Pattaya: Busy first day back in the bars - but owner sees only 50/50 future

webfact

5 hours ago, sezze said:

"As far as the future of her bar goes she put the likelihood of survival at 50 -50 - it would all depend on foreign tourists being allowed back into the country and their returning to Pattaya."

Not looking good then , no tourists allowed at the moment , and since no extra's planned , it will take at least a few months to get some nrs back .

and if and when they do come and an infection starts spreading they'll be shut for good till a vaccine is available..

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It was not a smart ass remark. just shows the current demographic in those bars. Anyone thinking that a few pensioners are enough to keep bars afloat is crazy. They need tourist they will spend more then those retirees nursing their beers.

don,t worry the chinese and the indians are going to be breaking down the doors to get into los soon.

57 minutes ago, dreaming said:

Seriously.

Do you really think they are talking about that.

That seems to be a thaivisa keyboard warrior thing behind closed doors

image.png.e3e773ecd6de585b2998e6f520e8e96f.png

3 hours ago, robblok said:

It was not a smart ass remark. just shows the current demographic in those bars. Anyone thinking that a few pensioners are enough to keep bars afloat is crazy. They need tourist they will spend more then those retirees nursing their beers.

So you can tell from a photo how much drink people consume.?

Clever lad. 

In my experience some drink a lot, some a little and some in-between. 

• Like 1

Just now, rott said:

So you can tell from a photo how much drink people consume.?

Clever lad. 

In my experience some drink a lot, some a little and some in-between. 

From my experience and listening to Thaivisa with the exchange rate as it is many retirees don't drink that much and nurse their beer for a long time. 

I don't really care bar scene is not my scene, but its only normal that tourists spend far more then retirees. Tourists save up spend it all in a short time. That is not the spending pattern of a retiree.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

As far as the future of her bar goes she put the likelihood of survival at 50 -50 - it would all depend on foreign tourists being allowed back into the country and their returning to Pattaya.

Allowed back and wanting/affording to come back... are two entirely different things.

6 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

lets hope you live long enough to get old. You live in Thailand that is your future

We all age, and I certainly hope i live long enough to get old. But you wont catch me in a bar. I don't like it now so I certainly won't like it when im old. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Wow it almost looks like a retirement home in that bar ????

That's what the place is like.

"Full of dirty old men with young girls" is endlessly repeated by those who, apparently, never visited Pattaya.

But that photo is my abiding image (morning, noon and night) of the core "Old Caucasian in Pattaya" experience.

Usually it would be a seething mass of solo, boiled red, wrinkled, aged "starlings".

Such gatherings also take place in the open air.

If any of them are in the company of women, the women will be middle aged at least.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Full of dirty old men with young girls" is endlessly repeated by those who, apparently, never visited Pattaya.

But that photo is my abiding image (morning, noon and night) of the core "Old Caucasian in Pattaya" experience.

Usually it would be a seething mass of solo, boiled red, wrinkled, aged "starlings".

If any of them are in the company of women, the women will be middle aged at least.

Depends a bit if the woman is paid for or not.. i mean why pay for a middle aged woman (maybe because cheaper). 

But I been in Pattaya, its just not my place. The beach is not nice and I am not a bar type. So I don't have a reason to be there. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The beach is not nice and I am not a bar type. So I don't have a reason to be there. 

There is only one reason to be there.

For that all else is endured, not enjoyed.

And after one is finally "unchained from the idiot" there's no point, unless one is a "starling", in being there at all.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

it would all depend on foreign tourists being allowed back into the country and their returning to Pattaya. 

I thought the Government's plan was for wealthy tourists staying in 5-Star hotels - not the kind that would visit beer bars???

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

The Corner bar was shut down five years ago & demolished.  No wonder she's got no customers.

No, you must be mistaken. Was there last summer and will be there in 2 weeks again.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Not sure how I wasted the best years of my life. I got a successful business that is why i can stay in Thailand. Any more baseless remarks ? I make more money now then when I lived in my home country. 

I guess a lot of people have no clue about real expats not retirees. There are quite a few expats in Thailand with good businesses and others that work for international companies. Quite some young people from Singapore for instance being hired for foreign companies. Gf is from there.

Maybe you should keep dreaming. I can tell you if you can make money or find a good job here its much more fun then in your home country. 

So u think u be a millionaire keep dreaming all farang come to thailand think they open a business and become millionaires if your earnings surper money u get there soon but dont hold your breath 

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Wow it almost looks like a retirement home in that bar ????

Buffaloes,  are getting less handsome , than they were in my glory days .

However that said , ATM , more important than handsome .

New World Order ..

Edited by elliss