Nongnooch Garden scraps two-tiered pricing for expats in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

Baby steps. But a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't go there now on principal. They are pimping for customers now the roles are reversed. Up yours! as the saying goes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I wouldn't go there now on principal. They are pimping for customers now the roles are reversed. Up yours! as the saying goes.

Interesting sentiment.  

I wonder if many tourists will have the same felling about Thailand, in general.

I remember the tsunami in Phuket.  The Thai's begged tourists to come back, releasing statements in the media like, "please don't think you would be taking advantage of us."  The tourists returned to support the Thai's, and what did they do, up the prices, up the rip offs, up the scams, up the extortion etc, and it's remained that way ever since.

Interesting times ahead.    

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Howis it news? Many years that Nong Nooch allow Thai-price for foreigners with a Thai Driving License ! I should know: I visited this place about 3 times a year in last 4-5 years ???? and always paid the smaller Thai price (the one without the show).

me too

I spent more than an hour with a Tat Official in Pattaya Tat office, saying the only thing you have given us farangs, expats foreigners is either ????or ✌️yeah i was livid over the Expat Free debacle and the Racist 50% of Green Fees promoted and sanctioned by said Tat office for Thais only....."your Thais are queuing up for free food they are not flooding golf courses or Tourist attractions" an agreeing nod came back. "We farangs expats etc do the same thing every single day.....Spend money.......and this is your way of saying thanks"

Free tickets might have come way,but they did n,t and if they had i would have sort out the Norwegian Christian church and given them to them as they have done more for the local Thais than there own country folk have.

Me i keep Caddies employed and will continue to do so......but Nong Nooch i would n,t set foot in there if i was paid.

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

I remember the tsunami in Phuket.  The Thai's begged tourists to come back, releasing statements in the media like, "please don't think you would be taking advantage of us."  The tourists returned to support the Thai's, and what did they do, up the prices, up the rip offs, up the scams, up the extortion etc, and it's remained that way ever since.

You forgot they made volunteers get work permits

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You forgot they made volunteers get work permits

I remember seeing the news where volunteers were initially warned, and then basically threatened with being arrested.  What a disgrace.  

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

To be fair, that was six weeks AFTER the Tsunami , when everything was getting back to normal .

A simple "Thank You. Your help is no longer needed" in the media would have been nice.  Maybe even a ceremony on the beach, which an official "Thank You" from the mayor, but no, just threats of arrest and deportation.  Nice way to treat people.  

• Like 1

I've been living in Bangkok for almost two years.  Retired with an OA visa.  Am I considered a "resident"?  If so, can someone tell me how I can go about getting a "Resident card"? Any pointers to a document describing this would be especially welcome.

33 minutes ago, carlf said:

I've been living in Bangkok for almost two years.  Retired with an OA visa.  Am I considered a "resident"?  If so, can someone tell me how I can go about getting a "Resident card"? Any pointers to a document describing this would be especially welcome.

Enquire at your local ampher, first you get a yellow book then a Pink (non-Thai) ID card, lots of threads about it on Thaivisa.

There is no path from retire visa to permanent resident or citizenship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

A simple "Thank You. Your help is no longer needed" in the media would have been nice.  Maybe even a ceremony on the beach, which an official "Thank You" from the mayor, but no, just threats of arrest and deportation.  Nice way to treat people.  

I dont think genuine volunteers where being threatened with deportation. Lots of stories back then about the system being abused, people turning up as volunteers to set up businesses or be tourists.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think genuine volunteers where being threatened with deportation. Lots of stories back then about the system being abused, people turning up as volunteers to set up businesses or be tourists.

Ahhhh, yes, people volunteering to work in a bar.  ????

On 7/4/2020 at 4:23 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Quite often, they served larger portions to the falangs and hence the higher price

Yeah right, and more often they are just gouging the foreigners.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah right, and more often they are just gouging the foreigners.

They usually serve more to foreigners because they have enlarged waistlines and look like they need more. They should also charge more on trams because they take up more space and it takes more fuel to lug them around. Then, because they (ex pats) have such a pissy attitude they should be allowed in and ruin everyone's holiday in the first place.  

Then again, I don't go to touristy places so I should comment. 

Just now, checkered flag said:

They usually serve more to foreigners because they have enlarged waistlines and look like they need more. They should also charge more on trams because they take up more space and it takes more fuel to lug them around. Then, because they (ex pats) have such a pissy attitude they should be allowed in and ruin everyone's holiday in the first place.  

Then again, I don't go to touristy places so I should comment. 

So when an order is taken, the fact it is for a foreigner diner, is forwarded to  the kitchen.... I usually have problems getting cooking or prep instructions forwarded.

Inter-provinciaal air and bus tickets are the same price.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:18 PM, Leaver said:

Interesting sentiment.  

I wonder if many tourists will have the same felling about Thailand, in general.

Interesting times ahead.    

Maybe I didn't see this because I'm American and we weren't included in the campaign. However, I don't believe it would be effective. Tourist from EU and UK come to Thailand because it's cheaper than home and they need to burn a month leave. In the US employees are lucky to get a month off at one time and the flight times are much longer. Americans also have many more options for vacations. American that come aren't looking for cheap and counting every penny, nickle or dime. They stay in nicer places and tip well for services rendered. Maybe that's why they don't whine like those from the EU/UK, and want to concentrate on having a good time (whine free).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So when an order is taken, the fact it is for a foreigner diner, is forwarded to  the kitchen.... I usually have problems getting cooking or prep instructions forwarded.

Inter-provinciaal air and bus tickets are the same price.

They've read here that falongs will send food back if they don't like it. Therefore to cover costs they double the price for falongs.

7 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Maybe I didn't see this because I'm American and we weren't included in the campaign. However, I don't believe it would be effective. Tourist from EU and UK come to Thailand because it's cheaper than home and they need to burn a month leave. In the US employees are lucky to get a month off at one time and the flight times are much longer. Americans also have many more options for vacations. American that come aren't looking for cheap and counting every penny, nickle or dime. They stay in nicer places and tip well for services rendered. Maybe that's why they don't whine like those from the EU/UK, and want to concentrate on having a good time (whine free).

There was a lot of whining in America back in 2008.  The whole country was whining.  ????

In the past, tourists from all countries accepted most of Thailand's shortcomings because it was cheap. Now, Thailand is not so cheap, but still has all of the same shortcomings, if not more. 

Thailand no longer represents a value for money holiday.   

Thailand has positioned itself in an unusual place in the market.  Now too expensive for those willing to put up with the nasty, and still too nasty for the wealthy to consider a holiday here. 

There are many nice 5 Star resorts here, but step outside of the resort, and you can find yourself in a 1 Star location, hardly worthy of paying big money for a holiday in such a location.          

8 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Really? Besides being the Greatest and most Virtuous nation in the whole wide world? The sun must shine out of your nether region.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, checkered flag said:

Is Nong Nooch a must see? I have little desire to visit Pattaya so I've never been in more than 35 years. Am I missing something?

I do like the gardens at Doi Tung though. 

If  you  like gardens  Nong  Nooch  is  very  good.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:07 PM, DrTuner said:

Last time I went, some time ago, all I saw was concrete dinosaurs and strange stuff. Had my elderly mother with me that time, her question was "Where are all the flowers". Just about the same as everywhere - concrete. Thais just love fugly concrete boxes.

Maybe you went to the The Million Years Stone Park & Pattaya Crocodile Farm 

which would explain the concrete dinosaurs 

Edited by wobblyjohn