday, very efficiently, only a few Cambodians present. (Buriram).

I agree that things will be 'disorganised' on and after 31 July. 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think an announcement coming soon since they extended the emergency decree, inbound flights are not allowed without advance clearance that limits the outbound flights available and no indication of border crossings opening anytime soon.

I am certain the amnesty will be extended for at least a month.

I also think it will be extended, but the reality is that the problem in the original post is only going to be inflated.

Basically it is kicking the can down the road, but the problem is going to get bigger and bigger the more they kick it.

It is going to be interesting how they plan to deal with the numbers. pre-covid the system was evenly spread out and now the numbers are going to lumped together.

Imagine all the 60 day visas that get applied for will also start expiring at the same time pushing the same problem onto immigration offices.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

If Viantiene can barely deal with a few hundred in a day, then how much further can they be stretched?

Bear in mind, prior to this amnesty an appointment was mandatory in Vientiane; I think two weeks prior to your required date . So anyone who's looking to just front up to suit themselves is in la la land imo. If a riot occurs, it won't be a problem in Thailand or neighboring countries.......all have armed forces they use to quell dissent.......

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 1

They will surely allow a period of grace after the amnesty stops, as in the 90 day report and visa extension, you have a period before and after when you can apply. 

So something like a 30 day period after amnesty would make sense.

Immigration could convert their working hours as per 7-11, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Spread the load kinda.

I don't see a riot coming. But it would be interesting to know some numbers: How many foreigners were on amnesty when it kicked in? How many of these left the country or were able to get a proper extension in-country in the meantime? How many remain on amnesty?

My feeling is that many have left or are about to leave already.

1 hour ago, Brewster67 said:

A few delays?

I was being generous when I said 4 month;s of applicants, in reality you can add all those who got their last visas issued up to 60 days before the amnesty was announced... So that will be 6 months of applicants all going on the same day, and that to you will equate to 'a few delays'?.... no way man.

It is simple mathematics.

If Viantiene can barely deal with a few hundred in a day, then how much further can they be stretched?

Concerning your remark flights out :

"Those flying will find it very difficult to even get booked on a flight. The flight prices will be pushed right up and the airlines won't even be able to put enough flights on because they like us will be given very little notice by Thai immigration for the great exodus. "

There are flights out available , but not with the  remaining return ticket ,must buy single flights ticket , flights out regular at 3 a week by example KLM  (others I have no example from , but are available  ) Those who are expected to leave and don't do it , expect problems the moment amnesty ends whenever.....don't think immigration is not aware flights are available now and further  .

Amnesty is not planned to make life more comfortable … but just solving a crisis moment !

2020-06-22_201200.png

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I don't see a riot coming. But it would be interesting to know some numbers: How many foreigners were on amnesty when it kicked in? How many of these left the country or were able to get a proper extension in-country in the meantime? How many remain on amnesty?

My feeling is that many have left or are about to leave already.

Imagine these numbers are known, but probably not available to us.

As one sample, following the Australian Ambassador to Thailand on Twitter, @AusAmbBKK, 860 Australians have left (as of June 18 tweet), while previously he mentioned (months ago) they had a record of ~ 4,000. Those 4,000 may have been the total, or some total, or just those who 'registered'?

Maybe I'd add another consideration to my list...

incentivize people to leave ASAP, with a free, future 90-day visa and a 5,000 baht voucher.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

Bear in mind, prior to this amnesty an appointment was mandatory in Vientiane; I think two weeks prior to your required date . So anyone who's looking to just front up to suit themselves is in la la land imo. If a riot occurs, it won't be a problem in Thailand or neighboring countries.......all have armed forces they use to quell dissent.......

You do understand that 'I predict a riot' is metaphorical don't you?

I wondered how long it would be before someone took it as literal, and I didn't have to wait that long... Lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

They could significantly reduce the number of people visiting Immigration by simply saying there will be no extensions for any Visa Exempt or Tourist Visas issued before the Amnesty started on the basis that these have already been extended by 4-5 months.

This would leave the yearly visas which should have been extended as normal so no increase volumes there, & 90 day reports (which they could stagger by saying report on your normal reporting date having skipped 1) 

Don't see what the problem is? If anything there could be less people there than normal. 

You don't see the problem because you misinterpreted my point.

Once the borders reopen for business there is going to be a mad rush... THAT is not being disputed by anyone... It is THOSE visas that will be issued in the great rush that will all start expiring at the same time for example 60 days after the reopening, many of those will likely want to go to their local immigration office to extend those visas...... basically this amnesty has created bottlenecks in the entire system.

