Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm currently Koh Samed in fact been here 4 months. The Thai entrance to national park is 40baht Thai and 200baht farang.

Show proof of "he was pocketing difference" You dont live here for sure

I'd love to hear why you think staying on Samui for 4 months makes you think you know better.....   I lived on Samui for 2 years....so what?.

 

As I said the Kaeng Krachan ranger station also actually used to have a sign explaining that foreigners with proof of living/working in Thailand were permitted in at the Thai persons' rate

 

If you got a ticket at on entrance for 40 baht and on the same day, the guy on the other entrance is asking foreigners for 400 baht, what do you call that....????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Please explain. Public hospitals in Thailand are problematic at best. 

If you attend private hospital you will have first world cover. That is good reason to have your own health insurance if you are xpat living Thailand.

Theres a man who knows little about evaluating health care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how do they intend to sort the two tier system? Is it possible that it will be the Thais who will pay the high falang price as well from now on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, american2 said:

I would hope it was time to scrap more than just two tiered pricing.  A type O visa requires at least 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank sixty days before visa renewal.  Meaning you must have more income to cover expenses in the sixty days leading to visa renewal.  A type O A is 400,000 Baht.  A Government employee with multi years experience and training is only earning in the neighborhood of 360,000 Baht.

Additionally a Type O visa holder is required to have insurance  which is approved (and has been invested in by the Thai Soveriegn Wealth Fund).  The cost varies by coverage and age but let us approximate the cost being 60-70,000 Baht.  The Insurance must be paid and certified prior to visa renewal.  My estimation is one must have (for a Type O Visa) 1,000,000 Baht.  I don't fault the need for Inurance.  Type O A visa holders who are not required to have Insurance are  gambling if living here uninsured.  Personally I do not frequent places with the dual pricing as it is not a payment I am willing to make.

 

Nice rant but way off target.

 

OA and O requirements are very similar, 800k based on retirement and 400k based on marriage ( and yes you can extend an extension of stay originating from an OA based on marriage ).

 The OA requires you have mandatory health insurance and the cheapest is 6,000/7,400 baht depending on age. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 12:53 AM, Guderian said:

That sign's a bit lax, they normally write the price in Thai script too to make sure foreigners can't grok what's going on.

Are you a Stranger in A Strange Land?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Learning the language, culture and business etiquette is a far better idea.

 

More effort and too difficult for most, but the rewards are worth it IMO. 

Learning the language do not get you Thai price at National Parks, unless you are very lucky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, Airbagwill said:

400 baht every time you enter per person.

The policy is not connected to value or financing the park as it doesn't work.

 

If you are group of 4 plus car plus camping it moutnts up - if you leave the park, you should actually pay to re-enter.

 

The way to raise money on any national monument is to have free or cheap entry and then sell "extras" once the people are inside....e.g. tours, souvenirs, food facilities - any marketing will tell you that an unjust entrance fee is a deterrant.

 

 

If you stay longer than a night and you want to leave the park you can get a stamp so you won’t have to pay again when you get back later that same day. I’ve done that numerous times. You just need to talk to the people at the entrance before you leave the park. 
 

If you’re too stingy to fork out some money to see an awesome park once in your life then so be it. Don’t ever try to go to Disneyland with your family then either, or any amusement park for that matter. Me personally, I love Khao Yai, it’s my favorite place on earth and the few times I actually had to pay the 400 were fully worth it. No regrets on my part, but hey, to each their own! 

Edited by pacovl46
Typo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chrissables said:

Learning the language do not get you Thai price at National Parks, unless you are very lucky.

True, not any more.

It used to be that showing a driving licence got you a local price.  Visiting one park and getting a ticket used to get you into another nearby park the same day free.  Not any more.

There were places that used to be free local attractions, fenced off and declared National Parks with admission prices.  No change but for the shed where someone took your money.  Or watched you walk away.

These places seem to be yet another franchise opportunity for entitled people to squeeze money from their citizens and their foreign guests.

p.s. I have never been to another country where the National Parks have so few animals, birds, butterflies and other wildlife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:


 

If you’re too stingy to fork out some money to see an awesome park once in your life then so be it. Don’t ever try to go to Disneyland with your family then either, or any amusement park for that matter. Me personally, I love Khao Yai, it’s my favorite place on earth and the few times I actually had to pay the 400 were fully worth it. No regrets on my part, but hey, to each their own! 

The parks there are worth it?  Where?  The only ones I've seen are half abandoned with trash about, faded falling apart displays and boardwalks hardly maintained.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, greeneking said:

True, not any more.

It used to be that showing a driving licence got you a local price.  Visiting one park and getting a ticket used to get you into another nearby park the same day free.  Not any more.

There were places that used to be free local attractions, fenced off and declared National Parks with admission prices.  No change but for the shed where someone took your money.  Or watched you walk away.

These places seem to be yet another franchise opportunity for entitled people to squeeze money from their citizens and their foreign guests.

p.s. I have never been to another country where the National Parks have so few animals, birds, butterflies and other wildlife.

Yes driving licence used to be the way to get Thai price.

 

Now i will not enter and place i know charging extra. I may miss some sights, but very few i think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TAT finally see it ... only took a world wide plague though to bump it into consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chrissables said:

Learning the language do not get you Thai price at National Parks, unless you are very lucky.

I never said it did. 

 

Please don't use my post out of context, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 8:29 AM, Airbagwill said:

I'd love to hear why you think staying on Samui for 4 months makes you think you know better.....   I lived on Samui for 2 years....so what?.

 

As I said the Kaeng Krachan ranger station also actually used to have a sign explaining that foreigners with proof of living/working in Thailand were permitted in at the Thai persons' rate

 

If you got a ticket at on entrance for 40 baht and on the same day, the guy on the other entrance is asking foreigners for 400 baht, what do you call that....????

 

Of all the times I've been to Samet I've never paid their entrance fee. Oops you mean Samui. But in Samui you only pay that if you visit the national park, which doesn't cover the whole island. Whereas on Samet it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The parks there are worth it?  Where?  The only ones I've seen are half abandoned with trash about, faded falling apart displays and boardwalks hardly maintained.  

Khao Yai is definitely worth it! During the 10 times I’ve been in the park I don’t recollect seeing excessive trash lying around. The only place there that has “boardwalks” is the Pha Diaw Dai cliff and those were installed probably 10 years ago, before that that is was just a dirt path. I have no idea in what condiction it is right now, though. Either way, Khao Yai is awesome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Again... It's not about being stingy, it is about principle.

 

Also... Disneyland doesn't operate dual pricing for locals vs foreigners, so that is a very poor analogy to use.

It’s not because people have no problem forking out 179 dollars for a one day pass in Disneyland, but 400 Baht for a nice national park is a massive outrage! The very same people who complain about the 400 also don’t seem to have a problem spending hundreds of Baht for booze in a bar and thousands on bargirls.

 

About the principle, I don’t see you doing anything about Thais in general earning way less money than you do, yet you expect to pay the same low prices as the locals do, despite earning probably at least 10 to 20 times as much! 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...