BANGKOK
webfact

Pattaya: Busy first day back in the bars - but owner sees only 50/50 future

Pattaya: Busy first day back in the bars - but owner sees only 50/50 future

1PM.jpg

Thai media 77kaoded reported that beer bars in Pattaya were doing a good trade on the first day restrictions were lifted to enable their opening yesterday.

But this was the "New Normal" for the daytime drinkers - temperature checks, hand sanitizer, Thai chana tracing app, and screens to separate patrons from other visitors. 

They are all part of 22 regulations bar owners must adhere to in order to open. 

Ratree, 44, a cashier at the Corner Bar on Soi 6 said it was good news that the government had finally allowed them to open as there had been no money coming in for months.

She said that the foreigners in her bar were expats who lived in Pattaya. They were all regular customers before the pandemic struck.

She said that some of the bar's employees had quit their jobs to return up country and some had returned to farming. Only those normally resident in Pattaya were left.

As far as the future of her bar goes she put the likelihood of survival at 50 -50 - it would all depend on foreign tourists being allowed back into the country and their returning to Pattaya. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-02

8 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

the picture - a new dimension of pixelizing. New normal?

Takes a while to realize that the pic was taken outside the bar and reflections from the window and "covid screens" are messing up the image.

What I thought was funny was how many foreigners (12) were in that place and it looks like the only woman there is the bartender (left side in the back).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Shows how long since I was there.  It used to be on the opposite corner.

Yeah, looking at old pics the "old" corner bar was basically an awning with some tables and chairs under it. Not really much of a bar. 

2012                                                                                                                        2016
2012.jpg.6eb31d2889d8ea8df9ef0c6a3ee75fb0.jpg 2016.jpg.e8c7500ab02a715721235c76d8aef6b8.jpg

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

If you don't want us to see anything then don't take and publish the photo.  These are not suspects in a court case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dreaming said:

If you are in Thailand now you probably look the same as those guys.

No tourists allowed - only expats

I am in Thailand now.. been in Thailand since I was 30 and no I dont look like these guys. I am 46. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I can't see any masks

• Like 2
  • Sad 1