Edited by Brewster67
  • Like 2

When the land borders open, what entry requirements will the neighboring countries require? I’ll need to do a border bounce at some time in the future, trying to work it all out is giving my derrière  a headache 

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

If a riot occurs, it won't be a problem in Thailand or neighboring countries.......all have armed forces they use to quell dissent.......

Dear Lord, you actually thought the OP is predicting an actual riot...the mind just boggles..

4 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

You don't see the problem because you misinterpreted my point.

Once the borders reopen for business there is going to be a mad rush... THAT is not being disputed by anyone... It is THOSE visas that will be issued in the great rush that will all start expiring at the same time for example 60 days after the reopening, many of those will likely want to go to their local immigration office to extend those visas...... basically this amnesty has created bottlenecks in the entire system.

At the moment the Overseas Thai Embassy & Consulates are not issuing Tourist Visas & there are no indications that they're about to anytime soon, so when the borders open the vast majority of people will probably be going home or to a 3rd Country.

Even if they were to issue them, the Embassy/Consulate will only issue the number of Visas that they can so to use your example of 250 per day in Vientiane (for which you need an appointment in advance), if 1,000 people head there then some of them are going to be there for 4 days, come back 4 days later & extend their Visa 4 days after the guys who got theirs on day 1....

I honestly don't think there will be a problem & think if anything there will be a larger than average number of people leaving Thailand for good & a lot fewer people getting Tourist Visas or travelling at all for some months after the borders reopen. 

Again, the only group that might have a problem are the ones who go out every 90 days to get a new Non-O and I'd updated my reply above to cover this. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

When the land borders open, what entry requirements will the neighboring countries require? I’ll need to do a border bounce at some time in the future, trying to work it all out is giving my derrière  a headache 

To be more precise, what surrounding countries are going to require isolation before you can fully enter their country and do things?

Worst case scenario is they say you will not be allowed to use the exit point until you have quarantined and then when you eventually get back you have to do another 14 days.

I have a feeling when things reopen, they will do it to suit their rules regardless of the massive inconvenience to those affected.

• Like 2

Anyone who is actually here and has 90 day or extensions due I believe should go in and take care of business.

I am doing this the offices are light, but I know several who are not going using this time as an excuse to do nothing.  But, they seem fine now going to a bar.

Using Ï am afraid to go due to Covid¨ really is a fake excuse now because their are no reported cases for over a month and it is not going to be better in August or September. 

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

I was worried about a fall from the cliff until last weekend, but not anymore. They extended the emergency degree until end of July. The number of foreign workers from neighboring countries stuck in Thailand is in the 100,000s. There has been zero preparation for extraditing foreigners on overstay following July 31st. There is no plan for a reopening of land borders. So it really isn't a question IF they are going to extend the amnesty, but by how long. If several 10,000s of people are affected, it is much more likely that they'll keep the situation hanging in the air rather than play hardball.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

At the moment the Overseas Thai Embassy & Consulates are not issuing Tourist Visas & there are no indications that they're about to anytime soon, so when the borders open the vast majority of people will probably be going home or to a 3rd Country.

Even if they were to issue them, the Embassy/Consulate will only issue the number of Visas that they can so to use your example of 250 per day in Vientiane (for which you need an appointment in advance), if 1,000 people head there then some of them are going to be there for 4 days, come back 4 days later & extend their Visa 4 days after the guys who got theirs on day 1....

I honestly don't think there will be a problem & think if anything there will be a larger than average number of people leaving Thailand for good & a lot fewer people getting Tourist Visas or travelling at all for some months after the borders reopen. 

Again, the only group that might have a problem are the ones who go out every 90 days to get a new Non-O and I'd updated my reply above to cover this. 

If Vientiane processes 250 in a single day, and their services have been on hold for almost 4 months, that means they will have a backlog waaaaaaaay bigger than 1000...

My local farang facebook group is alight with many people who use this service because they are not on 12 extensions or retirement visas. I would say the majority of farang that I know are in this situation.

I also think the vast majority of farang will NOT be flying home to their home countries because they live in thailand, and if there is still a 14 isolation requirement in place, then that will compound that even more.

hardly any farang left the country before this, I know at least half a dozen who cancelled their home country visits when covid hit because they didn't want to end up stranded there when their lives are here.

Surrounding country borders are going to be the first to open, long before they will accept people from the highly infected west.

• Like 2