Trf visa to new passport

I recently received a new UK passport. My OA visa and extension is still in the old one.

So I want to get the visa transferred into the new passport. But I have heard some kind of certificate may be required from one's embassy. I don't have anything like this. Can anyone enlighten about what is required and the procedure? 

As above, you need the letter/form from the British Embassy which is given to you when you collect the new passport from HMPO at the Trendy.  Then it's a straightforward process at your Immigration office.  Only the Extension is transferred, not the visa, so you may need to retain your old passport if the visa is still relevant.

• Like 1

Normally they want a letter from your Embassy requesting the service but they may provide without.  They transfer your current permitted to stay and information of the original visa (not a visa itself).  You will need copies of both passports/applicable pages.

• Like 1

Whenever I fly in or out of Thailand, I take both passports.

At Don Muang a helpful IO put a stamp in my new passport with the previous visa extension details but despite that, IO's keep wanting to see my original extension in the old passport mainly to see if I have a re-entry permit. Never had a problem by carrying two passports. I used to travel a lot before the current pandemic.

My experience is that the Thai bureaucratic system doesn't handle his well. For instance my marriage certificate lists my old passport number and when I show them the new passport they sometimes want more information. Previous passport to the rescue! Right now my online 90 days reporting shows my old passport and that I have overstayed about 3 years. There is probably a way to fix this by not by me at home online and it's not a current problem. 

I did apply for the new passport at Trendy and I expected I would have to return to collect it but in fact it was delivered to my condo.

I don't recall any letter in the envelope, but in any case I don't seem to have one, having searched through my paperwork.

So not sure what to do now.

Also I have to do a 90 day report in the next few days. assuming I do this before transferring the extension of stay, should I provide a photocopy of the new or the old passport ?

11 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

From the UK embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-after-renewing-your-british-passport

If you have not been given a copy of this letter, send us your name and Thai address via our web form and we will post a copy to you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. It seems to allow me to make an enquiry with them, so I can imagine this could take a while. 

I think I can get an agent to do the transfer for me without the letter, may have to go that route.

16 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Thanks for the link. It seems to allow me to make an enquiry with them, so I can imagine this could take a while. 

I think I can get an agent to do the transfer for me without the letter, may have to go that route.

Others have requested them before and got the letter fairly quickly. If I recall correctly the embassy sent them by EMS.

Are you on extensions? Not much international travel going on currently. Why need transfer stamps. Just wait till you next need attend immigration. Same as poster above I exit every month and traveled with both passports for months.

You do need letter for embassy. It gives Thai imm permission to transfer.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you on extensions? Not much international travel going on currently. Why need transfer stamps. Just wait till you next need attend immigration. Same as poster above I exit every month and traveled with both passports for months.

You do need letter for embassy. It gives Thai imm permission to transfer.

Yeah I may do that. 

But when I do my 90 day report in a few days, should I send in copies of the old or new passport ?

I normally do it by post and I'm slightly concerned if I send in a copy of the new one, it won't have the same number as the TM6 or the visa and then there might be all sort of questions and problems. 

Edited by britishjohn
edit

7 hours ago, britishjohn said:

But when I do my 90 day report in a few days, should I send in copies of the old or new passport ?

If doing by mail it would not be accepted unless you had already done the stamp transfer.

You don't have to do 90 day reports at this time. They are not required until after July 31st under the amnesty.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If doing by mail it would not be accepted unless you had already done the stamp transfer.

You don't have to do 90 day reports at this time. They are not required until after July 31st under the amnesty.

Ah thanks, I didn't know that.

So what date will I need to do the next 90 day report ? Aug 1st ?

17 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Ah thanks, I didn't know that.

So what date will I need to do the next 90 day report ? Aug 1st ?

That is not yet known - they will need to either extend the amnesty or provide instructions this month - we do not expect requirement to immediately report on Aug 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my passport to an agent to get the visa extension stamp transferred to the new passport and also do my 90 day report. I still haven't got it back because now they are saying immigration want proof of 800k in the bank before doing the 90 day report.

A friend has also tried to do a 90 day rep and been asked for proof of funds.

Is this something new ?

If this is the first 90 day report after extension of stay for retirement using 800k in bank account method it is to check that your extension of stay is still valid (800k must be in account 3 months after extension application and 400k always in account under rules for last year and a half).  Some immigration offices want to check that at 90 day report time.

1 minute ago, britishjohn said:

no this is the second 90 day, the previous one was done by post.

In that case you did not provide such proof and they want it now it seems?  Suspect your bank passbook and copies should be enough.  

On 7/13/2020 at 1:36 PM, lopburi3 said:

In that case you did not provide such proof and they want it now it seems?  Suspect your bank passbook and copies should be enough.  

Correct I wasn't aware when doing it post I needed to supply any bank information, so I didn't and received the receipt. But this time with an agent doing it has been asked for.

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the letter authorising a new extension stamp to be put in my new passport ?

When I was given the first stamp they didn't need any letter, why is it needed simply because it's a new passport ?

7 hours ago, britishjohn said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the letter authorising a new extension stamp to be put in my new passport ?

When I was given the first stamp they didn't need any letter, why is it needed simply because it's a new passport ?

To help confirm it is you and a valid replacement passport - it has always been something that most embassies automatically provide but has not always been strictly required by immigration.  

On 7/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, britishjohn said:

I did apply for the new passport at Trendy and I expected I would have to return to collect it but in fact it was delivered to my condo.

I don't recall any letter in the envelope, but in any case I don't seem to have one, having searched through my paperwork.

Also I have to do a 90 day report in the next few days. assuming I do this before transferring the extension of stay, should I provide a photocopy of the new or the old passport ?

If you are in Pattaya Key Visa can provide the required letter.