It’s time to scrap two-tiered pricing for foreigners in Thailand: TAT spokesman

webfact

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

W1.jpg.6aa89b21eae6e04a96db6a994eeca5ca.

That sign's a bit lax, they normally write the price in Thai script too to make sure foreigners can't grok what's going on.

its only 10 times more expensive for a farang compared to a thai,don,t know what all the fuss is about.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That sign's a bit lax, they normally write the price in Thai script too to make sure foreigners can't grok what's going on.

im still trying to work out whether

they dont realise that numbers are the same in english, and think they cant tell

or

they know foreigners can tell the differece in price but dont care

I really think that they have a few more things to be concerned about than charging us more

than Thais for entry into an attraction in their country..

I always am amazed how many of you get your knickers in a knot over a couple of hundred Baht

in particular when you have paid no taxes in Thailand. When i was working they always honoured my SS card .Dual pricing is alive & well in just about every country that has commercial tourism.

China only said they got rid of it as many attractions became mandatory for free entry for locals

where they are Government sanctioned. We still pay

• Sad 1

I would never go into an attraction that asked me to pay 200 baht when the local is only charged 20 baht. I used to show my drivers licence and get in for the Thai price but those days are long gone.

I don't shop where I cannot see the prices clearly displayed either. It's racist, pure and simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anterian said:

There is a hidden two tier pricing everywhere, it is called Farang price. Get work done on your house, computer, TV etc there is the Thai price and the Farang price. Same with shopping in street markets in tourist areas. 

Thats why the wife is a busy girl when anything needs doing. Me farang and disapear to the nearest watering hole.

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

A Thai person admitting that mistakes have been made and that a system that has been in place for decades was basically counter-productive from the start?????

I am lost for words.

No you're not !

"I understand that local residents are able to receive a discount, while Chinese from other parts of the country and foreigners, expat or visitors, pay the same higher rate. The local rate, which is sometimes free, is often unpublished."

So? What's your point? We're talking here about general two-tier pricing, which once existed for trains and tourist sites and all sorts of things in China, but which disappeared long ago.

Of course there are anomalies here and there. For example in Wuhan, you can't get a local transport card, saving you a bit on metro/bus fares, without a Chinese ID card to enroll in the app. Some cities don't give senior discounts on transport unless you've got a local senior citizens card. Etc. None of this touches the issue we're discussing here.

Edited by taxout

When I made a (totally non-abusive and for the very first time) comment about 2-tier pricing on the Twitter of TAT, I was immediately blocked! That's their attitude. I'm sure their social media person does not know any better, though I wish I could bring this behaviour to the attention of TAT management. Anybody has the email of TAT management, such as Deputy Governor for Marketing Communications at TAT mentioned in this story?  I don't care to be unblocked, but it totally soured my image of TAT so much!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anterian said:

There is a hidden two tier pricing everywhere, it is called Farang price. Get work done on your house, computer, TV etc there is the Thai price and the Farang price. Same with shopping in street markets in tourist areas. 

Never had a problem with street markets, everything has clear sign how much the item costs. I stopped going to temples that charged a foreigner price after my ex wife laughed that I had to pay more, b*tch!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

This double pricing has gone one for years,somehow i think it never change.they talk about It but nothing happens

Now they need to pay a mandatory inflated insurance package instead 

20 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

Just don't go to places that charge more for foreigners, very easy to solve. Full time residents should be offered a resident card or whatever. Let them charge tourists if they come back.

Dual pricing should not exist in the first place, just not going there means you are missing out unless you pay unfairly,, it's not right my friend.

• Like 2

Farang price happens everywhere, just the other day we went shopping for new shoes for our boy to restart school, the mrs said to me you stay in the car, i know that if the lady that runs this shop see's you the price will go up.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I went to Khon Kaen Zoo once, where they had a big sign in Thai and English with the various prices. Not surprisingly the prices were different, but the thing that got me was that the English language sign had the same discounts for children and over 60s as the Thai script, but when I asked for the seniors price they said, "No, thats for Thais only" ......well why waste your time and money putting up a big sign in English advertising discounts then ? ......Idiots !