It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

webfact

23 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

At last!! Someone in authority who not only has indentified the problem but explained the pitfalls of dual pricing.

Tanse Petsuwa, you've bought a tear to my eye

how much are your tears?

50 minutes ago, taxout said:

"From the Great Wall of China to the Taj Mahal to Machu Picchu in Peru, two-tier pricing is also in effect at many of the world’s most famous tourist attractions."

China scrapped two-tier pricing some 15-20 years ago.

I understand that local residents are able to receive a discount, while Chinese from other parts of the country and foreigners, expat or visitors, pay the same higher rate. The local rate, which is sometimes free, is often unpublished.

Groups also receive discounts. This means if you arrive with a guide or if a minimum number of people arrive, each one pays less than if you visit in a smaller group or alone. Not sure how many people constitutes a group or whether a guide must organize things...I think it depends on the attraction.

I remember encountering this practice on at least two occasions: both times in Yunnan: Shangri-la: visited some spa with my Norwegian friend and his Chinese girlfriend. Our local friend and a driver also joined us. Myself, my Norwegian friend, the driver and girlfriend paid the same, while our local Shangrila native paid nothing.

At some temple in Mangshi, near the Myanmar border we had a driver who paid nothing to enter, while everyone else, foreign and Chinese alike, paid the same rate.

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

No, they're not!

Maybe you don't believe them, but I've seen attitudes at the TAT shift over the past few months that I never thought possible: for one, the TAT now finally wants to see fewer, higher spending tourists (quality over quantity) which they would have never ever said before April.

Anything is possible...and I truly believe dual pricing will go the way of the dodo - the only question is how it will happen and when. Now would be a good time to make these changes...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

many two tier pricing policies are simply in place due to the idea that foreigners can afford to absorb the higher prices and therefore should pay more. 

Throughout the years, I have been one to complain and at times refused to visit such places. Unfortunately, such practices are not limited to Thailand. Even in my home country of America, not only is there two tier pricing but in some places the entrance fee is almost three times as high. Especially, in state run universities.

My daughter is wanting to transfer from a Thai university to an American one. Yes, I told her from the get go to head to the states for school, but I lost that debate. Anyway, this is where it gets expensive. Even though she is an American citizen, she has been away from the states for more than three years and as such is no longer is a resident of any state. Therefore, if she did not want live in the state and acquire residency, she (me) would have to pay out of state tuition which is often double the rate of students that are residents of the state.

If she enrolled as an international student using her Thai passport, then the fees are almost three times higher. Like I said, Thailand is not the only gang that takes advantage of outsiders...

sign.JPG

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'll believe it when I see it.

If it does happen (unlikely) it will be temporary. Once things return to normal after C19, the classic combination of stupidity and hubris will also return and they'll revert back to 2 tiered pricing.

• Like 1