Pattaya: Busy first day back in the bars - but owner sees only 50/50 future

webfact

Pattaya: Busy first day back in the bars - but owner sees only 50/50 future

1PM.jpg

Thai media 77kaoded reported that beer bars in Pattaya were doing a good trade on the first day restrictions were lifted to enable their opening yesterday.

But this was the "New Normal" for the daytime drinkers - temperature checks, hand sanitizer, Thai chana tracing app, and screens to separate patrons from other visitors. 

They are all part of 22 regulations bar owners must adhere to in order to open. 

Ratree, 44, a cashier at the Corner Bar on Soi 6 said it was good news that the government had finally allowed them to open as there had been no money coming in for months.

She said that the foreigners in her bar were expats who lived in Pattaya. They were all regular customers before the pandemic struck.

She said that some of the bar's employees had quit their jobs to return up country and some had returned to farming. Only those normally resident in Pattaya were left.

As far as the future of her bar goes she put the likelihood of survival at 50 -50 - it would all depend on foreign tourists being allowed back into the country and their returning to Pattaya. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-02

8 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

the picture - a new dimension of pixelizing. New normal?

Takes a while to realize that the pic was taken outside the bar and reflections from the window and "covid screens" are messing up the image.

What I thought was funny was how many foreigners (12) were in that place and it looks like the only woman there is the bartender (left side in the back).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Shows how long since I was there.  It used to be on the opposite corner.

Yeah, looking at old pics the "old" corner bar was basically an awning with some tables and chairs under it. Not really much of a bar. 

2012                                                                                                                        2016
2012.jpg.6eb31d2889d8ea8df9ef0c6a3ee75fb0.jpg 2016.jpg.e8c7500ab02a715721235c76d8aef6b8.jpg

1 minute ago, dreaming said:

If you are in Thailand now you probably look the same as those guys.

No tourists allowed - only expats

I am in Thailand now.. been in Thailand since I was 30 and no I dont look like these guys. I am 46. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dreaming said:

I love where I live. And I love holidaying in thailand.

But you wont find me making smart <deleted> comments about the age of guys sitting in bars. They have obviously retired in thailand and are happy to be there.

It was not a smart ass remark. just shows the current demographic in those bars. Anyone thinking that a few pensioners are enough to keep bars afloat is crazy. They need tourist they will spend more then those retirees nursing their beers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Mmmm, but is it really more fun?  Look, I also came here around the same age as yourself and am still here 20 years later. Not saying I agree with the original comment but I can see his point. Successful or not you have spent your peak years as a bloke (as I have) in South East Asia instead of achieving things in the much more civilised west, living among real friends and family. a proper climate, proper food, pubs, proper transport, infrastructure and sport etc and a LOT less hassle. I don't have any real regrets but do sometimes wonder should I have left all this to later in life. Maybe you have these thoughts too but can't bring yourself to admit it?

Btw, those in the pic (our peers?) look like homeless people.

Actually i like the climate here 10x more then home. I love the food here (think your a Brit and not that adapted if you complain about pubs and food). I hated the climate back home the grey clouds and all.

I think moving here made me achieve much more things as back home. But I can take my business at any time and move back and I have the same income. I have not burned my bridges. I am here by choice. I don't think i could have started my business back home the way I could have here. I sold my home put that money towards living here while i build my business. Now that is paying itself back. 

At home I would always have been an employee now I am a business owner. Having said that its not all what its cracked up to be. I mean as an employee you close the door after you on Friday forget it all as a business owner it never stops. Still i like it better i like the responsability.

I do agree about the hassle but, i have lived with a Thai woman in my country. That gives hassle too. Its easier to live here. 

I have always been a bit of a loner had only a few close friends. (that is why i am not a pub goer and sports i like to do myself not watch)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

I guess a lot of people have no clue about real expats not retirees. There are quite a few expats in Thailand with good businesses and others that work for international companies. Quite some young people from Singapore for instance being hired for foreign companies. Gf is from there.

Indeed! many on here live in a small world and think all are in the same "boat" Too late for change for most I'm afraid! ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

God forbid 

Your missing out on a "unique" cultural experience, showing off your tats while wearing a football jersey that is three sizes too small for you, bill-boarding for free the sponsors of "your" club while complaining about the price of beer, the exchange rate, the unchanged immigration rules, rounded off with a good unfounded rant about how much Thai's despise us. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

instead of achieving things in the much more civilised west

Hmm, I think you’d better check again how things have been in the “civilized West”.

Many of my friends back in America are paycheck to paycheck. Rents are sky high, which is why many have gone back to their parents. They are well educated yet can’t find suitable employment, and thus have been underemployed. Yet for some reason we have to keep importing “skilled labor” to fill decent positions. One guy I know occasionally lives out of his car, yet has years of experience in his field, and works full time. And don’t get me started on the dating scene.

And, this was all BEFORE Corona hit, the economic chaos it’s caused, and the civil unrest following a cop crushing an old guy’s neck. Oh yeah, sure wish I stayed back there. Sure could do without my decent paying job here, a nice condo with a pool that’s about a tenth of my salary, and the wonderful wife I found.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 2